Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vpn

Options
  • 08-08-2007 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭

can a netopia router be used for a vpn??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 339 ✭✭mastermind2005

yop

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭deepspeed

Elaborate..

What type of VPN are you talking about now??

If you have a VPN server on your network and you want a client on the internet to be able to connect in *through* your netopia - then that will not be a problem, just open the ports (1723) and away you go.

Anything more complicated or secure like passing GRE packets and the likes, and you could be snookered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭coolio_64

want to login to the pc using somthing like the client that comes with xp

cant find any option on the netopia router though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

If you have a look around the telnet interface you'll see references to it. I think you have to buy an upgrade for it though for it to work. Try Hamachi ( google for it ) if you want it for something simple/once off type thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭coolio_64

yes but how exactly can i do this using the netopia router cant see any tutorial on this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

Your netopia router can't act as a VPN endpoint, so you can't use the dial-up/VPN connections to connect to it.

Unless your PC is running a server OS i.e. Windows 2003 server, etc, (or Linux, with some specific Microsoft friendly VPN server software), then no, you can't use the built in VPN client in Windows is the short answer.

You could connect directly using remote destop by opening the apropriate ports on the netopia, but this isn't a VPN, so it's not going to be as secure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

remote desktop is encrypted .

Advertisement