Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone recommend a good family restaurant in Wexford town or near the town?

Options
  • 08-08-2007 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

We are looking to go to a nice restaurant this weekend either in the town or on the outskirts that would be child friendly. We have been to the Ferry Carraig before but not with children so I dont know what they would be like. Any suggestions would be very welcome.:D

Comments

Ferrycarrig is nice - was there recently are there were plenty of kids around.

Lobsterpot is alos good but quite far out.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

Was in the Silver Fox in Kilmore Quay recently and kids were welcome, got their own menu and crayons to use on it, this was 2pm or so so im not sure how it is later in the day. Great food too, a tad pricey perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭cbyrne

That hotel on the east side of the bridge (i.e. heading the back road to Gorey) is really good for food. They serve food in the bar so not too stuffy and really nice atmosphere and i'd say its kids friendly. Doesn't look great from the outside but very nice inside, esp at night or winters evenings (although that obviously isn't this weekend!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭irishtoffee

That would be the Riverbank across the bridge.Whitford hotel is very good aswell.Sidetracks on the Quay is nice if you are just after something simple and quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

Papa Rodhes in Ballycanew... Top Nosh..
    You Might have to sell a kidney to pay for it though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bazzer06

Was in Papa Rhodes on a staff night out recently and canot reccomend enough against it.

First of all, to suggest that it is suitable for a family is ridiculous - nothing on the menu is justifiable for a child, considering the prices.

Secondly, the menu in general is GROSSLY overpriced - IIRC a sirloin steak was 38 euro! but the best part - onions were 7 euro extra. sauce was 3 i think. in fairness the steaks are huge, and mine was cooked perfectly, but these prices are unforgiveable. and tbh eating this much is a gross indulgence - personal decision though, i know!

Lastly, though, i have never in my life seen service so lacking of a smile. when paying prices in this category, one can reasonably expet to be treated very well.... we were glared at when we arrived (in the party spirit, but not rudely so - and to a loud, full restaurant!) and then got three tiny loaves of bread between 17, no water despite repeated requests, and an hour long wait for main courses (we couldnt afford starters!).

But to top it off, following a group toast - which included ONE mildly offensive word - understandable at a work night out i think? - the chef came up to the table and - rather than politely ask us to calm down or watch the language(!) - shouted at the whole table that he would not tolerate vulgarity of that sort in his restaurant!

Only one of us walked out - amazingly - because we were all so hungry at this stage! however, this was a table of 17 restaurant staff and i've never seen so many shocked faces in my life. we were all absolutely stunned. this man should be forcibly removed from the service industry, as the thought of anyone crossing his path as a representative of the Irish hospitality industry shakes me to the bone.

A despicable sleight to the county's restaurant scene

So you are complaining that it is expensive? And then saying that you were surprised you weren't allowed to be shouting / making vulgar toasts?

I mean come on. If I were paying circa 40 quid for one course of a meal and there were 17 people beside me disturbing me, then I would be pissed and complaining to the management.

I have never eaten here so I can't comment on the quaility but it does seem that you have had the staff riled up.

In total - the food was good and the restaurant clamped down on roundy patrons. I don't see whats wrong with that.

i was expecting a reply of that sort at some stage!

first of all, its the restaurant's prerogative not to accept large parties if they do not want to disturb other customers - a party of that size is always going to be noisy. however, we were no louder than any other party of that size would be and our "vulgarity" was literally limited to one word said in jest - in fact, the shocked look after our "rebuke" was not only in our party.

and in any case, i have no problem with a restaurant's staff asking a party to calm down if they are making too much noise - i've done it myself - but we were never asked politely, we were shouted at like a group of children!

i know this might seem like unfounded giving out but what was awful was the fact that, as a group, we are well used to being on the other side of the fence, and were absolutely disgusted by the way we were treated - i'd even go so far as to say we're nicer as customers because we understand what its like! but from the very first moment here, we were treated with contempt. a paying customer is a paying customer no matter how large or "vulgar" the group, and a certain modicum of respect can be expected surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

The Riverbank is always good. Huge variety on the menu and it's always nice and relaxed. I've heard its closing down in the next year or so actually. Pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 leopolly

Let me ask you to consider whether a prodigious amount of drink had been taken by this party of 17. I suppose, given one's natural inclination towards boisterousness when in a large group, drink was most likely a visitor to your collective meal that fateful night.

Now, I don't deny you the opportunity to enjoy a night out with colleagues(not sure of this), or any other large group for that matter; what I do take issue with is the sheer disregard you and your party clearly demonstrated towards the more civil people in the restaurant that evening. That kind of incivility is unpardonable. My partner and I, as frequent diners of the more prestigious establishments, have suffered under the tyranny of these "work" nights out and I can sympathise with those affected so grievously by them.

There is no more pernicious a sin than ruining a night of fine dining for others. Though I don't visit this board with a design for derision, I do suggest, when taking a "work" night out in future, you and your pals head down to the local eddie rockets or some place analogous and curse there. The staff in those places tend to be more accommodating of your types.

Best

Frederick Winterbottom:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

First post and dragging up a 3 year old thread...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 leopolly

Opening pleasantries,

Zerk? Would you consider staying in "your own little world"? Presumably you're the eddie rockets type which, I suppose, serves as some kind of explanation for the ignorance of your comment.;)
    Best etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I wonder do Trolls feed in Eddie Rockets or Papa Rhodes? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

leopolly wrote: »
    Opening pleasantries,

Zerk? Would you consider staying in "your own little world"? Presumably you're the eddie rockets type which, I suppose, serves as some kind of explanation for the ignorance of your comment.;)
    Best etc...
    I agree 100%. As an Eddie Rockets 'type' myself, the ignorance of the Mickey D oinks often astounds ones senses :P

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

Opening pleasantries,

Best etc...

I think zerks comment was pretty spot on. You obviously just Googled papa rhodes and came up with this, then decided to plant some sort of ignorant reply to a 3 year old post.
    what I do take issue with is the sheer disregard you and your party clearly demonstrated towards the more civil people in the restaurant that evening.My partner and I, as frequent diners of the more prestigious establishments
    Mustn't be that frequent if your still hung up on one, Unpardonable swear word only fit for lower class ears that you heard three years ago.

have suffered under the tyranny of these "work" nights out and I can sympathise with those affected so grievously by them.
    There is no more pernicious a sin than ruining a night of fine dining for others.

Ahhhh hear...... Maybe if you eat with the "peasants" in Eddie rockets you could afford to get out more...... which i'm in no doubt you need to do :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Patrick Guilbaud's all the way for me or Shanahans for a steak. Bit of a drive for a meal but it's worth it and my driver gets well paid for taking me.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Was in
    Le Tier Bouchon
    above the Sky & the Ground tonight for my sisters birthday, lovely place, a bit Small and probably not excissivley Child Friendly, But the food was Delicious, the service was prompt and pleasent and the General atmospere was convivial, 11 people 3 courses 2 bottle of Wine and a few pints worked out at E35 per head including a Tip and payin for the Birthday Girl

would definitley recomend it for a Feed, beware the Chocolate brownie tho for Desert VERY VERY VERY Heavy in a Jaysus I should know better kind of way:)

Let me ask you to consider whether a prodigious amount of drink had been taken by this party of 17. I suppose, given one's natural inclination towards boisterousness when in a large group, drink was most likely a visitor to your collective meal that fateful night.

Now, I don't deny you the opportunity to enjoy a night out with colleagues(not sure of this), or any other large group for that matter; what I do take issue with is the sheer disregard you and your party clearly demonstrated towards the more civil people in the restaurant that evening. That kind of incivility is unpardonable. My partner and I, as frequent diners of the more prestigious establishments, have suffered under the tyranny of these "work" nights out and I can sympathise with those affected so grievously by them.

There is no more pernicious a sin than ruining a night of fine dining for others. Though I don't visit this board with a design for derision, I do suggest, when taking a "work" night out in future, you and your pals head down to the local eddie rockets or some place analogous and curse there. The staff in those places tend to be more accommodating of your types.

Best

Frederick Winterbottom:)

The presumptions in this post are astonishing to be honest.

Without dwelling on the complete ignorance of you thinking that people on a "work night out" don't have an interest in good food (why would the plebs who wait the tables have any taste? preposterous!) you've also made many suppositions about how the incident was received at the time. There's no point in me refuting arguments from you which are based on assumptions of what happened.

In general though, you're comments about being a visitor to the more "prestigious establishments" imply a couple of things.

First of all, you evidently see eating as an event of civilities, and perhaps have never experienced eating in the most "rustic" of situations and having a great experience - the best meal i've ever eaten was in a shabby restaurant in a back-alley in Tirana. Guess that wouldn't hit your standards though...

Secondly, you seem to have accepted the new Irish idea that what is expensive is good. Now don't get me wrong, the steaks in Papa Rhodes were amazing - big, juicy and well cooked. However, the prices are unjustifiable. Maybe if you were providing a Michelin-star level service or setting, it could be justified, but this place is a roadside steakhouse with a bit of style. And that's all. If Irish chefs think they can get away with charging these prices, and offering nothing like the innovation that is the norm in similarly priced restaurants elsewhere, then our food industry is in major trouble. And I can't help but think that people like you feed this vicious circle.

I would love to hear that you have now become a restaurant reviewer - Ireland still lacks an equivalent of Michael Winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Anyone been recently to papa Rhodes & if so are prices still sky high ??

Advertisement