Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi

• 08-08-2007 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

hi did any one hear anything about an aldi opening in ferrybank up by belmount ??????:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

There is a strange looking building being built beside the roundabout by belmont I was wondering what it was myself!! That'd be deadly if it was an Aldi, it'd be right by my house :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭irish fighter

i hard it to day so it will be cool if its true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭teckno

Yer all Spot ON!!! Yes the site adjacent to the Belmont Road Roundabout is the new site for Aldi. Ferrybank is going to get quiet busy in the year with Aldi opening and the new shopping centre, Dunnes Stores in the only confirmned tennat so far, but the new shopping centre is going to be bigger then City Square and Lisduggan, so expect the usual tennants for big centres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Jesus, we'll have a fair few supermarkets when all of these are built. If I'm right, this is what we have now in the Waterford area, open and in planning/construction:

1 Dunnes + 1 under construction in Fbk + 1 in planning for Tramore
    1 Aldi + 1 under construction in Fbk
    2 Lidl + 1 in planning for Tramore
    1 Superquinn
    3 Tesco + 1 in planning for Tramore

+ Ardkeen foodstore and umpteen SuperValus, Spars, Londises and Centras

+ hopefully M&S

Does anyone remember when there was Ardkeen Stores, the Hyper, Besco and Crazy Prices in Lisduggan? And that was it... IIRC it was like that in 1992 when I started in WIT (WRTC at the time).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Mkl

what about the super market that was where argos is :) now thats retro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Mkl wrote:
    what about the super market that was where argos is :) now thats retro

I think it was Darrer's, I remember that place whatever it was called.

Speaking of Ferrybank what are the big structures near the pitch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Elevator shafts AFAIK. The site is just down from my house, be the lord its going up at some pace !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

deisemum wrote:

Thats the new shopping centre apparently its twice the size of City Square . I have tried googling to see if they is any website for them but no luck !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

deisemum wrote:

Actually Darrers was where Mc Donalds was, if anyone else can remember Woolworths I'll be amazed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭irish fighter

Wel is there anything else planed for ferrybank/waterford in the next year or two

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Junior wrote:
    Actually Darrers was where Mc Donalds was, if anyone else can remember Woolworths I'll be amazed :D
    Woolworths, Winstons....etc etc

On my first visit to Waterford with my now husband I commented to him that Penneys shop front was very like Woolworths and he said it used to be. The shop front is so typical Penneys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Junior wrote:

Thank God I'm not the only one that remembers that. Yes there is at least one other person that remembers there being a wollworth's in waterford besides me. it was where Debhamnan's is now approx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I remember when L&N had a shop on what is now called, ahem "Red Square" except its no longer red of course.

I'll award a virtual Gold Star for anyone who knows what L&N stood for (no googling!) :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

Was that a Woolworths or was it actually a "Woolys" or something else that sounded like Woolys. Or maybe it was Woolworths and we used to call it that because we were weird. A real Aladdin's cave of sh1te in that shop whatever it was anyway. The old Dunnes was pretty yuk as well but then all Dunnes were yuk at the time. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

mike65 wrote:
    I remember when L&N had a shop on what is now called, ahem "Red Square" except its no longer red of course.

I'll award a virtual Gold Star for anyone who knows what L&N stood for (no googling!) :)

Mike.

London & Newcastle :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭teckno

Darrers or however you spelled it was actually the site of Argos and Mcdonalds if my memory serves me correct. It was a pretty big store with stairs linking them the two shops at the back. Any one remember our pre-Burger King Mcdonalds outlets... The Wimpy and Burgerland with the big bright orange seats!!

One of my first introductions to Waterford's fine dining was The Chuck Wagon :D

It was very popular especially at closing time or when the discos finished. The Peppermint Grove then a visit to the Chuck Wagon what a night :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

D&#233 wrote: »
    Was that a Woolworths or was it actually a "Woolys" or something else that sounded like Woolys. Or maybe it was Woolworths and we used to call it that because we were weird. A real Aladdin's cave of sh1te in that shop whatever it was anyway. The old Dunnes was pretty yuk as well but then all Dunnes were yuk at the time. :D

When Woolworths closed down the manager decided to go it alone and open a shop called "Woolys". It was somewhere around where Debenhams is now. Didnt last too long as far as I remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

I even remember Darres, you could take your shopping out a big dodgy supply lift and come out the back to the carpark !

Anyone remember Burgerland ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 mags82

i do it was where sherwoods is now if i remember right i loved that place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭SMERSH

Where is Brendan McCann to stop all this frivlous construction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

SMERSH wrote:
    Where is Brendan McCann to stop all this frivlous construction?

I think one of the points angrily raised by some commentators is that McCann only objects to stuff being built within the city boundary (where one would think is the appropriate area for big developments), whereas he doesn't object to anything outside the city.

Tramore is of course in the county, and the new Ferrybank Dunnes is in Co. Kilkenny, as I think is the Aldi site, so they seem to fall outside McCann's radar, even though it's arguable that big suburban developments generate more car traffic and undermine the city centre, something which the Green Party ostensibly would decry as "unsustainable".

Pity no-one at GP headquarters has told Mr McCann this...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

>I'll award a virtual Gold Star for anyone who knows what L&N stood for (no googling!)

The London & Newcastle Tea Company.

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Can anyone remember when the City Square was a dirt carpark?? :D
    or
    When you could take a left at Club LA and drive the whole way to the Clock Tower?? :D

Advertisement