Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Iron opinions please.....

• 08-08-2007 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Today I decided to buy a new set of irons. I know a guy in a pro shop so the rrp price of the irons is kind of irrelevant as i will be getting a discount.

I visited the shop earliar on and my mate recommended and gave me four different types of iron to try out on the range at my leisure.

So obviously i went to the range straight away! The clubs, all 6 irons, are Mizuno MX25's, Ping G5's, Taylormade R5 TP's, and King Cobra FP's.

I was hitting the 150 meter green with all clubs and they all felt pretty good to hit with the exception of the Mizunos which i did not really like at all. After 120 balls or so my favorite of the lot (for fairly minor reasons) was the King Cobras.

I'll probably go back tomorrow and hit a few more balls to see if the King Cobra comes out on top again.

Have you guys got any opinions on any if these sets of irons or could you recommend another set of irons?

Cheers,

J

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭padlad

I recently got a set of callaway x20's, v nice, well worth a try imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

I picked up a set of Wilson Staff Di7's last week and have been quite impressed with their performance. Can't comment on the clubs your trying but I suppose it's what you feel most comfortable with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Novacastrian

I picked up a set of Callaway X-18's last Friday, only used them once so far but feel great.
    See my earlier post about sales assisstants, McGuirks, Premium Golf, Golfworks, all not worth the effort. Spent about 2 hours trying to find Nevada Bobs (as I'm a northsider), sales staff great and a nice price on the irons, 3 - SW only €400.
    I also noticed that Mcguirks are well over priced for accessories such as tee's, markers and even some gloves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

The Cobras are very, very good clubs. Owned by Acushnet (Titleist) so you're getting quality. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Graeme1982 wrote:
    The Cobras are very, very good clubs. Owned by Acushnet (Titleist) so you're getting quality. Good luck.

Agree. Cobra clubs are (or at least they were) made in the same factory as Titleist irons, so they're excellent. They're basically the budget version of Titleist.

OP, just so you know the mark up on Brand name irons and woods is very little, so if your mate works in a large store like McGuirks the discount is generally not a whole lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Graeme1982 wrote:
    The Cobras are very, very good clubs. Owned by Acushnet (Titleist) so you're getting quality.
    Agree. Cobra clubs are (or at least they were) made in the same factory as Titleist irons, so they're excellent. They're basically the budget version of Titleist.

No kiddin?? I never knew that... Hmmm, Cobra are not a brand I ever would've really considered when golf shopping - I guess because they're not as fashionable as other big names... But if I'd known the above.... hmmmm....

BTW, I have a set of Mizunos (I think they're the X25s or maybe X22??) and they're lovely irons... but, each to their own I guess...

Believe it or not, Pinnacle is also an Acushnet (Titleist) brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭JuJuYNWA

Thanks for your comments guys, i bought the cobras this afternoon. They were priced at 500 on the shop floor and i got them for 300 with a custom fitting (this is free anyway i think).

Can't wait to get out and play!!!!!

Good choice! Best of luck with them. That sounds like a very good deal. Let us know how you're getting on with them in the coming months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

I have mizuno mx-23 and they are great. Get whatever you feel most comfortable with though.

Edit, I see you have gone for the Cobras. Best of luck with them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

goslie wrote:
    I picked up a set of Callaway X-18's last Friday, only used them once so far but feel great.

I picked up a set of these myself. Really happy with them, I've only just upgraded from my first beginner set. They can be had at a good price due to the launch of the X-20 just recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭dunser

I bought new set of Mcgregors V foil 565 few months ago, I have say I am very impressed. Nice feel, Good strike etc . They were recommedned by few players who played off between, 4 & 14. I play off 20 myself.

Advertisement