Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Chinatown' price hike - Beware

Options
  • 08-08-2007 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Since we're all being fatties and talking about food....

Went into Chinatown on Newcastle road for a fix since i'd been swimming and too tired to cook.

Usually the GF and myself get our meal (Always get the same thing) and 2 can's of coke for 17.80 (Well it's always under 18eur). We give 20 and leave a 2euro odd tip

Imagine our surprise tonight when we went to pay, and they ask us for 24euro :eek:

That's a hike of 6euro :eek: :eek:

OK so they've renovated the place, and got a wine license. TBH I preferred the place before it was done up, and i'm always driving so wouldn't drink anyways. Tell ya what, it'll be take-away from now on (Don't think the take-away prices hace changed although I *did* overhear someone complaining about the price on the phone so take-away/deliveries could have gone up also)

OK so I realise everywhere up's their prices at some stage, but that's a SERIOUS hike, and without warning. I wouldn't mind if they even mentioned on a little notice on the wall that their prices have raised etc. I always go in there knowing im safe with 20eur. Thank feck I had spare change or it could have been quite embarrassing :o

Just a warning to one and all </semi rant>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you stop going - make sure to tell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

biko wrote:
    If you stop going - make sure to tell them.

I was with the GF so didn't bother saying anything. Would it be uber gh3y to write to them, advising to at least put a note up to inform other customers? (ie. give me coupons, kewponsssss!):D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sure, why not? Or just go in and talk to the manager to let him know that he is loosing customers.

It pisses me off when people rant/complain on internet forums but don't do anything about it in real life. A business looses customers and can't fix the issues cause no-one bothers to tell them why. Not directly aimed at you John, just posters in general. If you do tell them and they won't do anything about it, then it's ok to complain in my book.

biko wrote:
    Sure, why not? Or just go in and talk to the manager to let him know that he is loosing customers.

It pisses me off when people rant/complain on internet forums but don't do anything about it in real life. A business looses customers and can't fix the issues cause no-one bothers to tell them why. Not directly aimed at you John, just posters in general. If you do tell them and they won't do anything about it, then it's ok to complain in my book.

I've written a letter saying that I was shocked that we weren't at least informed of the price increase (Generally we don't even ask for a menu as we know what we want). Secondly that it was a bit embarassing as we didn't think we had enough money. Thirdly, that I predict staff motovation will decrease as they'll probably be getting less tips (Won't be getting any more tips from me anyhow - not their fault but I can't condone it) and finally that I won't be eating in there again, only take-away from now on (From what I can see take-away prices haven't increased) which is a pitty because i've been eating in there for years (About once a week)

Got a reply letter this morning. They explained why their prices have risen and I can justify it, fair enough I say.

However, not even a feckin voucher (I'm a hungry student!) which I would have loved ;)

Anyhow, prob won't 'Eat In' again, but will continue to get take-away as the food is decent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

jaysus, you're one of them kind of customers. reminds me of when a customer started shouting at me and my manager in rage when i told her that my shop didnt sell thread anymore!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Just got some grub delivered from Chinatown. Barbeque pork with spring onion and ginger.

- Fatty pork
    - The ****ty flavourless dark green end bits of the spring onion
    - Not a hint of ginger (which was the bit I really wanted)

Tut tut tut :(

JIZZLORD wrote:
    jaysus, you're one of them kind of customers. reminds me of when a customer started shouting at me and my manager in rage when i told her that my shop didnt sell thread anymore!

:D

I'm the kind of customer that returns when i'm happy with service, as I expect. My business deal's with the public every day, I do not leave a client until they are happy. Why? Because I want to see them talk to their friends and recommend me.

If someone was not happy with my product/service I would be grateful for the feedback so i'd know where to improve. This is exactly what I done by writing a letter to Chinatown, I informed them that they've lost a long time customer because of the serious price rise in their food.

So, IMHO 'one of those customers' is a good customer tbh because I at least let them know why I wasn't happy with the service/product and why I wouldn't be returning.

Actually, no, scrap that whole damn thing. I wrote cause I wanted coupons... COUPONS!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i was taking the piss :D a price rise of over a third for food is insane though, it's just most people, myself included are too apathetic to complain

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

JohnCleary wrote:
    However, not even a feckin voucher (I'm a hungry student!) which I would have loved ;)

A hungry student - no wonder you've time to write letters! :D
    JohnCleary wrote:
    I'm the kind of customer that returns when i'm happy with service, as I expect. My business deal's with the public every day, I do not leave a client until they are happy. Why? Because I want to see them talk to their friends and recommend me.

Thought you were a hungry student! You've got your own business??? :confused: :rolleyes: Stop writing letters and get back to work! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Home cooking ftw. Dunnes in Eyre Square were selling full salmon for eleven euro there (enough for four people), mash up some spuds with good butter, salt, onions, fresh garlic, and chopped scallions mixed into the mash after its cooked, and you have a meal fit for the gods. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

JohnCleary wrote:
    I've written a letter saying that I was shocked that we weren't at least informed of the price increase (Generally we don't even ask for a menu as we know what we want). Secondly that it was a bit embarassing as we didn't think we had enough money. Thirdly, that I predict staff motovation will decrease as they'll probably be getting less tips (Won't be getting any more tips from me anyhow - not their fault but I can't condone it) and finally that I won't be eating in there again, only take-away from now on (From what I can see take-away prices haven't increased) which is a pitty because i've been eating in there for years (About once a week)

Maybe they had the price increase in the menu and when you didn't ask they assumed that you knew or didn't care about the price rise.

Del2005 wrote:
    Maybe they had the price increase in the menu and when you didn't ask they assumed that you knew or didn't care about the price rise.

I accept this, and yes, they mentioned this in the reply letter, yet still apologised on behalf of the staff member who didn't mention the price increase

Home cooking ftw. Dunnes in Eyre Square were selling full salmon for eleven euro there (enough for four people), mash up some spuds with good butter, salt, onions, fresh garlic, and chopped scallions mixed into the mash after its cooked, and you have a meal fit for the gods. :D

I love cooking. I'm away in college 9 month's of the year and pretty much alway's cook. It's cheaper and nicer. I only eat out on the weekend's or if i've been working late and don't have time/energy to cook.

I must get a little bit more creative this term :D

Advertisement