Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 730d Secondhand

Options
  • 08-08-2007 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Hi,

anyone got ownership experience with a BMW 730d? The early 03 ones are dropping nicely in price now and given how nicely specced they seem to be, they could be a nice car to have.

What are people's thoughts on the car? I know the styling isn't to everyone's taste, but I'm ok with the design of the car. So what I'm looking for is opinions on the car itself and what it's like to own. What sort or mpg does it return? I'd be expecting about 32mpg.

Thanks all.

A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

anyone?

I should just go drive one myself really.....

• Registered Users Posts: 65,373 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

An early '03 is about €40k and will still depreciate about €15k over the next two years. Importing is a bit of a no no with VRT being €14k (based on an OMSP of an unrealistic €47k)

Diesel consumption should be on the good side of 30MPH even with a heavy enough foot

Would you consider a petrol? They've come down to about €25k for an '02

That said, it's a good car and if you like the looks and can afford it, go for it! :)

The looks are starting to grow on me too. For the record, I've never even been inside a new model, but I've happily owned the old model for the last 4 years

you know you're right unkel, a saving of 15k to buy a petrol would pay for an awful lot of fuel.

I'm a big diesel fan though, but I might consider it.

Ha, maybe I should wait for 2 years and pick one up even cheaper.

With your own car, has maintenance been affordable? With a good independent mechanic and doing some bits yourself, is there anything on them that just costs a fortune? If I got one, I'd nearly buy a warranty. I bought a Peugeot 607 about 2 years ago and although I love the car, it has cost a bit. Cost me about 4k in repairs already....all outside of warranty. Not the cars fault, just stuff that needed replacing all at the same time. Ouch.

Thanks for the advice.

AlanD wrote:
    Ha, maybe I should wait for 2 years and pick one up even cheaper

You might find yourself competing with me if you decide to wait :)
    AlanD wrote:
    With your own car, has maintenance been affordable? With a good independent mechanic and doing some bits yourself

I do nothing myself and let a good indy do all the work. In 4 years (now @137k miles) a door handle has broken off and a steel cable in the electric window mechanism has broken. That wasn't more expensive than on a small family hatch
    AlanD wrote:
    I'd nearly buy a warranty

I wonder what kind of warranties are available in the market. I'd be interested in that myself but I doubt older cars would be covered

... and you know what, tax will have changed in 2 years time so maybe I wouldn't have to fork out 1300 for a 2.9 diesel! Hate the thoughts of that part of it.

Even on honestjohn, reliability issues are few and far between for the 7. Most seem to be individual monday morning cars. I reckon the engine and electrics are good for a while.

So a car with nav, tv, xenons, decent miles, good history, it'd do for a good while.

For warranties, I looked in to buying for the 607 and they may only take cars up to 100k miles. But charge is about 400/500 a year. We decided against it....the next week, the clutch went!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

The oul lad got 2 new since 2006. They are animal fast and they nearly run off the smell of diesel. The satellite navigation is a bit complicated but it's great in every other way.

AlanD wrote:
    ... and you know what, tax will have changed in 2 years time

I'd be afraid that if tax on ownership goes down dramatically, the price of old big engined petrol barges will shoot up. Anyway, there's absolutely no news yet of what will happen to motor tax / VRT / emissions / excise duty, etc.
    AlanD wrote:
    For warranties, I looked in to buying for the 607 and they may only take cars up to 100k miles. But charge is about 400/500 a year

Comprehensive warranty (excluding wear and tear)? That's less than I expected for a 607!

So how about a Citroen C6 2.7 diesel then? :D

In fairness to the 607, out of all the Peugeot's the 607 is probably the most reliable. They generally don't give trouble. Have a lot of experience with them....

So the warranty cost wasn't so much. Wish I got it though, cos it might have covered my clutch. Just one of those things.

Yeah the tax situation may change the price of secondhands alright, but big petrol barges may not change. If it goes the UK way, on CO2 emmissions, the big V6's and V8's will still produce a lot, but the big diesels may not.

A C6 is high on the list for sure. Would love one. Really love the 607 and would buy another one in the morning....in auto with xenons, but if a 730d or C6 came my way for good money, I'd be in there.

Advertisement