Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When is a father not a father......

• 08-08-2007 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

When is a father not a father, when he's Irish.

If you were to see a (roughly) ten foot by 3 foot sign hung up with the words above printed in big block capital letters on it, what would you think it means?
    I was thinking maybe it was some sort of protest thing by a fathers rights group or maybe a pissed off single mothers group....I was just wondering if anyone else has seen one of these signs and if they knew what it meant, I have seen 3 in the past 2 months, two in Tallaght and one in the city centre. Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

sounds like a protest by a fathers rights group. Men can have very little rights of access to their children following separation/divorce. Maybe try the parenting forum I'm sure the people over there would know more on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

two in Tallaght and one in the city center, I'm sure babies are involved somehow, it's not surprising where you saw the signs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Sounds like a fathers group. There is a lot of genuine fathers out there with little rights to their kids but having personally witnessed the actions of prominent members of such groups with relation to the treatment of their own children, it's no wonder to be honest and if i had the choice to make,i wouldn't be changing either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Its to do with the complete lack of rights in Ireland if you're an unmarried father. You basically don't exist in the eyes of the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

saw one on the m50 roundabout by the spawell. i thought it was some bint complainin that men never look after their responsibilities as a father and feck off to the pub or run off or sumtin.

only found out afterwards that it was tryin to support fathers right to have more control over their kids n stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Sangre wrote:
    Its to do with the complete lack of rights in Ireland if you're an unmarried father. You basically don't exist in the eyes of the law.

I'd say so, name on birth cert if unmarried means nothing.

No guardianship, access or custody entitlements whatsoever. Basically you don't exist in the law.If you walk away the law does't care either as long as you pay maintenace.

Anyway rant over. Plenty of useless fathers too.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Seanies32 wrote:
    I'd say so, name on birth cert if unmarried means nothing.

No guardianship, access or custody entitlements whatsoever. Basically you don't exist in the law.If you walk away the law does't care either as long as you pay maintenace.

Anyway rant over. Plenty of useless fathers too.

Indeed. It makes things unnecessarily complicated for unmarried couples.

Though it's amusing when they get you to sign for things without bothering to ask if you're the legal guardian. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

its part of Ray Kellys campign IIRC he ran for election in dublin south west

http://www.usfi.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

slipss wrote:
    When is a father not a father, when he's Irish.

If you were to see a (roughly) ten foot by 3 foot sign hung up with the words above printed in big block capital letters on it, what would you think it means?
    I was thinking maybe it was some sort of protest thing by a fathers rights group or maybe a pissed off single mothers group....I was just wondering if anyone else has seen one of these signs and if they knew what it meant, I have seen 3 in the past 2 months, two in Tallaght and one in the city centre. Any ideas?
    An insinuation that Ireland has more post-op male->female TS than any other country?;)

Advertisement