Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mobile phone earpieces...lol

• 08-08-2007 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

I know theyve been around for years but is it just me or over the last two odd months have the amount of middle aged men walking the streets with them multiplied? (for whatever reason this normally technophobic group of luddites seem to be the one and only market for these things that, unless you are driving or working in an environment like a building site, are completely pointless)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

they are definately becoming more popular and they do look very silly I don't know why people need them, it's not to hard holding a phone up to your ear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Some of the bluetooth ones I have seen people wear look very odd and have a very bright blue flashing light, almost like some wacky device from a sci-fi film.:eek:

Similar to this has happened on more than one occasion! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I don't know why people just don't lift them and put them to their ear when the phone rings. After all isn't that what they do with the handset???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

People were probably also giving out back when wrist watches started to replace pocket watches. They may look silly, but its simply a matter of convenience IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Alanthroneus

i reckon its because they brought in the driving while on the phone law....so they use them so they dont have to have them in their hands...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

People were probably also giving out back when wrist watches started to replace pocket watches. They may look silly, but its simply a matter of convenience IMO.

Sticking a bluetooth on your wrist is even more wierd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

i reckon its because they brought in the driving while on the phone law....so they use them so they dont have to have them in their hands...

What he said. I reckon the majority of people use them because of the mobile phone while driving ban. Then they either forget to remove them or just leave them there for the convenience of it. But yeah, they do look silly :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

I have seen a major increase in these also, but to be fair, most are attached to the ear of a black man.

Is it a fashion statement I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Alanthroneus

Mear wrote:
    I have seen a major increase in these also, but to be fair, most are attached to the ear of a black man.

i have never seen a black guy with one...ever....its moslty fat deliverymen and taxi drivers i see with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

ye more black men. only whiteys i've seen is taxi drivers. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I've only noticed this phenomenon in the last few months but it quite annoys me. I always think at first that the person is talking to themselves before I realise that they're on the phone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

its moslty fat deliverymen and taxi drivers i see with them
    Surprising that seeing as they spend most of their time driving ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

just back from Florida and the number of people i saw walking about with blue tooth headsets was ridiculous. OK ya get out of the car and its on fine ya then take it off. But getting on a bloody rollercoaster at a fun park wft?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yep, here and in the UK, usually black dudes I've seen wearing these while walking down the street.

Had there been no ban while driving, I don't think these would have really taken off in the way they have. I would say most people that you see using them in public, use them for work and just don't take them off when they get out of the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

before the bluetooth ear pieces came out lots of people just used the old hands free connection so they are just upgrading from them i'd say..... i have gotten past it looking weird at this stage.

another reason is that alot of phones came with a free 1 for a while so its a novelty for these people to use them. a new toy for them to use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Is the OP is talking about Bluetooth head pieces, don't undertand that myself but he did say moblile phone earpieces which could mean headphones ?

If it's headphones maybe they're listening to the radio or MP3 on it ? I use my radio on the phone all the time such as on a bus etc, doesn't mean I'm sitting there waiting on a bloody phone call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

I use mine when I am out pushing my sons buggy, its not that easy to push a buggy one hand and talk on the phone, also handy if I am doing a network job and stuck under a desk or up a ladder

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bytesize

i thought it would have been common sense/knowledge that people wear them to have less of a chance of their phone being robbed. as in if you're holding your phone to your ear and a scumbag runs by and grabs it out of your hand. this has happened to a few p[eople i know and people i know have also been witness to it.

basically id rather a 15 euro, or there abouts, bluetooth earpiece to be stolen than my few hundred euro phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

I use mine the odd time coz its bloody awkward to get on and off. But now have the bluetooth headphones with the built in mic I get awful weird looks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I use them. Not always but I do it for convenience, it's particularly nice if you need to do something with your hands when you're chatting to someone... eg when making dinner etc. What's the point in complaining about it? Too cool for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

If you can demonstrate a rationale for using a bluetooth headset (delivery driver, taxi driver, both hands always in use etc so needed for work) then they are perfectly acceptable and indeed very useful.

If you use a bluetooth headset and cannot demonstrate its necessity to you then you need to be made aware that you are a lot less important than you think you are, and that you are a twat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

They can be useful in town to prevent people from running up and yoinking your phone :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

I must admit it does look odd. The point about people using them for music is a good one.
    Jigsaw wrote:
    ..and that you are a twat.

I agree although remember the time when people who used mobile phones were considered twats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

They can be useful in town to prevent people from running up and yoinking your phone :).

Id imagine its alot easier to pull a wireless receiver off someones ear than try and grab it out of a hand :confused:

aye Sarn, it was only around 1998 or so "real people" started getting them. Before then the opinion was that unless you were a doctor, lawyer or businessman you were a knob for having one :D By the start of 2001 you were a stuk in the past weirdo if you didnt have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

sioda wrote:
    I use mine the odd time coz its bloody awkward to get on and off. But now have the bluetooth headphones with the built in mic I get awful weird looks

just ave a pretend conversation walking down the street with it...should be fine then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I use mine when I happen to be using the xda exec.
    You dont wanna be seen using an exec on call mode up to your ear tbh :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

They only bother me when people have their bluetooth in their ear, nattering away but still hold their mobile in their hand. Why, people? WHY?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

00112984 wrote:
    They only bother me when people have their bluetooth in their ear, nattering away but still hold their mobile in their hand. Why, people? WHY?
    Saw a guy in town one day.
    Exact same phone and headphones as me. (I used the phone as an mp3 player.)
    Anyway, this guy was walking down the street with the headphones in ears, phone in his hand and talking to someone.
    How ****ing hard is it to unplug the headphones?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

That's why mobile phones were invented.

It was all a conspiracy by the Anti Wrist Watch Group to get people back to digging into their pockets to find the time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Reading the History of Psychiatry. Until mobile phones, when people walked about talking (as if to themselves), they put them in rubber rooms. Now the phone company sends them a bill. Makes ye wonder?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Mear wrote:

I dunno, all of them Ive seen have been Irish "your dad and uncles" types i.e. Irish between 43 and 55, usually with a bit of a stomach.

As someone said, half the time you think they have said something to you and turn around to reply until you see that dopey thing hanging off their ear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

Jigsaw wrote:
    If you use a bluetooth headset and cannot demonstrate its necessity to you then you need to be made aware that you are a lot less important than you think you are, and that you are a twat.

true lol! A friend saw a guy driving along with his 'cool' bluetooth headset the other day - in a Fiat Uno. These headsets are extremely popular with certain types in the US - usually 30-40 something men who try to dress as tho they're loaded but smack of desperation at the same time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Funny how the comments about the type of people who use these
    bluetooth headsets are the exact same negative comments that
    were made about the people who first used mobile phones back in
    the early 90s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

I dreamt I was wearing mine last night. (It's a pink one!)
    How very odd!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I have a Bluetooth speaker that's clipped to the sun visor in the car. Find it a lot better than an earpiece myself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I want one now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I use one in my car. Tried a bluetooth speaker thing but found it rubbish. Can't be arsed spending a load of money to get a proper car kit.

Advertisement