Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen Tap fitting Help

Options
  • 08-08-2007 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently got a new kitchen fitted and the Mrs bought a lovely kitchen Tap on Ebay (Picture attached).. When the fitter tried to connect it to the worktop he found out that the housing which connects it to the worktop was to short. We got a solid wood worktop which is 40mm, 10mm thicker than the average worktop. The piece which holds tap to the worktop is a brass 1 inch pipe with a fine thread on it. Two flexible pipes go through this from Tap and go under worktop. The brass pipe has about 5mm of thread at the top then it stops for about 2mm this just lets the tap screw a certain dept into it.

I have tried a few plumbing shops and builder suppliers around me to find a piece I could extend it with but I have had no success. The 1 inch pipe they had all had a heavy thread and would not fit tap or I couldnt join it onto the original pipe. One guy said one of my options would be to braze a piece of the 1 inch pipe to the original and use the nut that comes with it.

Any help or advice would be grateful....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I might be totally misunderstanding the problem, but cant you just bore a wider hole (say 1.5 inches in diameter) with a 10mm depth and then attach the tap as normal?
    In essence make the section of worktop where the tap is "normal" thickness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

Have come across this before, drill out the worktop from underneath.
    The diameter of the hole should be just enough for the back nut of the tap.
    The depth of the hole should only be a little more than the amount that the tap is short.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭tdavfc

Thanks folks for the replies... Gonna try this... Its very hard to get at as we have an under mounted sink as well so not much room. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

take out the sink again as the shot u are playing is not an easy one so u need all the room u can get.

The reason it is tricky is that u already have say a 45mm hole and u want to enlarge it to say 55mm but only to a certain depth.

One way of doing this is with the correct size hole saw, u need two people
    To keep it on centre put a bit of waste wood over the hole and hold it.
    The centre bit in the hole saw will then stay centre.
    Keep your palms away from where the centre bit might come up through

However remem that the w/top will be v weak when sink out so dont lean on it too much.
    HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭tdavfc

Cheers Ircoha.... Good idea as I already tired a hole saw and it bounced all over the place. Will try the waste bit of wood....

• Advertisement
Advertisement