Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seatbelt Offence

• 08-08-2007 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

Hi just to let people know that if there is a mistake on any garda summons that it is not valid.
    A few weeks ago i was driving through wicklow main street coming out of the town i past a junction where a garda van was waiting to turn up the main street i seen him and had no belt on at the time but didnt want to make it obivous so i didnt go to put it on.
    When i past them i checked my rear view mirror to see them swing out and come after me i grabed the belt and put it on before he caught up with me.
    When he caught up to me he put hes blue lights on and signaled me to pull over he came up to the window and said do you know how dangerous it is to put a belt on while driving, i said i had it on me all time he took me licence wrote down details asked if it was my car ect, and said id be reciving a fine in post and penalty points.
    About a week later i recived a fine in post but i noticed he had the wrong time on the summons the fine said 08:47hrs when it should have been 20:47hrs so i rang the central fines office and they gave me the Gardas name who gave me the fine and he was based in the gorey traffic corps.
    So i had to write off to the superintendent in gorey explaing the error and sent a photocopy of fine to him.
    Three weeks past and i heard nowt so i rang the superintendents office and was talking to his secretary she told me that they had recived it but they had to send it to wexford for some reason then to wicklow guards as the offence happened and only they could change it there even though the guard was based in gorey.
    Another week passed and i recived a letter from the inspector in wicklow that the case has been droped and there was no further action required from me.

So if anyone gets any fine check time, place, reg everything on the summons before paying :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

or wear a seatbelt!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You better hope Karma isnt on his mobile next time he's doing a furniture delivery in his truck and broadsides you when your not wearing your seatbelt next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

i am a truck driver

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

That's nice.

Law states you wear a seatbelt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

vickers209 wrote:
    So if anyone gets any fine check time, place, reg everything on the summons before paying :D

Wear your feckin' seatbelt in the first place and you won't have that problem now Timmy, will you?

Another smart arse looking for a way out.... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

vickers209 wrote:
    i am a truck driver

Timmy the Truck Driver? Or Donny the Truck Driver?

@run Timmy

Vrrrooom vrooom. When I grow up I want to be a bicycle!

<twitch>

Ya ha ha.

<dribble>

@end Timmy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

its easy forgot nearly always had it on and i make sure now after that experince

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

And what plan did you come up with when your lying dead with your head through a windscreen?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

vickers209 wrote:
    its easy forgot

I find it almost impossible to forget my seatbelt. I feel awkward and a kind of fallign forward feelign when I dont have it on.It just feels wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dish

Look ppl all he said was to check it out! Nobody really likes giving away substanial amounts of money anyway and I cant imagine many ppl like gettin penalty points on their license!

I know he should of been wearing his seatbelt yea! But like he got away with paying a fine! So night out!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Vickors209, see what you have done?? you tried to help by letting people know how they might get away with a fine for the one time in a thousand that they forgot to put their seatbelt on....
    and instead you've stirred up the pc brigade.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

pred racer wrote:
    Vickors209, see what you have done?? you tried to help by letting people know how they might get away with a fine for the one time in a thousand that they forgot to put their seatbelt on....
    and instead you've stirred up the pc brigade.:eek:

Just feckin belt up lads! It's a jungle out there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

I wouldnt be suprised if that case was droppped but a new fine comes your way shortly with the correct details vickers09 ;) have seen many a person trying to get off on this one alas they just drop the old fine as in your case (and why you recieved the letter) and send out a new one with correct details on it so you have only really delayed the inevitable.

belt up next time as its incredibly stupid to not use a belt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Did anyone else notice that this was Vickers209's first post on boards?

I think that this guy may well be related to M & 50, the Toll TROLLS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Similar thing happened to me, I was in a loading bay, small commercial, but it recently had it's operational times changed from the usual 7-7 to 10-4 and a clearway outside of those hours. Anyway I was parked in it at around 4.30 and duly got a parking ticket, my reg was wrong on the ticket so I went to the Garda station and the Guard on the desk took a record and tore up my ticket.

Also if the op doesn't want to wear his belt, I don't really care once it's not my bonnet he lands on when he goes flying through his windscreen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I see all the people on their high horses are out in force...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Two young men died at the weekend because they forgot to put on their seat belts. Well done.

I absolutely cannot fathom how someone can "forget" to put their seatbelt on. For me it would be like "forgetting" to close the driver door or "forgetting" to change gear.

This is without reference to the OP's case. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

The OP is a truck driver though, probably delivering in the middle of the town and probably getting in and out of the truck every couple of hundred yards.. and possibly not even getting above 20mph.

I myself used to work as a sales rep in dublin city centre in this kind of situation, I always belted up mind but I can see how somebody can neglect to do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Jaysus, some of the moral highground takers on boards do my head in. He has stated he normally wears a seatbelt but for one reason or another didnt have one on at this point. He is trying to make a helpful post. Get off you high horses ffs!