Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Blacked out windows

Options
  • 08-08-2007 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭

Following a discussion with some folks at work - Just out of interest, what are peoples thoughts on drivers with blacked out windows?

I am talking about drivers who completely black out the front driver and passenger windows on there car (or that silver reflective film).

Dodgy scumbags or people with something to hide? Or just car modifiers or middle aged men trying to be "cool"?

No one can convince me that the Irish weather is sunny or hot enough to warrant a completely blacked out car.

Maybe I am missing another angle?? Is Ireland full of A-list celebs hiding from the paparazzi behind their dark windows?:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Are blacked out window modifications not illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Not sure mate but there are plenty of them about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭AlanAhern

my back ones are tinted for security so pavvy c**ts cant see and get what i have worked long and hard for.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Sorry to hijack the thread but does anyone have a good source for a complete blackout for the 2 back windows of a van? The guy I got it off has them done with a heavy stick on tint but you can see through it from about a foot. Im lookign for something that you cant see through at all. cheers

I can totally understand the back windows being blacked out especially on a van or commercial jeep etc.

I'm just really talking about people who black out every window on their regular passenger car except the front screen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I think they look a bit stupid and tend not to be as courteous to them as other road users. For i.e. if I'm approaching a junction with a side road and there's a car waiting to turn onto the road I'm on, I'll generally slow down and flash or wave them out. If I can't see the driver I can't see if he's paying attention and I'm not going to stop and wait for him to realise somebody is letting him out so the tintees have to wait as far as I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dish

alan4cult wrote:
    Are blacked out window modifications not illegal?

No, they tried to do it i think 2 years back but never worked! Like celebs (even though not many in Ireland), n all have them! Its illegal to tint the front window just I think! The sides are fine! I dont like full black out ones! 30% is plenty! FGives a nice shade nd makes it difficult to see in!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

You can tint the fronts to a certain percentage (the lower the percentage, the darker the tint, IIRC). Ivor Callaly (sp?), I believe, was the one trying to push it into the realm of illegality.

I have my car tinted, and my last car was tinted. Our work van is also tinted. All done with a medium tint at the back and light at the front; it all ends up looking like the same level of tint when it's finished.

I like the look, but they've all been black cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dish

I love the jap way of tintin windows! Dark at the back side windows nd norhing to light for drivers windows! Sexual Lookin!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

I had that japanese tint on my car, had to get someone to fit it, it was a mess, bubbles everywhere and cracks appeared. The rear screen tint was in 3 pieces to apply. The instructions and tools (plastic knife and block) were in japanese. After it was fitted, I couldnt even see through the rear window so just threw the lot in the bin. Still have a replacement box but dont know whether Ill fit it myself.

The East European Bmws, audi's etc all appear to be covered with black out tints and large white lettering on the rear screen. I think the word "mafia" springs to mind :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Stekelly wrote:
    Sorry to hijack the thread but does anyone have a good source for a complete blackout for the 2 back windows of a van? The guy I got it off has them done with a heavy stick on tint but you can see through it from about a foot. Im lookign for something that you cant see through at all. cheers

He needs to lighty tint the front two so the van lets less light in. Vision FX or Shades will do it google them.

Tints are fine as long as you can see out. As Dish has menioned the Jap way is the correct way to do it. The car will still look dark but you'll be able to see out.
    The back window is usually done in two strips because the size of the film is quite small when it comes in rolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

Tinted windows are for serial masturbators, honda civvys being the more notorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

I want to get this done on my silver 3 series - when its dark out is it really difficule to see?

Are the windows replaced or is it just a film that goes on them?

528i wrote:
    Tinted windows are for serial masturbators, honda civvys being the more notorious.

:D:D CLASSIC :D:D:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Tinted windows? Two words:

"stooreeeee bud" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Cereal Killer

PauloMN wrote:
    Tinted windows? Two words:

"stooreeeee bud" :rolleyes:

That's the best you could contribute, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Thing is, he's right. The blackened windows fad starts with the baseball cap brigade and goes all the way up to south Dublin peroxide blondes in luxury SUVs. Who, give or take the car and the hair, are pretty much the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Elessar wrote:
    I want to get this done on my silver 3 series - when its dark out is it really difficule to see?

Are the windows replaced or is it just a film that goes on them?
    Yep. Impossible to reverse in the dark with the windows up.

*Commercial LandCruiser btw.

To all the funny people; I'd like to mention that around where I live the majority of people who have blacked out tints are soccer momies with their big MPV's and two kids in the back seat.

I've never seen the silver tints from the inside. 7 years ago when I was tinting windows they weren't out.
    Can you still chosse froma light med and dark tint?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

It's a joke FFS. Well, kind of.

Anyway soccer moms, yummy mummies etc. - new money can be as brash as the "stooreee bud" types. For example, X5s are not cheap, could never afford one myself, doesn't mean that when tints and big chrome wheels are stuck on them that they don't look knack.

• Advertisement

Then what your saying is you (and I want to emphasise the word YOU) see it as a knacker thing even though everyone from D4 Justin in his Santa Fé to TD's in Limos have them. Good logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

layke wrote:
    Then what your saying is you (and I want to emphasise the word YOU) see it as a knacker thing even though everyone from D4 Justin in his Santa Fé to TD's in Limos have them. Good logic.
    Not just him. Me too.:)

My my...what have I started??

So to summerise, we can dismiss the A-List celeb theory, it seems that blacked out windows are favoured by SUV driving soccer mums (maybe to hide their unmade up faces or scraggy morning hair on those school runs) and the Burbury baseball cap wearing Honda Civic / Glanza driving "Stoooorreee Bud" crowd - or "Howya Heads" as discribed by a workmate :D

General concensus is that they are a tacky add on unless you are a builder/plumber/electrician etc hiding your tools & goods away from theiving feckers (probably wearing a Burbury cap and making their getaway in a Glanza) :D

layke wrote:

You've never heard of rich knackers? :D Doesn't matter whether someone lives in D4 or D24... tacky is tacky whether stuck on a '97 Civic or an '07 Range Rover.

Get over yourself mate, I'm just making a point in a light-hearted fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

milltown wrote:
    If I can't see the driver I can't see if he's paying attention and I'm not going to stop and wait for him to realise somebody is letting him out so the tintees have to wait as far as I'm concerned.

Absolutely. Sit and wait tinted boy ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

my tints, while not being limo black are there for 3 reasons.
    1.stops the inside interier fading due to sun light.
    2.security, people can see in straight away
    3.security again, if you try smash the window, the film hold the glass in place and a smash and grab cant be done as easily

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭38psi

If anyone is interested in a proper Tint job I would recommend Pentagonglass in Park West. They can supply anything from a clear coat right up to the full Limo tint. Also they can fit an anti shatter film.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Tint for the masses i say, i don't want to see your face. Unless your a hottie of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

i have it on my jeep for security reasons, and it looks good..

like i was getting attacked by knackers and after one time my father drove my jeep and they thinking it was me, attacked.. and well, he sorted it out ;) no more trouble since

• Advertisement
Advertisement