Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Male Manicure

• 09-08-2007 1:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭

I have managed to stop biting my nails after being a biter for over 30 years! :D But now I'm not used to having long nails and would like to have them filed and shaped. Or maybe just shown how to do it. Is there anywhere in dublin that does this for men? how much? or is it too effeminate? :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

When I was thirteen or fourteen I stopped biting my nails. So suddenly I had nails. I then had long nails as I'd never had any experience of cutting them. So every so often I would search out a nail scissors in the house and cut them before I had an eye out. Funnily my father is a builder so from the ages of thirteen to eighteen or nineteen I worked part-time for him on site, nails an' all, never even broke one :) But the thing was I got so used to my nails being long (or longish) I just couldn't cut them short, it was like bits of my fingers were missing. So I’ve learned over the years to own a nails scissors, clippers and usually a nail file (I've a very manly man he he he). I'm not trying to look manicured just don't want to take a slice out of myself or the girlfriend (very important not to take a slice out of the girlfriend anywhere tender). I've had manicures a couple of times for the laugh as people think I'll be embarrassed by this, which I won't. I personally didn't care for the experience so I think you'd be better off just doing the tidying up yourself.

Keep in mind. Long nails are terrible for your love life, women will quite often think it's weird or disgusting. People in general conversation will bring it up as if it's something odd, or ask do you play guitar (I do, very very badly but it has no relevance to the nails). I've been asked am I gay because of the nails. Other than they're good for scratching I really don't see too many upsides. Still I'd never cut them short. Hope my little confession helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Deadevil129

Just get yourself a nail clippers and a decent nail file. Clip your nails straight across and the file them (gently) to smooth out and round off the edges. If you make a mess, they'll grow back.

DJ_Spider wrote:
    or is it too effeminate? :eek:

Yes, yes it is.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

DJ_Spider wrote:
    I have managed to stop biting my nails after being a biter for over 30 years!

Why they make a great mid afternoon snack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Mmmmmm-hmmmm!

I just bite my nails, that's how I keep down to normal size. And like AC said, they provide a great mid-afternoon snack when you're facing the 3:00p.m. slump!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Why bother cutting them ? Nails are functional, scratching your ar$e, picking your nose, removing earwax ! The list is endless !

I trim them by biting them.. and I can do a better job with my teeth then I can with a scissors / file!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Thats soooo gay gary lol

My first impression of you was that you played guitar, but then i saw you had long nails on both hands, so i knew that wasnt the case!

I used to grow my right hand nails for guitar, get a rough-ass file and a smooth one, use the rough one to shape, and the smooth one to close the nail fibres. Your nails will get really strong, and the growth process slows down a touch too (apparently)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

how did u stop biting them??? i just cant seem 2 manage it at all???:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 daydreamerlotus

I dont think it is too unusual these days for men to go for a proffesional manicure, sure look at the likes of David Beckham, he regularly has them done. The times have changed, there is no stigma held against men for wanting to look their best anymore!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

red_ice wrote: »
    Thats soooo gay gary lol

My first impression of you was that you played guitar, but then i saw you had long nails on both hands, so i knew that wasnt the case!

Thanks for noticing there Mark :) (Great to have the search back)

Advertisement