Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing doses etc

• 09-08-2007 4:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

Was an idiot and managed to take 100mg instead of 200mg of a certain drug over the past few nights because I ran out of 200mg tablets and though the 25mg tablets were actually 50mg tablets. So now am twitchy, having trouble sleeping, feeling pressured to talk and other such nice things. I’m more pissed off with myself than anything else.

I know diabetics and others have similar issues with not complying with medication leading to all kinds of nastiness.

What struck me was this: If you’re on medication long term and are going through a good patch and taking your drugs every day it’s really easy to forget what it used to be like or how big a role the drugs can play. It becomes so much of a habit that you start forgetting about them to a large extent.

Anyone else get this kind of thing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

totally - however I start to feel sick pretty quickly if I miss my insulin now - I'm sure some of it is psychosomatic. When I was first diagnosed tho, I could miss the odd one now and again and not feel it, and it was very hard to keep testing bloods when I knew the result would always be around 5 anyway. God be with the days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Definitly when I first started on my medication (UC), but not so much now.

What can really get to me is stress... I can go for so long, no stress, and all is grand, then, thinking nothing of it and getting a stressful job, and bam... pains in my stomach & I know I'm in trouble...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yes I have done it (insulin) but always remember the fact pretty quickly and immediatly take it. Its pretty much impossible to live with a high blood suger even for a farily short period so sluggish and fatigued you become.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Yes, you feel so (relatively) well on inhalers that it's easy to forget to take the preventative one for a couple of days and then wonder why you're short of breath and of temper - until you realise that the oxygen's knocking but it can't get in.

of course - the other side of the coin exists! I take two types of insulin, and once I mixed them up. I was on the way home (luckily it wasn't me that was driving) and long story short, I took 36 units of novorapid instead of lantus. That might not mean anything to the OP but i bet the diabetics are wincing :) it was an interesting journey home!

• Advertisement

Yikes! :eek:

Did Lucozade shares jump the following day?

Mike.

I wouldn't waste a good hypo on Lucozade Mike - Cadburys went through the roof tho! :)

Nor would I! Hate the stuff but going gonzo on Snickers and Twix is another matter entirely. :D

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

tbh wrote:
    of course - the other side of the coin exists! I take two types of insulin, and once I mixed them up. I was on the way home (luckily it wasn't me that was driving) and long story short, I took 36 units of novorapid instead of lantus. That might not mean anything to the OP but i bet the diabetics are wincing :) it was an interesting journey home!

Pfft, I'll see your bars of chocolate and raise you stumbling around incoherently on a trip where I'd forgotten my meds until a friend led me to a pharmacist who managed to make out from the mumblings what I needed and give me an emergency dose... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I always find the evening Lantus dose a pain as I am not sure if I have taken it or not, I wish that I had one of those pens that told you when you last took your insulin. tbh - I am still in shock over taking that amount of fast acting insulin, that is more than I normally take in a day (unless I am going on major chocolate binges, which I seem to do a lot of recently!)

I can beat you Nesf, though it was from too much meds, I had a low blood sugar in the middle of my sister in law's weddings and had to have an injection of Glucagon, in the interim I was crying, talking loudly and acting generally strange!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

CathyMoran wrote:
    I wish that I had one of those pens that told you when you last took your insulin. !
    I could definately do with a pen like that for my lantus, especially after I've been out for a few beers as I'm often not sure if I was capable the night before to be taking it or not.

Advertisement