Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mercs - rust!?! What else should I look for?

Options
  • 09-08-2007 7:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

Hi folks
    I've been offered a cheap E-class Merc. Overall the car looks alright but it has rust around the wheel arches and on the bonnet (at the base of the grill). It doesnt look too deep - however I am a bit of a novice in this area so
    I've just spent a few mins researching this issue and I can't believe the amount of people complaining about E-class rust!
    I had my heart set on a cheap merc - any thoughts on the w124 coupe folks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The trick with the W124 is to buy pre-facelift. That grille can be easily replaced, the arches will be a lot more work. A pre-facelift coupé will hold its value well. They're a nice drive, if a bit waggy of tail. You really need six cylinders.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Rusty rear arches is common enough on many older makes and models and especially on UK imports. The W124 is getting on a bit now so it's not a surprise to see some rust.

A lot of the rust complaints about the E class are about the later model W210. There is an article in this month's Car Mechanics showing shocking (and dangerous) front subframe rot on an 8 year old W210. This rust was hidden by the undertray and the car passed its MOT as MOT testers can only test what they can see and are not allowed to disassemble anything.

I don't know if the W124 suffers from rot in this area however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭kyote00

jaysus...thats not rust...

this is rust : http://cortina.blog.com/

(my current restoration project)....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The critical time period is 1993/94 when Mercedes switched to water based paints. Its still perfectly possible to find a rot free late w124 example but they are more prone than the earlier year models. The areas to watch are the front wheel arches - you can buy patten wings for 60-70 euro or find rot free earlier examples.

The w210 was just badly built and screwed together generally! :p

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

BrianD3 wrote:
    A lot of the rust complaints about the E class are about the later model W210
    The only evidence of rust that I am aware of in my W210 is a bit of "bubbling" in the paintwork around the boot keyhole.

(Then again, I do live in the driest town in Ireland. :D)

• Advertisement
Advertisement