Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 red lights on 360

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Right, got a 360 back in the post... it's brand new, manufacturing date of 27/08/2007. It's really really quiet, even when loading games! pretty fooking sweet, well done microsoft, you just made my christmas card list (if i ever have one)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I got mine back sooner than expected, also a new console, manufacturing date 26/08/07. Can only hope it remains problem free, at the moment everything is working properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Will Microsoft replace a console that doesnt have the 3 red lights but keeps on getting disk read errors?
    It has been doing this for the past month now and I have been waiting to get the lights but nothing has happened. My other option is to get an elite and trade in the old 360.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,028 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I bought an XBOX 360 on Friday and this Red Rings Of Death thing has been on my mind non-stop..

.. hasn't happened yet (touch wood) but judging my this thread, it's pretty common.

Worrying alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

BFassassin wrote:
    Will Microsoft replace a console that doesnt have the 3 red lights but keeps on getting disk read errors?
    It has been doing this for the past month now and I have been waiting to get the lights but nothing has happened. My other option is to get an elite and trade in the old 360.

If there is a problem with the console they have to repair it (if less than a year old, the 3 year thing only covers the red rings of death) what kind of disc read errors are you getting? is it saying "to play this disc, please put it in a 360 console?" if it is saying that, it is likely that the red rings aren't far behind, otherwise only try to play game discs that are relatively scratch free cos the drives are temperamental

• Advertisement

Yeah I am getting both sets of read errors. Its just over a year since I bought the original console but I already have had to replace it once before. I might give Microsoft a ring and see what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 moggins

do ypu have to take out the warrenty or is it jus automatically there when you buy it.
    and i have no proof of purchase(it was a present) does it just go by manufacture date???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 JohnG2176

Just got mine back today after two and a half weeks, problem was listed as motherboard, the cooling fan seems to be a lot louder now too...

I just hope the same problem won't occur in another few weeks, has anyone bought one of the supplementary cooling systems off ebay? i'm thinking about getting one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

JohnG2176 wrote:
    Just got mine back today after two and a half weeks, problem was listed as motherboard, the cooling fan seems to be a lot louder now too...

I just hope the same problem won't occur in another few weeks, has anyone bought one of the supplementary cooling systems off ebay? i'm thinking about getting one

They do more harm than good. They put more strain on the power supply which, ironically, leads to overheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

the one i got back was a refurbs one and it is very loud when playing games

the fan seems to be constantly on, is this right

how is your one so quite

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 beegee1234

Sorry maybe a silly question but how do you guys sent away your 360 back to MS? Mine one the optical drive suddenly doesn't work anymore when I tried to change to disc 2 for Blue Dragon. There's no error message or anything as if just there's no disc in the drive for anything that I put in :( the drive doesn't spin.

Do I have to contact MS or will Xtravision do anything about it since it's less than a year old (but over a month)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 JohnG2176

ring the contact number on xbox.com/support/ have the serial number of your system at the ready and you're better off ringing them when you have the machine in front of you, they try to troubleshoot the issue over the phone...

they give you the option of posting out courier stickers to you or emailing them, choose email and ring the courier, sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

I have mine since first day it came out and I get no problems at all with it. Only froze 3/5 times and that was usualy on San Andreas which froze on usual xbox anyway. Seems to be a lot of dodgy ones alright but for every bad one there's 20 ppl that don't bother commenting at least so only the minority have this problem just so you know....

warning, 1/20 may be a load of bollox but it's a random guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 beegee1234

Got the UPS lable email from MS. They told me just put the console in a plain box. I don't have the original box with me anymore just wondering what is the best way to pack the console up? I take that all I need to send is the console on its own without any cables or even the hard drive etc.?

MS probably should have told you what to send. Id say its just the console you need to send. I didnt have to send anything else when I sent mine. They tell you to send it in a plain box because if someone sees a 360 box in the back of the van then they might just take it as there own :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Impressed with Microsoft. Ok the console should not have broken, but I got mine back 12 days after I posted it away. They sent me back a brand new one which was delivered to me yesterday (saturday) much to my surprise. Good on you Microsoft, good to see a company live up to its obligations. And, oh yes, this one is as quiet as a mouse compared to the last one !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Well I fixed my 3ROD, as sending it back to M$ wasn't an option (I bolixed the back of the cas while opening it) followed the guide on xboxscene, was getting freeze ups in games like Forza, I would get a kindof check pattern on it, this is down to the Graphics chip, there is really poor airflow through the heatsink fins and it gets really reallly hot compared to the CPU, anyway it lasted 2 months but gave up the ghost again a couple of weeks back just got around to opening it up this weekend to see if I could get it working again, I tightened down the GPU heatsink a bit more, plugged out the fans and let it overheat until I got the 2 left rings to flash (this means its overheating) left it sit like that for 2 mins to allow the solder to re-flow and turned it off, let it cool down and put it back together, hey presto its working again :)

Snake ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

Hi Guys,

My xbox I think is about to back it in the screen has gone all pastel colours and flickering in and out. My lcd tv is telling me now device not supported.

If I leave the xbox off for a while it comes back with the fuzzy picture.

I have no red lights.

So I'm think the graphic card is knackered?

Anyway I check out my xbox serial number on-line and it tells me it out of warranty by about 5 months.

Am I up the creek with out a paddle? or will Microsoft help me out?

All advice welcome

Brian

Ok on completing this post the screen has just come back good.

Should I still contact Microsoft even though the unit is out of warranty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Makaveli wrote:
    Super, mine now freezes when playing games or trying to watch dvds. No red lights but I'm guessing it's only a matter of time.

If I contact CS will they accept it needs to be repaired even though I'm not getting the red ring of death?

Same thing happened to me when watching DVDs and playing games... Tiger Woods seemed to send it over the edge. Got the 3 red rings a few weeks later. I have to send mine back now as well....

Bummer. That's Halo 3 off the cards for another few weeks..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hey all,

Could someone confirm that you get a 12 month Live sub with the replacement xbox?

When I rang them recenlty they offered me compensation for the delay and I asked them for an xbox live sub, but he said that will be included with the console when it is returned!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

One Month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,821 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Got mine back less than 2 weeks...well they sent me a new one. "to speed up the process". I reckon cas it was my machine was too foooked. Got 1 month free xbox live and 3 months warranty (on a brand new machine).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

This royally takes the biscuit.

Popped in Halo 3, crashed during the cut scene, RROD. Never happened before, and it's not coming back.

Buggeration. Time to call MS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Noooooooooo.
    Halo 3 release day, I go home and the first thing I see is 3 red lights!!! Didn't even get a chance to play a minute of it!!
    To top it all off MS support told me it can take 28 working days to get the repaired xbox back.....has it taken this long for anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

kin9pin wrote:
    Noooooooooo.
    Halo 3 release day, I go home and the first thing I see is 3 red lights!!! Didn't even get a chance to play a minute of it!!
    To top it all off MS support told me it can take 28 working days to get the repaired xbox back.....has it taken this long for anyone?

Multiply that by two mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Gizzle wrote:
    Multiply that by two mate.
    Ah ffs. I can't wait that long.
    I'm going to buy an Elite on the way home and then sell the replacement/repaired model on ebay whenever it comes back. Don't suppose anyone knows the cheapest place to get one?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Mine finally gave up and died whilst playing Halo 3 last night, gave the three red lights for a while but now won't turn on at all so cannot get the game disc out either and I couldn't see a manual release hole for the disc tray.
    kin9pin wrote:
    I'm going to buy an Elite on the way home and then sell the replacement/repaired model on ebay whenever it comes back. Don't suppose anyone knows the cheapest place to get one?
    Think I'm going to do the same and pick up a core on the way home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Pedro Monscooch

kin9pin wrote:

I did the exaact same thing a month ago but I sold the replacement to a friend. More options for co-op now. I bought the elite in HMV. Best deal I could find. 460 for the console with Blue Dragon and The Darkness free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

My second console died 2 weeks ago after owning it for 12 months, exactly the same amount of time the first one lasted for.

This one is an NTSC-J console, and apparently I can have it repaired in Europe even though I got in in Singapore. Lucky for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Mayshine did you tell MS that it's NTSC-J? I have to get my one repaired.

Advertisement