Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptops with powered USB

• 09-08-2007 10:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

just found out today that the laptop im buying (inspiron 6400) doesn't have powered usb so for all i know the things im buying for it wont even work... i knew that an external portable harddrive wouldn't work, but now it wont even work with a y connector

according to dell none of the inspirons have powered usb ports, are there any laptop that have powered ones?

also what works and doesn't work on non powered usb ports???

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I have a 6400 and haven't had any problems with usb devices. I've used mp3 players, cameras, usb powered hard drives, powered usb hard drives, phones. Pretty much everything!

You could always get a powered usb hub but I doubt you'd need one. What were you trying to connect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

well i know for a fact that a western digital passport external harddrive wouldn't work because they need 650 mA to power them and 6400's appear to have 0mA... have you tried dongles for wireless devices? do they work ok?

overall hows the laptop by the way coz im getting it next week and wouldn't want to make a bad choice

Haven't had any problems with it, and have tried usb dongles with no bother. I would be pretty surprised if a hard drive wouldn't work. I use one of thse
    ibm_pocket_hdd.jpg
    Has a double usb connector so you plug into two usb ports to get the required power.

jesus theyre a bit pricey for 40/80 GB aren't they?! i was looking to buy a 250GB passport but i doubt it would work without powered usb

I only used the pic as an example, I got the case off ebay and I had a spare notebook hard drive.

• Advertisement

I see someone moaning on komplett's site about this. It needs a double usb cable like on mine which can be purchased as an optional extra. What a load of monkey spank! If it doesn't have to be that specific one look elsewhere and make sure it has a double cable.

ya that guy was a real moaner alright but still tho if it didn't work he has a right to be pissed off they dont say anything about the double cable in the documents you have to look for it yourself...

anyway so if i buy a 2.5" enclosure and some 2.5" drive (ive heard of issues with drive height with bigger capacity drives) will i be able to power that through the usb on a 6400?

That's what i'm doing right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I've a usb powered harddrive rating is 5v, 1500mA(just checked the rating, eek that seems very high)
    Anyway works fine with the Inspiron 6400

eolhc wrote:
    I've a usb powered harddrive rating is 5v, 1500mA(just checked the rating, eek that seems very high)
    Anyway works fine with the Inspiron 6400
    iiiinteresting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

just to give more info, the drive is a 2.5" with media player function

The rating of 1500mA might be for when the drive is in playing media

The drive came with a dual usb lead, so it can get more power from the usb port

with the inspiron 6400 it works with a standard single usb lead, but with my more light weight 2003 sony vaio it needs to use the dual cable plugged into two usb ports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Steoob wrote:
    have you tried dongles for wireless devices? do they work ok?

I have set up at least Dell laptops with external wireless dongles without problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

i have a 80G 2.5 SATA in a http://elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=MMEV690007&productID=S2697803

running no problem on a 6400 , the enclosure also has the option of adding external power if needed

Advertisement