Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

T-Belt change on VW Golf

Options
  • 09-08-2007 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Hi all,

thought I'd shoot this one out there see if there are any knowledgeables....

Time for Timing Belt change on my Golf GTi, my usual dealer quoting €700ish (dunno why it's an ish, they must do this regularly and hence have an actual price, but you know how car dealers are!)

Will all VW dealers be the same price? I am going to sell the car pretty soon so want to keep it VW Main Dealer serviced etc but just thought I'd ask where the best place to get a T-Belt service would be before I shell out 700 blips!

Cheers!
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I'd go independent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

I had a VW TDI and got the timing belt changed and it costed approx euro450 about two years ago. It was not a VW dealer but a reputable mechanic.

My mechanic also has the computer as well its not just the main dealers that have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

mack1 wrote:
    Hi all,

thought I'd shoot this one out there see if there are any knowledgeables....

Time for Timing Belt change on my Golf GTi, my usual dealer quoting €700ish (dunno why it's an ish, they must do this regularly and hence have an actual price, but you know how car dealers are!)

Will all VW dealers be the same price? I am going to sell the car pretty soon so want to keep it VW Main Dealer serviced etc but just thought I'd ask where the best place to get a T-Belt service would be before I shell out 700 blips!

Cheers!
    M

I'd say you'd be doing well to find a cheaper main dealer tbh

If you're selling the car and have a FVWSH then you might be as well to have it done at the main dealer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

Sorry for not passing on my hijack here , but what's a 'timing belt' , i head this constantly mentioned on 'for sale' adds etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Timing belt - is the belt that connects the crankshaft to the camshaft. The camshaft operates the valves which allow the fuel mixture into the combustion chamber and the exhaust gasses out. The time at which these valves open and close is critical. So the pulley wheels for both the crankshaft and camshaft must be set up correctly - ie both at TDC (or other relevant markers) when fitting the belt. This keeps the camshaft 'in time' with the crankshaft, so the belt that connects them is the timing belt. The camshaft turns one revolution for every two revolutions of the crankshaft. Should the belt snap, or skip, the vlaves will be out of time with the ascending pistons. The force of the pistons will damage the valves (and possibly the pistons & camshaft). Repairing this kind of engine damage is quite expensive, which is why having the timing belt replaced at the correct intervals is important. It's something that any buyer of a second hand car should check - so much so, that a lot of sellers will indicate that it has been replaced.

Item no.14 in the attached illustration is the timing belt (2000 1.4 AHW Golf/Bora)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

and basically if your timing belt goes snap, your engine is gonna be wrecked beyond repair.

gucci wrote:
    and basically if your timing belt goes snap, your engine is gonna be wrecked beyond repair.

Not necessarily. I've had plenty of cars repaired that suffered snapped belts. But, depending on the value of the car, and the extent of the damage, it is possible that repairs could be more than the car is worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Timing belt change on a petrol Golf should only cost around €300ish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

how does one check if the belt is ok or not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

Arseburger - I'd love to know where you can get it done for €300!

But I think I agree with Onkle on this one, just called a couple of dealers, their phone manners aren't the best - but they all say around 650/700 - and I reckon it's worth keeping the book full of main dealer stamps - especially for a t-belt change!

Wook - as far as I know there is no way to "check" the belt, you just have it changed at the manufacturer recommended intervals - usually 60k miles.
    I've had one go at 50k on a 306 a few years ago and had to shell out €1,500 for the repairs (was charged 3k but complained as it broke before the 60k interval so they knocked it down to 1500 - still tho, not be recommended!)

Thanks for all the replies!

• Advertisement

ArseBurger wrote:
    Timing belt change on a petrol Golf should only cost around €300ish.

Maybe on a 1.4 engine. But I think the OPs GTI will be a more complex job than that on a 1.4.

AFAIK, both require that you take the front of the car off. Most of a t-belt change cost is man hours and awkwardness. Once the front is off then it's pretty much a piece of piss. (in as much as changing a belt can be for a mechanic)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

ArseBurger wrote:
    Most of a t-belt change cost is man hours and awkwardness.
    Parts cost is also substantial, IIRC it's 200 quid for a genuine timing belt kit for a Golf, add to that a water pump and it's getting closer to 300.

The belt itself is cheap but it is foolish to change a timing belt without changing the water pump and all tensioners and pulleys etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

crosstownk wrote:
    Not necessarily. I've had plenty of cars repaired that suffered snapped belts. But, depending on the value of the car, and the extent of the damage, it is possible that repairs could be more than the car is worth.
    i stand corrected, unfortunately i have never had a car worth too much :rolleyes: you gotta change it at the manufacturers intervals, but i keep an eye on mine to check for wear or sharding every now and then incase something happens like the guy above with the 306

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

gucci wrote:
    i stand corrected, unfortunately i have never had a car worth too much :rolleyes: you gotta change it at the manufacturers intervals, but i keep an eye on mine to check for wear or sharding every now and then incase something happens like the guy above with the 306

My father had a '96 Fiat Brava And the TB Snapped at 59500 (it was actually booked in for it's TB change) in 2004, he had the car from nearly new and it was never driven hard. An 8 year old Brava was only worth around 2k in 2004 and he spent 2k having it repaired cos he liked the car so much... idiot :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

BrianD3 wrote:
    Parts cost is also substantial, IIRC it's 200 quid for a genuine timing belt kit for a Golf, add to that a water pump and it's getting closer to 300.

The belt itself is cheap but it is foolish to change a timing belt without changing the water pump and all tensioners and pulleys etc.

Timing belt kit, pump, pulleys and belt costs around 80 - 100 euro on the VAG 1.9 TDI engine, the rest is labour and its a pain in the arse

Was quoted 800 by O'Learys Lissarda
    380 in an Indy i trust.

BrianD3 wrote:

The indep. place I use in Kilbarrack threw in my pump for free (make sure you get metal impellers (VAG OEM have plastic ones that disintegrate)) and they get OEM belts relatively cheap.
    Had Golf and then A4 belts changed there with pumps for €300 each time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

ArseBurger wrote: »
    The indep. place I use in Kilbarrack threw in my pump for free (make sure you get metal impellers (VAG OEM have plastic ones that disintegrate)) and they get OEM belts relatively cheap.
    Had Golf and then A4 belts changed there with pumps for €300 each time.

can your let me know what the name of the place is please mate? need to get the belt done on my Golf now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

I ordered this kit from the US http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Detail?no=278 worked out at around €200 for more parts then is included in your timing belt kit from the dealers.
    Fitting was €250 so all in it came to €450.

When replacing the water pump on the 1.8t engine get one with a metal impeller as the plastic ones have been known to crack.

Neil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Neilw wrote: »
    I ordered this kit from the US http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Detail?no=278 worked out at around €200 for more parts then is included in your timing belt kit from the dealers.
    Fitting was €250 so all in it came to €450.

When replacing the water pump on the 1.8t engine get one with a metal impeller as the plastic ones have been known to crack.

Neil.

That would be about right for this car I'd say. You may be looking at double for a main dealer to do it. If I remember correctly I was quoted €1100 by Park Motors for a service a T-belt. got the whole lot done by a Vw Mechanic as a nixer for €500.

• Advertisement
Advertisement