Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of the smell of creso(sp?)

Options
  • 09-08-2007 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Any ideas how to kill the smell of creso, sorry cant get spelling right, just spent 10 mins trying to figure out spelling to look it up on google. The paint used on fencing, a friend of mine made me a garden gate and used it to paint it now the garden and house stink of it its everywhere, because the gate is very close to back door

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Ew, who the hell uses creosote these days apart from the ESB?
    There are loads of preservative products that do the same job with no fumes.

Also:
    In 2003 the European Union banned creosote for amateur and unlicensed professional use, due to concerns over these health effects, noting that recent research had shown that the risk of skin cancer had perhaps been underestimated previously.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creosote#Health_effects

Getting rid of the smell is going to be difficult...AFAIk you just have to wait for it to evaporate, which may take a while and there will always be a residual odour when up close to the surface.
    Onions cut up in the room is supposed to help mask/neutralise oil paint fumes....might work in your case. Not too sure...I've found that it doesn't really do much for paint fumes either..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Take the gate off ..... put it somewhere dry and airy for a year (well, maybe 6 months if your lucky) and then re-hang in it's final position ......

Creosote is certainly one of the best wood preservers around but not really suitable for applications where close contact with you is possible ...... I'm not sure if it's allowed to be sold to the public anymore? ..... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Maybe I'm weird, but I actually quite like the smell :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

Alun wrote:

I used to like it too, nostalgia now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Alun wrote:

The old folks always used to say it was a healthy smell .... :)

but to be honest, I'm not sure it is ..... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement