Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car for parts, How do i do it?

Options
  • 09-08-2007 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

I have a Clio 94 that i think i can still sell it for parts. Any advise on how to do it? are there garages that buy cars for parts?

Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭iblis

As far as I'm aware garages don't buy cars for parts. They source second hand parts from scrappys. The space requirement just wouldn't make sense, unless it was a rare part or something maybe.

Check with your local scrap yards. One of them might be interested in taking it off you.

Another option is to break it yourself and sell the parts on eBay, buy and sell, etc. But then you will be left with a shell you must dispose of. When all the useful parts are gone, a scrappy will likely charge you to accept it even after you move it to them. But I've heard fo people making more money from running cars by breaking them than by selling them whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

iblis wrote:
    But I've heard fo people making more money from running cars by breaking them than by selling them whole.
    It's not a game for the naive newby though.
    Dismantling a car properly so that you produce parts and components that are intact/complete and have some monetary value takes a degree of skill and knowledge, not to mention an investment in tools of some sort.
    Really doing it properly (;)) involves dealing with health & safety issues, as well as a responsible method of disposing of oils/fluids/toxic stuff and the carcass afterwards.

Then there's the whole logistics of actually selling the parts. Some people are cut out for the wheeling and dealing involved and thrive on it, many aren't.

Doing it on the front lawn of a suburban housing estate house won't endear the dismantler to the Resident's Association either. :D

In most cases and for most people, taking the car to a car dismantler and letting them handle the process is by far the best option. It's up to the OP to decide if it's worth the time/effort to take it on themselves.

Rovi wrote:
    It's not a game for the naive newby though.
    Dismantling a car properly so that you produce parts and components that are intact/complete and have some monetary value takes a degree of skill and knowledge, not to mention an investment in tools of some sort.
    Really doing it properly (;)) involves dealing with health & safety issues, as well as a responsible method of disposing of oils/fluids/toxic stuff and the carcass afterwards.

Then there's the whole logistics of actually selling the parts. Some people are cut out for the wheeling and dealing involved and thrive on it, many aren't.

Doing it on the front lawn of a suburban housing estate house won't endear the dismantler to the Resident's Association either. :D

In most cases and for most people, taking the car to a car dismantler and letting them handle the process is by far the best option. It's up to the OP to decide if it's worth the time/effort to take it on themselves.

Can't argue with a word of that lol. Just presenting the options thumbup1.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

will a breakers pay for a car though or just take it off your hands for free? I have a fiesta laying around that needs an engine but I couldn't be bothered getting one coz of the logistics.

dade wrote:
    will a breakers pay for a car though or just take it off your hands for free? I have a fiesta laying around that needs an engine but I couldn't be bothered getting one coz of the logistics.

That would depend on what they would predict the value of the parts they can sell within a reasonable timeframe is, and what they believe the cost of disposing of the remainder in an eco friendly manner (read within legal requirements) is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

grand so i'll call the corpo it's only €30 to get an EOL car removed

Advertisement