Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Electrics in '96 Golf

Options
  • 09-08-2007 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

On Monday, the electrics in my '96 1.4 petrol golf went wonky. The cat lights don't work, the central locking wont work, the buzzer to warn about lights left on doesn't work, the clock is reset every time the car starts. When I start the car, I hear a low buzzing sound for 2-3 seconds, this is new.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Sounds like your car is getting no power when it's switched off.. When the car is switched off it still needs power to keep clocks right and keep radio presets etc.. have you checked your fusebox

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Get your battery and alternator checked. Have you checked the bulbs? are they blown/OK? An overcharging alternator can sometimes blow bulbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

check the fuses are all ok and also that the battery is connected securely maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭BlueSpud

It's a blown fuse. Thanks for that. I did not suspect the fuses as so many of the electrics went dead at the same time, too much for one fuse, or so I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

BlueSpud wrote:
    It's a blown fuse. Thanks for that. I did not suspect the fuses as so many of the electrics went dead at the same time, too much for one fuse, or so I thought.

Yea, we used to drive VW Caddy vans in work and we used to stick screwdrivers into each others cigarette lighter socket and blow that same fuse. Irresponsible and childish I know but it was funny for a while

• Advertisement
Advertisement