Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rust & Enamel

Options
  • 09-08-2007 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

Howdy, I have an old enamel kettle. There is a small spot where the enamel is missing and the iron/steel underneath is rusting. Not a major problem, but eventually it will probably eat through.

I know you can buy enamel paints. I could just paint a couple of coats over it.

Just wondering should I apply something to the rust first to arrest it. I have heard of things called Rust Converters.

Anyone shed some light on these?

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Rust convertors are Tannic acid usually mixed with poly vinyl acetete, or PVA glue.
    Paint them on leave to dry and overcoat.
    In your case I would probably give it a slight rinse with water to remove the pva and dry it then use an enamel touch up pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Thanking you...

Advertisement