Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get excited about Bioshock

Options
  • 09-08-2007 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

I was very interested about this game when I first heard of it. Now not so, sure it's got a unique setting and strange power effects. But I had the impression of lots of different outcomes depending on how you interact with the characters, giving the story more depth. But all the videos I see of it now show a standard fps corridor crawler. Shoot enemy type x and then y or just y and ignore x. Hardy seems like a very involving experience. Thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Its definatly not a standard corridor shooter. After reading the review, i cant be more excited about this. And if its anythign like System Shock 2, then its good enough for me. Just read the bit about the level that is similar to the Cradle level in thief.

What more do you want though? Great graphics that run very well, great brilliant acting, excellently scripted scenes, big daddies, too many different ways of killing people, etc...Its going to be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

grizzly wrote:
    I was very interested about this game when I first heard of it. Now not so, sure it's got a unique setting and strange power effects. But I had the impression of lots of different outcomes depending on how you interact with the characters, giving the story more depth. But all the videos I see of it now show a standard fps corridor crawler. Shoot enemy type x and then y or just y and ignore x. Hardy seems like a very involving experience. Thoughts?

I can read what you wrote, I just can't comprehend it!!!

I struggle to see how someone can't be excited by this game, it looks like game of the year material tbh!!!

I don't think the videos show a standard fps crawler by the way!! Far from it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I predict GOTY, maybe tied with Mass Effect.
    grizzly, have you played System Shock and/or System Shock 2?

koneko wrote:

Oh god i cant wait for Mass Effect...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

koneko wrote:
    grizzly, have you played System Shock and/or System Shock 2?

If never played the System Shocks, are they good? I've got a PS2 and a 360, maybe I could pick up an old copy.

I'm worryingly excited about mass effect, November can't come soon enough!

• Advertisement

grizzly wrote:
    If never played the System Shocks, are they good? I've got a PS2 and a 360, maybe I could pick up an old copy.

I'm worryingly excited about mass effect, November can't come soon enough!

System Shock 1/2 is pc only i'm afraid (not a bad thing imo). Any pc from the last 5 years will play either of them perfectly...plus they are Abandonware now (iirc).

There's your problem, get cracking right now, they're on PC and fairly old now so it doesn't need a good system to run. There is a texture upgrade pack for SS2 ("SHTUP") so it looks a bit prettier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I posted this same post on another forum and got this reply;
    i'm kinda skeptical too... from what i've seen it sort feels like being in between half life and system shock in terms of gameplay which soudns good on paper and the setting seems cool but i'm much more impressed by COD4 options for the multiplayer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Good luck getting System Shock 2 up and running on your XP or higher PC - it's a nightmare.

But having never really played either game, but being a massive fan of Deus Ex, I couldnt be more excited about this game. You really just have to check out some of the videos to know this is not a standard FPS. So far, it certainly is looking like GOTY material.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Good luck getting System Shock 2 up and running on your XP or higher PC - it's a nightmare.

But having never really played either game, but being a massive fan of Deus Ex, I couldnt be more excited about this game. You really just have to check out some of the videos to know this is not a standard FPS. So far, it certainly is looking like GOTY material.

Huh? I got it working in about 15 mins after a bit of googling.

Only hassle is each time you start it you need to switch out of it while at the main menu, locate the process in task Manager, r-click and Set Affinity, and only tick one CPU (assuming you have more than one).

Anyway, back on topic:
    Last game I bought based on hype and reviews was Stalker, and was really disappointed with it. Mainly due to niggly bugs.

But after all I've read, I think I'm going to chance Bioshock.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Yeah one of my house mates was unimpressed with Bioshock video's labelling it a Doom III clone because its dark and you shoot mutated things :confused:

Anyways looks pretty open ended really looking foward to it.

Hey Johnny Ultimate you do know they have confirmed Deux Ex 3 is in the works.....my fingers are crossed for it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Azza wrote:
    Hey Johnny Ultimate you do know they have confirmed Deux Ex 3 is in the works.....my fingers are crossed for it!

There is one in the works but Im pretty sure Spector and the old crew is not involved. Hopefully it will be good, but Ive never played the second one because I dont want to taint my memory of the glorious original. I hear it is quite poor :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Frankly I'm not incredibly excited about it either. The videos I've seen look pretty, yes. But I've seen very little that hasn't really been done before.

Maybe I'm too cynical, but I'm going to assume it's rubbish until I hear other people who have actually played it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Azza wrote:
    they have confirmed Deux Ex 3 is in the works.....my fingers are crossed for it!

I hope they don't mess up 3 like they did with 2. DE2 could have been so much more if they made a seperte PC and console version.

I'm looking foward to Bioshock. I loved System Shock 2 and Bioshock is ment to be similar in some respects so it should be a class title.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Perhaps you're just fatigued from all the ZOMG hubbub surrounding Bioshock. Take heart, just because you don't see a great game in there, doesn't mean the previews/reviews are wrong. It may be that you have to play it to appreciate the rich tapestry of the... of the, uh... tapestry. Then again, maybe it's just not for you! :D

Just avoid coverage of it until closer to the release date (if that's possible).

Man, some of you people have no souls, Bioshock is going to rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I installed and ran.... Easy as pie but then maybe my installer did whatever tweaks are needed to make it run cos I wasn't aware any were needed.

In sayign that the game is a bit too old and clunky for me now but I do hold a soft spot for it.

BTW, in case anyone's wondering, Bioshock did go gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Grizzly wrote:
    Can't get excited about Bioshock

Consider yourself lucky so. Better to get an unexpected gem than be let down by a hyped up pile of nothing.

Me? I've been avoiding as much coverage as I can because I could easily get over-enthused about this (see Koneko :p).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

koneko wrote:
    BTW, in case anyone's wondering, Bioshock did go gold.

If it's gone gold why the wait, why not release it now, games are always being pushed back how about a push forward instead !
    It looks like a good game but i'm not gonna buy at 44.99 or 54.99, I'll wait a couple of years till it's in the bargain bins

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Some Exclusive gameplay of bioshock level on PC,the water looks pretty cool.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/93630.html?playlist=featured

Pity about the voiceover guy though.

MooseJam wrote:
    If it's gone gold why the wait, why not release it now, games are always being pushed back how about a push forward instead !
    It looks like a good game but i'm not gonna buy at 44.99 or 54.99, I'll wait a couple of years till it's in the bargain bins

Em.. mass production takes time, you know.
    I have also been avoiding videos for a few months, after being really impressed with the earlier ones (especially the fifteen minute gameplay demonstration). I don't need anymore spoilers at the moment - the joy of discovery is hopefully going to be amazing.

As for getting 'over-enthused' about things, perhaps myself and others are letting ourselves in for disapointment. But the early impression - and one which I have held since I first saw those videos almost a year ago - is that this game really will be something special. It is really unfortunate that some people will ignore it because it dares to be different and deeper than your average genre shooter.

It is really unfortunate that some people will ignore it because it dares to be different and deeper than your average genre shooter.

Here here.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

koneko wrote:
    Man, some of you people have no souls, Bioshock is going to rock.

I'm with Koneko on this one. I mean a level to rival The Cradle. Come ON people. This s a no-brainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

IF it actually does rival the cradle. I stand by my half-hearted meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

This should do it for you

bigdad3xo8yc6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Given the aforementioned Thief 3, the only thing that concerns me is that console limitations will mean compromised gameplay. Other than that, it should be ownage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I fully expect to collapse with sheer joy the first time I play Bioshock. It really does look sweet, I must pre-order the Collector's Edition soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Ciaran500 wrote:
    This should do it for you

bigdad3xo8yc6.jpg
    That is brilliant!

the only reason I'm not too excited about this game is cos it comes out on birfday so I've got other things to be doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

the only reason I'm not too excited about this game is cos it comes out on birfday so I've got other things to be doing.
    ..... such as?

It's 'crying', right?

......... like a women

.................... alone. :p:D

Advertisement