Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get excited about Bioshock

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

lol, but I really do want this game, they make it hard though, and of course they would notice if I don't buy it, a sale is a sale they all add up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

MooseJam wrote:
    lol, but I really do want this game, they make it hard though, and of course they would notice if I don't buy it, a sale is a sale they all add up

I'll buy two,

There, you're off the hook now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

stuck in work till 9, so my only comfort is the soundtrack cd...which really isnt a comfort cause its nothing like the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

is the widescreen issue being fixed on the 360?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    stuck in work till 9, so my only comfort is the soundtrack cd...which really isnt a comfort cause its nothing like the game.

Bit disappointed that the "soundtrack" is 3 remixed songs and not the originals that are in the game.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

WellyJ wrote:
    I'll buy two,

There, you're off the hook now

I'll go splits with you so as to restore harmony in the universe. We'll send you a postcard from Rapture, Moosejam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Picked up my copy today. 32.99 sterling for the collectors edition with the metal big daddy dealy. Good stuff. Back to the game now :)

TC

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Anyone have any problems with setting the audio to 5.1?
    I set it and it says you need to restart game but when I do it's back to stereo?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Been playing it since i got home, and i bloody love it. Its got amazing atmosphere, great enemies (Big Daddy fights are bloody tough), and some brilliant set pieces. Havent enjoyed a game like this in a long time. Also, i dont know what people were talking about with the widescreen issue. I'm playing it at 1600x1050 at max settings and it looks brilliant. If people hadnt mentioned it, i'd never have known anything was wrong.

My only complaint was when i crashed to the desktop, lost my quicksaves and key bindings, and i had to go back to a point about 1 1/2 hrs earlier, where the last autosave is. But it was probably my computer that was the cause of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Seems pretty decent...if it wasn't a Beta. Install Beta Nvidia drivers to fix crash at start experienced by vast amount of players - Check. Give thanks not afflicted with the Audio stuttering also very common - Check. Want to uninstall it and get money back as the damn thing resets your resolution and all configuration/key changes each time you play - Check....
    I have never played a game with this many critical and blatantly obvious bugs at release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

FWIW, not having a single problem, running 1920x1200, high detail, EAX, smoooooth. I'd post some screenies but they'd spoil things so I'll do some from early in the game at some point during the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

When it runs it plays fine, nice and zippy...until it decides to go belly up for no reason and wipe your config. $49.99 to Beta Test what will eventually be a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Oh... here are the Big Daddys that belong to Blitzkrieg and me... and my Aryll figure acting as a Little Sister.

1224089304_16a992cc5d_b.jpg

*yawn*

Got stuck in work a bit later then planned...when I got home my housemate was using the computer to watch bridget jones diary 2...so had to suffer through that till about midnight. Installed the game and started playing.

Its now 7:45 and I just stopped playing to go to bed...I intend to continue later today.

So my feelings about the game.

The Demo level has nothing on this game. Not even the level that follows shows what the game is...its when you hit the third level where it just opens up and you suddenly cop on to what all the reviewers are raving about, the sheer tactical freedom presented to me in the third level was a joy to behold. And it just got better from then on.

My experiances so far:

-I went evil B*sterd route with the little sisters. I was originally not going to do it and go all good, but f*ck me when i reached the 4th level I knew I had to gut everyone I could find for that precious Adam. I'm now heading back to the 2nd level to gut the two I avoided to conserve ammo.

-I find Big Daddy fights to be pretty awesome, though I think I worked out a system (Armour piercing rounds from the tommy gun coupled with electric slugs from the shotgun can bring it down pretty easily if you are good at dodging)

-The story is very reminiscent of System Shock 2...but done much much much better.
    Though I think I've figured out the ending, at first I assumed Atlas was Fountaine in hiding tricking me into helping him...But when the whole submarine incident occured it clicked...I'm bloody fontaine, and the box of sweets you see when leaving level 4 confirms it I think.
    I like the villian pieces you get in each level, the doctor was particulary brilliant.

-I have no problems with my pc version. I have everything running on high and its smooth as silk. I did have a tiny hiccup with the cd key, but that was due to it being case sensitive (a first for cd keys in my experiance?)

Overall I am pretty sure this game will get my GOTY vote this christmas, cant think of anything else coming up that will top it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

_CreeD_ wrote:
    Seems pretty decent...if it wasn't a Beta. Install Beta Nvidia drivers to fix crash at start experienced by vast amount of players - Check. Give thanks not afflicted with the Audio stuttering also very common - Check. Want to uninstall it and get money back as the damn thing resets your resolution and all configuration/key changes each time you play - Check....
    I have never played a game with this many critical and blatantly obvious bugs at release.

On the other hand it installed and ran without a hitch here. Bloody amazing so far, just got to the end of the Medical Pavillion, great bit of build up as you
    find and kill Dr. Steinman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

On the other hand it installed and ran without a hitch here. Bloody amazing so far, just got to the end of the Medical Pavillion, great bit of build up as you ...

Those bloody pieces of spoiler text get sent to the email notifications as plain text :mad: :p .

I bought it through steam last night. Only took about an hour to download the whole game.
    Haven't had time to play yet.

HOLY F*CK

-There goes my plot theory. I had moved from my above to:
    the character being fontaine's son, and i suspected some pre genetic treatment, due to a quote on the loading screen...but the actual revelation is pretty damn suprising.

Yes despite saying earlier I was going to bed...i got pulled back into rapture...I thought I was close to the end :D...turns out I was very very very off.

there is a
    usual suspects style twist revealing how the little thing you have been looking over for the whole game is actually the most crucial point

hopefully it will continue to improve from here on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

On the other hand it installed and ran without a hitch here. Bloody amazing so far, just got to the end of the Medical Pavillion, great bit of build up as you
    Yeah, it's running beautifully for me as well.
    The sound went a bit weird and distorted last night, but was fine after exiting the game and going back in...
    The only minor complaint I have is that you don't seem to have any advanced display options within the game, and have to bump FSAA etc up from the nVidia control panel (I prefer to control it all from the application)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

They don't install a rootkit on your machine. They install Securom.

This whole rootkit story was some dumb-ass blogger trying to get ad revenue.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Whats the Widescreen issue?

cba reading the 18+ pages of moaning in this thread to find out..

I played the demo at 1680*1050 and it worked fine? Does the fov stay at 90 degress or something when it should be 108 degrees for widescreen?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

conzymaher wrote:
    Whats the Widescreen issue?

cba reading the 18+ pages of moaning in this thread to find out..

I played the demo at 1680*1050 and it worked fine? Does the fov stay at 90 degress or something when it should be 108 degrees for widescreen?

fov stays at something pretty small, maybe 70, they are going to release a patch to let you change it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Pretty much played up to that part myself, one of the most enjoyably disturbing (and at times hilarious) parts of any game i've ever played.
    Absolutely loved
    when you confront him and hes in 'surgery' sees you and says "look an intruder... and HE'S UGLY!!!!" and starts blasting at you. the fight itself i found easy though as he spent his time shooting anti personnel ammo at a gun bot i'd hacked so i just wrenched him in the head a good twenty times!:D

Heard the game is a bit on the easy side so im playing on normal but saving all the lil' sistas. I'll replay it on hard and massacre them all!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Heard the game is a bit on the easy side so im playing on normal but saving all the lil' sistas. I'll replay it on hard and massacre them all!!!!!
    That's what I'm doing! Except I harvested one cos the Big Daddy fight was really hard, stupid Rosie...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

That's what I'm doing! Except I harvested one cos the Big Daddy fight was really hard, stupid Rosie...

Yeah
    those guys are way faster than you'd expect and the manner in which they knock you off balance is a brilliant addition, i'd a real adrenaline rush as it was bricking it after me whilst i unloaded clip after clip of machine gun ammo into it whilst every other attack hitting f to replenish my constantly battered health!

I'm definately going to try to take them in one go as opposed to sapping their health, dying, take some more off, die and repeat. Seems cheap as those bastards deserve a proper fight!

I wonder if they can properly use the drill on you like the first demo as that'd be class.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Yeah
    those guys are way faster than you'd expect and the manner in which they knock you off balance is a brilliant addition, i'd a real adrenaline rush as it was bricking it after me whilst i unloaded clip after clip of machine gun ammo into it whilst every other attack hitting f to replenish my constantly battered health!

I'm definately going to try to take them in one go as opposed to sapping their health, dying, take some more off, die and repeat. Seems cheap as those bastards deserve a proper fight!

I wonder if they can properly use the drill on you like the first demo as that'd be class.
    That's the Bouncer you're on about. Rosie throws the proximity mines and has a Rivet Gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Yeah

lol i havent died once :D on normal.the way i fight them is

first i law afew mines in a heap then get in los and shoot a rpg at him he come running and goes straight into the mines.they knock 3/4 of his health off so then 2 or 3 more rpgs have him down :D

electric slugs and armour piercing machine gun rounds for me.

3 rounds of the electric slugs from the shotgun take of a quarter health and stop him dead...dont fire the fourth (you start reloading which is time consuming)

then switch to the machine gun, load a clip into him which will take of another 2 quarters health. switch back to the shottie to fire the last round to slow him down as you move away to reload both guns, and then repeat with the shotie to kill him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    electric slugs and armour piercing machine gun rounds for me.

3 rounds of the electric slugs from the shotgun take of a quarter health and stop him dead...dont fire the fourth (you start reloading which is time consuming)

then switch to the machine gun, load a clip into him which will take of another 2 quarters health. switch back to the shottie to fire the last round to slow him down as you move away to reload both guns, and then repeat with the shotie to kill him off.
    This is pretty much how I've been handling them. I've also fully upgraded my shotgun and machine gun.

jesus christ...no one try using the electric gel o nthe chemical spewer on them?

If you 1 clip of it you can take down a big daddy with no problems.

And seeing as the clips are made in the U-vent machines, focus your scraps on them.

TRUST ME

Electric gel makes Big Daddy hunting a walk in the park. (though its not as much fun :( )

Just finished my first run through there:
    the ending is very short lived to what the rest of the game is like.

My favourite bit:
    Sander Cohen, his level is the most interesting, but also as a character he is fecking brilliant, especially how he comes back later on when you interupt the dancers.

EDIT: I have to add after figuring out how to get into the area I asked about below
    The underground room in fort frolic is the best bit in the game, had me ****ting bricks and changed the level for the better afterwards.

Overall it is a downright fantastic game, my only complaint is that it started so big and got bigger and bigger and bigger. that the last 2 levels feel a bit anti climatic in comparison (
    after apollo square, the big daddy complex and the mueseum were not as interesting)
    Also on a personal level, I perferred in System Shock 2 that you chose a profession and all the genetics were tuned in that direction, while here you had everything and you picked and mixed...I found too often I was picking up plasmids/tonics I would never use (such as all the wrench ones, I pretty much stuck with the machine gun, cause I found ammo to be for the most part plentiful.

and before anyone asks, yes I went the bad way (though I started to go good towards the end because I had more then enough adam after a while.)

p.s
    does anyone know how to get into that underfground part in fort frolic? it is the only room I couldnt get into according to the map

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I'm downloading the demo now. It should take ~ 2.5 hours. I was wondering, though, is there any point in buying the game (assuming I like the demo) for my system?

AMD 3700+ (yes, that's single core :eek:)
    7600GT
    1 GIG RAM

Old Skool!

Advertisement