Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get excited about Bioshock

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

I'm downloading the demo now. It should take ~ 2.5 hours. I was wondering, though, is there any point in buying the game (assuming I like the demo) for my system?

AMD 3700+ (yes, that's single core :eek:)
    7600GT
    1 GIG RAM

Old Skool!

Probably not,

I have a 7950 GT 512MB DDR3 if you wanna buy it :p (Unopened)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

awhir wrote:
    lol i havent died once :D on normal.the way i fight them is

first i law afew mines in a heap then get in los and shoot a rpg at him he come running and goes straight into the mines.they knock 3/4 of his health off so then 2 or 3 more rpgs have him down :D

Well i've just played until the first encounter (decided only to play the game at night as i think it makes for a better experience) and i didn't die (though i was a couple of medkits away from that happening :eek:) i was just referring to people on the internet complaining about the difficulty being easy on account of the regeneration, the simple solution being if you don't like it don't use it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

WellyJ wrote:
    Probably not,

I have a 7950 GT 512MB DDR3 if you wanna buy it :p (Unopened)

how much? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

look at this
    "Sony (the owner of SecureROM copy protection) is still up to its old tricks. One would think that they would have learned their lesson after the music CD DRM fiasco, which cost them millions. However, they have now started infesting PC gaming with their invasive DRM. Facts have surfaced that show that the recently released PC game BioShock installs a rootkit, which embeds itself into Explorer, as part of its SecureROM copy-protection scheme. Not only that, but just installing the demo infects your system with the rootkit. This begs the question: Since when did demos need copy protection?"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

It is a bit easy, been playing on Hard and saved all the little sisters so far except one where I hit the wrong button (arrgghh!) but its very, very good.
    Near the start I started thinking, "I wish there was more enemies attacking at once", next thing I know I'm surrounded by enemies. A while later I'm thinking, "I wish there were more audio diaries" and low and behold I find more.
    Next thought was "a different sort of environment would be nice" and hey presto, it changes.
    Its like they knew exactly what we'd want and gave it to us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yes... I was a little worried that the whole thing would start to look samey after a while like in Prey.... but Bioshock is actually pretty varied in it's locations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I'm downloading the demo now. It should take ~ 2.5 hours. I was wondering, though, is there any point in buying the game (assuming I like the demo) for my system?

AMD 3700+ (yes, that's single core :eek:)
    7600GT
    1 GIG RAM

Old Skool!
    I'd say that it'll actually run decently enough on that if you're not worried about FSAA and stuff...
    Give the demo a whirl anyway and see how it runs:)

Just finished it now, and managed to save every little sister. tempted to go back and harvest every one of them just to see the ending you get.
    mostly just to see how the final boss fight ends without them on your side...

also;
    which level was supposed to be on a par with the cradle from thief 3? unless I missed out on something, I can't really think of anything all that creepy, apart from that room where the lights cut out completely... I nearly had an "accident" then:P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

which level was supposed to be on a par with the cradle from thief 3? unless I missed out on something, I can't really think of anything all that creepy, apart from that room where the lights cut out completely... I nearly had an "accident" then:P

Did you explore all of fort frolic?
    Its a bit weird you have to look for it (I overlooked it the first time) but there is a room you activate, and when you do it does become an insanely scary level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

Just finished it there... saved every little sister

Am curious to the ending when you are evil.

/EDIT Thought I'd make this WARNING bigger :)

****WARNING******WARNING*****WARNING**************
    If you don't wanna know what happens in the good ending... don't read:
    I became a Big Daddy near the end, I'm curious does the same happen when you kill all the little sisters? I also save all the girls and they grow up and live normal lives, kinda ruins the whole moral argument that these girls are pure evil, so it's ok to hit them with wrenches :confused:

Ending was a little quick alright, I kinda ran through it though, there was just so many things to do, that I ended up ignoring half of them :)

As for Big Daddy fights, my favourite way of killing them was:
    Hacked security camera, a few proximity mines, some freeze attack to stop them charging and finish them off with an incendiary bolt

Bits that I enjoyed:
    The twist in the middle... "would you kindly"... brilliant
    Cohen was pure crazy. That whole level is great, I couldn't work out how to get under the stairs either
    The telekinesis was done very well, much better than the grav gun in Half Life, you could actually pluck things out of the air with it... that was a lot harder to do in Half Life

Anybody get a look at the full note from the present at the start, they show a flash of it at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Really loving it so far. I'm at the start of the third level fighting a big daddy that throws mines at you. Pretty hard.

• Advertisement

Spoiler:
    Cohen was pure crazy. That whole level is great, I couldn't work out how to get under the stairs either

ts surprisingly simple, in the bar near it (the burnt out one) there's a switch behind the bar press it and voila the two underground parts open up. you get another tonic and a gun upgrade for your troubles...But a warning...doing this will make the level much much harder.

and on the ending:
    the game is the same if you killed the little sisters, you still become a big daddy etc, only the cinematic is afffected by your choices which is a big disapointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

....so one of the core selling points of the game doesn't exist (multiple endings)?

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    and on the ending:
    the game is the same if you killed the little sisters, you still become a big daddy etc, only the cinematic is afffected by your choices which is a big disapointment.
    Surely the little sister that leads you at the end would have to be a normal little sister instead of a saved little sister? even that small change is enough to convince me to play through it again...
    ah who am I kidding, as if i need an excuse to start playing it again!:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just about to
    fight super-ADAM Fontaine. Gotta love that twist
    Whats this about a secret in
    the Cohen level?
    . Must go back and check it out, but I found the whole thing a little creepy as it stands.
    the exploding piano :eek:
    Best way of tackling Big Daddies so far would be the
    stun / steel arrow combo. Those things take away like a sixth of the energy at once

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I thought Atlas' accent was a bit odd alright :p I also began to get very annoyed at the repeated use of "Would you kindly"
    To tired, so I stopped after that bit. Can't wait to get back into it tomorrow!

on the Cohen level;
    so that's seriously the super scary part of the game??? a few statues camping it up and then attacking you?
    can't believe I actually bothered switching my light off for that!:p
    The first one was mildly surprising, but then you just knew to expect it. to be honest, I found the first time that I shot one of the statues on my first run through to be far scarier... that sudden sinking feeling when you realise that they're flesh and bone underneath that facade... freaky stuff!
    I found the lights switching off completely later on in the game to be far more unsettling

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I also began to get very annoyed at the repeated use of "Would you kindly"

Heh I didn't actually really think it was that annoying, but after it turned out that
    they were the magical mystery words I was actually really surprised - a decent twist for a change
    Quote of the game though:
    Would you kindly put the card in the GODDAMN machine!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Playing this game in the dark is a MUST!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

By the way if anyone is bored with the intro stuff just rename the 2KG_logo_720P.bik file in the content/binkmovies folder to anything else. I actually went into the default.ini file in the builds/release folder and changed IntroMoviePC="..\BinkMovies\2KG_logo_720P.bik" to IntroMoviePC="" but that seemed to reset my game settings. Once I set them back to what I had them at it was ok. Either way you go straight to the menu. Thats PC version obviously.

tman wrote:
    on the Cohen level;
    so that's seriously the super scary part of the game??? a few statues camping it up and then attacking you?
    can't believe I actually bothered switching my light off for that!:p
    The first one was mildly surprising, but then you just knew to expect it. to be honest, I found the first time that I shot one of the statues on my first run through to be far scarier... that sudden sinking feeling when you realise that they're flesh and bone underneath that facade... freaky stuff!
    I found the lights switching off completely later on in the game to be far more unsettling

The first one was only unsettling...but the ones in the waterlogged basement made me sh*t myself, because your going across the water and you glance back and there's none of them, get to the tonic and grab it to turn around to see 4 of them at the other end of the room...course it clicked straight off that they were gonna jump me, so i jumped up on the container and shocked the water, then i walked away, I accidently bumped one of the fitting manequins (the ones with no arms or legs) and a statue splicer leaped out from behind it *and I shat myself* because these ones are silent unlike the previous ones, and as I walked back up into the level I suddenly discover these statues are now *EVERYWHERE* seriously walked back to the frozen tunnel and there was one posing by the doorway...I had to stop and think *was that there before?* This kept happening throughout the level after that point (seeing the statues in random places etc)

oh btw
    Anyone try setting fire to Sander Cohen's masterpiece? Even if you have killed him before doing so, he comes back to life to kill you for destroying his work of art...i.e BUG. but a pretty funny one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Funny really I never even noticed
    that statues were coming to life. i didn't shoot any of them mind you.
    I got a big daddy to help me
    kill Cohen. Made it easy
    My tactic in general with the BGs is to rage most enemies near him so by the end of a level they have been weakened.

Just finished it there now.

I saved every sister too.
    The last two levels really aren't all that brilliant... the second last is not the best designed level ever.. too many small rooms with lots of doors that lead back on themselves... it was just very frustrating to play through. And the Proving Grounds level might have been an interesting departure earlier on in the game, but as the last level it felt very unexciting.

One graphical thing that I found irritating was when you melt ice that's on the roof and the water disobeys the laws of gravity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Regarding Fort Frolic:
    I didn't kill Cohen when he appeared after I completed his 'masterpiece', was there any advantage to doing so there? He gave me another weapon gift afterwards and let me go and I have heard there's a door in his apartment on a later level that you can't open if you've killed him.

Also re. statues
    the waterlogged basement definitely gave me a good old fashioned creep out, turning around after picking up the tonic to see one of those feckers at the entrance, then realising there's four of them in there.
    I believe that level was designed by the guy who did Shalebridge Cradle in Thief 3, this guy needs to do more levels :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Picked up my copy on Saturday (traded in PES6 and Splinter Cell). Went home, played it for about 20 mins and then put back in R6: Vegas. not because I wasn't enjoying it, just the opposite, I feared that I'd play through it all and forget how to play R6. Gonna finish that first and then BS will be a delightful aperitif.

Regarding Fort Frolic:
    I didn't kill Cohen when he appeared after I completed his 'masterpiece', was there any advantage to doing so there? He gave me another weapon gift afterwards and let me go and I have heard there's a door in his apartment on a later level that you can't open if you've killed him.
    I fought him and you do get a decent bit of loot from fighting him. I remember thinking it wasn't really worth it in the end though. Not sure about a locked door in any case

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Regarding Fort Frolic:

Their is an achievement if you
    take a photo of him after killing him
    and then another as you say if you
    don't kill him he will supposedly open the door to his room in the later level, I killed him though so not sure whats in it. Doesnt seem to be any other way in.

What are the telephones supposed to do?

They light up with an action button, but nothing seems to happen when you press on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Granted I am only at the farmers market part but the game is pretty much hype tbh.

Story is what it has going for it. If it wasn't for that I would of given up on it.

The fighting is insanely easy. If anyone is bothered
    Don't use any heal packs. Just when you die you respawn at the local spawn point and continue fighting. I normally herd all the big daddies to the one spot then use the daddy hypnotise to get them to fight each other while I shoot them+respawn.

Full with ammo/boosters/etc with very little fear of running out.

I only use the health packs if the respawn point is a bit of a way back.

Oh yea and use the camera. Once I fully researched the Houdini splicers I could stealth. making it easier again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Finally played through the whole demo and it hasn't swayed me towards buying the game.

I hate games where you're just sort of thrown into an area and left to randomly wander. Like the bit where you're in a restaurant and after killing the enemies there your just left to carefully wander along the wall looking for the inevitable entrance to the next room. Through a conveniently placed hole in the wall of the men's bathroom of course...

I know this isn't a problem unique to Bioshock, I disliked Half Life 2 for the same reason. I just don't get the appeal of always working your way aimlessly from set piece to set piece. Games like Rainbow Six and Call of Duty appeal to me so much more because you have a sense of purpose and an objective - you know why you're going where you're going.

Bioshock does have great atmosphere, especially when it comes to sound, and it looks like the story could be interesting but not interesting enough to sit through the game for. I can see why people would consider it to be a very good FPS, but the hype about it reinventing the genre and going way beyond other FPS games seems way overblown, it's just standard FPS with pretty graphics and some fancy new weapons (not unlike Resistance)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

corblimey wrote:
    Picked up my copy on Saturday (traded in PES6 and Splinter Cell). Went home, played it for about 20 mins and then put back in R6: Vegas. not because I wasn't enjoying it, just the opposite, I feared that I'd play through it all and forget how to play R6. Gonna finish that first and then BS will be a delightful aperitif.

But R6 LV is such a bad, bad nasty game.

Advertisement