Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get excited about Bioshock

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm not all that impressed with the game, tbh. Maybe I was looking forward to it too much. The game itself is fun and looks fantastic, but it's just not grabbing me the same as System shock 1 & 2 did, which was what I was hoping for. Now, I'm not too pushed that I can only install it 2 time, since I don't think I could be bothered playing it again after this. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Well I have to have to disagree with anyone that had negative comments, finished it, game delivered for me, what I was expecting and I loved it. Have a few other games to finish up that I've been neglecting and then I'm replaying it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

on killing Cohen:
    There are three different ways to approach this: First you can outright kill him when he opens up the glass case with the plasmid in it, this gives you the key to the second glass case which has a few more items in it.
    Second you cna let him live till your at apollo hieghts, in one of the apartments you will find 2 splicers dancing, this is Cohen's apartment and he warns you not to interupt them or *else* problem is, the record player is sitting on a a box of shotgun slugs, and when you take em, it falls over. The two splicers go nuts at you and then Cohen himself shows up to take you out. Kill him here and you pick up a key that unlocks the upstairs of his apartment which is full of good stuff.
    finally you can set fire to his masterpiece and he will try and kill you then. But you can only set fire to his masterpiece *when its complete*
    course you cna complete the game with him still alive

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

What this about taking photos? I am only on the first level (I have nto had a chance to play it properly since I got it). Are you able to take photos from the get go or so you need to acquire the camera? And what it this about researching splicers? I have the 360 version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Moojuice wrote:
    What this about taking photos? I am only on the first level (I have nto had a chance to play it properly since I got it). Are you able to take photos from the get go or so you need to acquire the camera? And what it this about researching splicers? I have the 360 version.

You'll eventually find a camera which you use to take pics of the various creatures in order to research them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

Sometimes the best games are just cleverer and more imaginative versions of "shoot X, ignore Y, move to Z", though. When you try to make things more realistic or complicated, it often comes off as being boring and gimmicky.

I think Shenmue pulled it off pretty well, others would disagree. It's not for everyone, but it's still a masterpiece for what it is.

Not sure about bioshock, it's a very different type of game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Rozie wrote:
    I think Shenmue pulled it off pretty well, others would disagree. It's not for everyone, but it's still a masterpiece for what it is.

2nded shemue was a masterpice and my fav game off all time if only they made 3 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

about 2 hours into the game and playing it on easy. decided to make life easy for myself instead of getting stuck on some awkward part with no health.

anyway, finding it a little too easy. There is health and ammo lying around EVERYWHERE.

I like an easy FPS but would bumping up the skill make it more enjoyable?

playing on the 360 btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

quarryman wrote:
    about 2 hours into the game and playing it on easy. decided to make life easy for myself instead of getting stuck on some awkward part with no health.

anyway, finding it a little too easy. There is health and ammo lying around EVERYWHERE.

I like an easy FPS but would bumping up the skill make it more enjoyable?

playing on the 360 btw.

Play it on normal? Seems like an easy solution....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

WellyJ wrote:
    Play it on normal? Seems like an easy solution....
    That solution is too easy... he wants a challenge... try playing while hopping on one leg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

steviec wrote:
    Finally played through the whole demo and it hasn't swayed me towards buying the game.

I hate games where you're just sort of thrown into an area and left to randomly wander. Like the bit where you're in a restaurant and after killing the enemies there your just left to carefully wander along the wall looking for the inevitable entrance to the next room. Through a conveniently placed hole in the wall of the men's bathroom of course...

I know this isn't a problem unique to Bioshock, I disliked Half Life 2 for the same reason. I just don't get the appeal of always working your way aimlessly from set piece to set piece. Games like Rainbow Six and Call of Duty appeal to me so much more because you have a sense of purpose and an objective - you know why you're going where you're going.

Bioshock does have great atmosphere, especially when it comes to sound, and it looks like the story could be interesting but not interesting enough to sit through the game for. I can see why people would consider it to be a very good FPS, but the hype about it reinventing the genre and going way beyond other FPS games seems way overblown, it's just standard FPS with pretty graphics and some fancy new weapons (not unlike Resistance)

The game itself has a compass option to tell you where your goal is. The demo doesn't show much of the story at all. Resistance isn't even in the same league as it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

But R6 LV is such a bad, bad nasty game.
    Aye, I seriously don't see what all the fuss was about that game... not once did I find myself actually having FUN.
    Just throw it in the trash where it belongs and get back to playing Bioshock

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Finished it this afternoon and loved it. Every year or two there is a game that truly has me amazed - Half Life 2, Resi 4 and now this. Just a terrific experience from start to finish.

On the ending:
    Very odd indeed. A bit of a strange departure in tone, and felt a little rushed / anti-climatic. I suppose it did the job, but I thought the use of a cinematic kind of pulled me out of the world a little. I liked the idea behind the ending, but perhaps could have been a bit more fleshed out. Oh, I saved all those Little Sisters by the way.

Highlights:
    Of course, the Cohen level was the best of the lot. But lot's of other great moments. The twist was truly excellent and unexpected (although it was pretty obvious Atlas wasn't all he seemed, still great). There were some interesting departures from the usual gameplay: thought the time when your plasmids started acting all random was excellent. Also, I think the best part of the gameplay was taking on each fight differently. I was a massive hacker, so sometimes it was fascinating just setting everything up and letting the splicers run on in :). Other times, I'd just experiment with all the plasmids / weapons. But the old reliable stun with lighting 3 and hit with superpowered ice wrench were my main weapons of choice. Also loved the way the plasmid puzzles were thrown in throughout e.g. melting ice, telekensis for removing arrows.

Criticisms:
    Yes, it was too easy on normal, but that wasnt too much of a big deal for me. Just meant you were never sucked out of the experience for long pieces of time. I always had plentiful supplies of ammo / eve / health, but I did still feel like I was fighting to survive the whole time. More variety in enemies would have been nice, and the ending was abrupt, as mentioned above. But all minor criticisms, none actually took away from the experience which was all that matters really

A lingering thought
    wasn't there meant to be a houdini plasmid, according to one of the old trailers? Might have missed it...

Big Daddies:
    rocket launcher and bow. Ahhh yeah

take as many photos as you can of houdini splicers to get houdini plasmid...sadly its only a form of invisibility rather then teleportation...which makes sense because the houdini's dont really teleport, you can see traces of them as they move around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

BEST.
    GAME.
    EVER.

A gaming masterpiece.

Major spoiler... johnny_ultimate
    absolutely agree, and I loved the set-up for the twist, it's great when you walk into that room with the audio recordings and pictures set up and the writing on the board. That whole scene/section was just fantastic.

Fort frolic
    was brilliant. There is one part when Waltz of the Flowers from the Nutcracker starts to play and Cohen sends looads of splicers in to attack you. I just had to turn up the volume, it was fantastic, like a ballet of violence, it was insane, but such an incredible memorable bit

I agree with the comments I've heard about the game, it's one of those games I'd love to play again for the first time, makes you jealous of people that haven't played it yet because they're in for a treat.

The game is much better than the demo, and it's nothing at all like Resistance (which is about as "average" as FPS's come IMO).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I'm just entering Apollo Square and have got past
    the Would You Kindly bit etc and the twist there.
    Are there any other major plot reveals etc to come or can I look at Bioshock threads fully now without worrying about spoiling myself before I finish the game off this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I won't start listing everything I love about this game because if I do, I'll forget something. Suffice to say I haven't felt this way about a game in a very long time. I got it Friday morning, went straight home and played till about midnight, stopping only to eat, once, at half 7. I then started again on saturday evening and played till early morning when I finished it. Score for having an understanding girlfriend!!

This is the best game I've ever played and I've been at it since Centipede on the 2600. I can't remember the last time I finished a game and restarted it straight away. I have games that haven't even been taken out of the box, but there's no way Bioshock is being taken out of the 360!!! There was never one second when it disappointed me and there were at least 10 times when I just said wow to myself.

I had said it to a friend just after playing the demo; Bioshock is the reason I play games!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

But R6 LV is such a bad, bad nasty game.

BLASPHEMY!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    take as many photos as you can of houdini splicers to get houdini plasmid...sadly its only a form of invisibility rather then teleportation...which makes sense because the houdini's dont really teleport, you can see traces of them as they move around you.
    Yeah I managed to get that plasmid (I assume it's the 'stand still go inivisible' one you are talking about). Just remembered an old video in which there was clearly a teleport plasmid - where you could use it just before a big battle scene, and teleport back to it should things have gotten to hairy. Would have been great to set it up under a camera / security turret, and then teleported back, and wait for the splicers to chase after :D
    I'm just entering Apollo Square and have got past
    the Would You Kindly bit etc and the twist there
    . Are there any other major plot reveals etc to come or can I look at Bioshock threads fully now without worrying about spoiling myself before I finish the game off this evening?
    Well you have seen the main twist of the game in that case. Reading through threads you may find one or two gameplay spoilers, but nothing that will truly ruin your experience. Beware of the Ultra Spoiler in the Big Daddy thread over on the Xbox forum though! I'd recommend waiting until you finish though to read every little detail - you are in the last third of the game so should't take more than three, four hours to finish.

• Advertisement

Owww, I want the Bioshock faceplate :(
    Anyone happen to order the 360 version from Play.com and want to sell the faceplate seperately or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

This one isn't drawing me in. :/ It is an ok game. I'm actually playing Uplink more! Now there is a different sort of game. :-O

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Really surprised that some people dont like this game. I think its pretty much perfect. Is it harsh on machines ? Mine is just new and runs it perfectly on high settings...just wondering am I doing well or does it generally play well on lower machines too ?

Top of the software charts for both UK and Ireland:

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    Very selective wording there :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

BlitzKrieg wrote:

LOL, that's one way of promoting a game. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

still no crack out... how much longer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

MooseJam wrote:
    still no crack out... how much longer
    How about you just buy the ****ing game!
    Its easy enough to play the game without the cd inserted if thats what you're worried about, but you still need to buy it to get past the authentication.

• Advertisement

He's not going to, he's making a stand, he's a hero!

Advertisement