Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get excited about Bioshock

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Ah yes... winner = he

I'm sure the victory will be ever so sweet when he eventually gets to play it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'll probably crack it once there is a decent crack available, but i already bought it, so its just to not have to have the disk in at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

MooseJam wrote:
    still no crack out... how much longer

you'll probably be waiting a while yet. HL2 wasn't easily cracked for at least a good few months and that had less safeguards than this.

While i'm here if anyones selling their copy second hand, shout me a holla (clutching at straws) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm still waiting for a shagging Pixel Shader 2.0 patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Kiith wrote:
    I'll probably crack it once there is a decent crack available, but i already bought it, so its just to not have to have the disk in at all times.

There already is a no dvd crack for those who have activated already and want to play without the disc

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Since this can be activated on 5 pcs cant 5 people chip in to buy a single copy? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

koneko wrote:
    He's not going to, he's making a stand, he's a hero!

thats right I'm making a stand, come the day when you have to have a company representative present looking over your shoulder to play the game I can say it wasn't down to me, when the drm nazi's tried to get in the door I said no and stood firm, it shall be on your shoulders !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

MooseJam wrote:
    still no crack out... how much longer

I'm pretty sure you were on a few days back complaining about all the protection found on certain games. Did you not state that they shouldn't bother as people are generally honest? Pfft :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure you were on a few days back complaining about all the protection found on certain games. Did you not state that they shouldn't bother as people are generally honest? Pfft :rolleyes:

people are generally honest, that includes me, I don't make a habit of downloading games in fact I'm pretty sure I've never downloaded one, I limit my software piracy to microsoft products which I'm fairly sure won't be held against me come judgement day, but 2k games are totally taking the piss with all the drm in the game, it's not on I tells you, buying this game supports draconian drm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

MooseJam wrote:
    people are generally honest, that includes me, I don't make a habit of downloading games in fact I'm pretty sure I've never downloaded one, I limit my software piracy to microsoft products which I'm fairly sure won't be held against me come judgement day, but 2k games are totally taking the piss with all the drm in the game, it's not on I tells you, buying this game supports draconian drm

Buy it on the 360 then? :confused:

@ koneko
    The faceplate from play is the crappy one, not the deadly one they got in the states.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Yeah I know, but it's better than nothing, and that American one is selling for crazy monies. Crazy! Anyone that would pay $150 for a faceplate needs a bucket of water thrown over them.

Moosejam, by not buying it you're making a stand, you're not making a stand by illegally downloading it, you're just doing that because you don't want to miss out. Illegal downloading is the reason these DRM protections exist, if anything you're adding to the reason these protections you hate exist.
    You know what I mean? If you don't want to support a company you don't buy their product, so they don't get money, but I don't buy that "I'm making a stand by downloading it illegally" thing, people are doing that because they don't want to miss out.

So, I finally got it working. Played it for about an hour and a half there. Bloody hell its boring. Seriously, I'm so suprised. The intro was cool, if a bit sudden. Then suddenly this Irish jerk appears from no where and I'm doing what he tells me for no apparent reason and there's dozens of identical enemies swarming all over the place. I find a syringe and obviously I just inject myself with this weird glowing liquid for no apparent reason. Plasmids are coming hard and fast, with no attempt to dress it up as anything other than cheap gimic. Its all just a little bland and lame. When I get beaten to death by a swarm of thugs I magically respawn at these nice/ridiculously convenient glowing-tubes.

Oh, and the plasmids are sooo dull. What am I, a D&D wizard? Electric shock, fire blast...

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Zillah wrote:
    So, I finally got it working. Played it for about an hour and a half there. Bloody hell its boring. Seriously, I'm so suprised. The intro was cool, if a bit sudden. Then suddenly this Irish jerk appears from no where and I'm doing what he tells me for no apparent reason and there's dozens of identical enemies swarming all over the place. I find a syringe and obviously I just inject myself with this weird glowing liquid for no apparent reason. Plasmids are coming hard and fast, with no attempt to dress it up as anything other than cheap gimic. Its all just a little bland and lame. When I get beaten to death by a swarm of thugs I magically respawn at these nice/ridiculously convenient glowing-tubes.

Oh, and the plasmids are sooo dull. What am I, a D&D wizard? Electric shock, fire blast...

Would you kindly continue playing...

For you Max, I'll give another couple of hours. For you.

koneko wrote:
    Moosejam, by not buying it you're making a stand, you're not making a stand by illegally downloading it, you're just doing that because you don't want to miss out. Illegal downloading is the reason these DRM protections exist, if anything you're adding to the reason these protections you hate exist.
    You know what I mean? If you don't want to support a company you don't buy their product, so they don't get money, but I don't buy that "I'm making a stand by downloading it illegally" thing, people are doing that because they don't want to miss out.

you're right of course, I'll pick up a copy second hand, that way I can stick it to the man and play the game :)

Or wait until they release in the patch that removes SecuROM and buy it then :)
    Or get it on 360. Or just get it anyway ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Aye, just get it.
    The anti piracy measures in this game have been blown out of proportion completely. The average gamer can just buy the game, install it and play it without any hassle whatsoever.
    (and you could always mount a mini image if you really want to play without the dvd in the drive...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Just finished it, it really did manage to deliver everything from the hype coming up to its release and a good bit more. A genuine masterpiece!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

tman wrote:
    Aye, just get it.
    The anti piracy measures in this game have been blown out of proportion completely. The average gamer can just buy the game, install it and play it without any hassle whatsoever.
    (and you could always mount a mini image if you really want to play without the dvd in the drive...)

Exactly my view on the matter.
    There isn't enough rolling eye smilies in the world to go into it in detail, but if you can install and play a game, who the hell cares about the copy protection :confused: There are plenty of people on this thread who have played the PC version without a problem, and with the 360 you can just pop the damn thing in and play it. The need for an internet connection is a genuine complaint I admit, but otherwise I think this you can only install it 2, 3, 5 whatever times stuff is ridiculous.
    It's like the widescreen thing - having played through the whole game on a widescreen telly I can tell you - it makes absolutey no difference whatsoever. If you want to see more, look up.

It boggles the mind what works people up these days. Just go out, buy a copy (it's cheap enough if you shop around), and support this game - it's the best in quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Exactly my view on the matter.
    There isn't enough rolling eye smilies in the world to go into it in detail, but if you can install and play a game, who the hell cares about the copy protection :confused: There are plenty of people on this thread who have played the PC version without a problem, and with the 360 you can just pop the damn thing in and play it. The need for an internet connection is a genuine complaint I admit, but otherwise I think this you can only install it 2, 3, 5 whatever times stuff is ridiculous.
    It's like the widescreen thing - having played through the whole game on a widescreen telly I can tell you - it makes absolutey no difference whatsoever. If you want to see more, look up.

It boggles the mind what works people up these days. Just go out, buy a copy (it's cheap enough if you shop around), and support this game - it's the best in quite a while.

I think you're wasting your time there. He has been nitpicking at the game for the entire lifespan of this thread. Perhaps just searching for an excuse to find the old crack?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Zillah wrote:

You can play it another way. Don't do what the Irish guy tells you to do, don't walk towards the syringe and you won't inject yourself. You could pretend that quick save doesn't exist to further complain about the magic respawning.

Or you could pretend you are the character you are playing. Revolutionary I know. You could assume that by walking up to a syringe you have made a decision to inject it. You could follow the Irish guys requests because standing around in one place for 3 hours and then closing the game would be as boring as doing it in any FPS. Why do you do anything in a game?

This isn't the first "This is boring/bland" type complaint so I'll asume that folks just differ. I loved the game but I do think it was a bit over-hyped in fairness. This might be the reason some people are not liking it. Perhaps because they wouldn't normally play this game without the hype. All the great ideas I see in this game bar one or two were all done before in System Shock 2. It's amazing what they carried over from it. They added some variation and some top notch story elements but in essence it's a better looking SS2. The ammo types, the security timers, the respawning machines (even better in SS2 because you had to activate them so you could just ignore them), the varied environments that you get to through a lift, diaries telling some of the story, mysterious guide communicating with you, twist towards the end and so on.

Regardless of how much ye liked it or disliked it please give the "Why am I doing A, B or C?" questions. You could ask that question about any game. Why am I walking down this corrider with a double-barreled shotgun for no reason?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

musician wrote:
    You can play it another way. Don't do what the Irish guy tells you to do, don't walk towards the syringe and you won't inject yourself. You could pretend that quick save doesn't exist to further complain about the magic respawning.

Or you could pretend you are the character you are playing. Revolutionary I know. You could assume that by walking up to a syringe you have made a decision to inject it. You could follow the Irish guys requests because standing around in one place for 3 hours and then closing the game would be as boring as doing it in any FPS. Why do you do anything in a game?

This isn't the first "This is boring/bland" type complaint so I'll asume that folks just differ. I loved the game but I do think it was a bit over-hyped in fairness. This might be the reason some people are not liking it. Perhaps because they wouldn't normally play this game without the hype. All the great ideas I see in this game bar one or two were all done before in System Shock 2. It's amazing what they carried over from it. They added some variation and some top notch story elements but in essence it's a better looking SS2. The ammo types, the security timers, the respawning machines (even better in SS2 because you had to activate them so you could just ignore them), the varied environments that you get to through a lift, diaries telling some of the story, mysterious guide communicating with you, twist towards the end and so on.

Regardless of how much ye liked it or disliked it please give the "Why am I doing A, B or C?" questions. You could ask that question about any game. Why am I walking down this corrider with a double-barreled shotgun for no reason?

Would you kindly note that it is pretty clear why anyone plays the game in any particular fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Zillah wrote:

you never played system shock/2 did you by any chance? if so, did you enjoy that? it had a more sci-fi feel to it and also had your D&D wizardry going on.

do you critique every game you play by asking "why am i walking here, doing this?"... why on earth am i jumping on these turtles dressed as a fat plumber :rolleyes:

do you critique every game you play by asking "why am i walking here, doing this?"... why on earth am i jumping on these turtles dressed as a fat plumber :rolleyes:

Games that claim to have stories, yes. I like a little characterisation going on. And yes, I always ask "Why am I doing this?", a lot of games give a pretty good answers.

Half Life: Because I started all of this and have to fix it.
    Homeworld: To keep our people alive and find our old home.
    Tomb Raider: I really want to steal all of this ancient stuff.

So far in Bioshock I've seen "Because a complete stranger told me to".
    musician wrote:
    Or you could pretend you are the character you are playing. Revolutionary I know. You could assume that by walking up to a syringe you have made a decision to inject it.

Of course I could. But thats not nearly as much fun as if they had actually written something cool into the story. Like in Jedi Knight 2 the way in which you got your Jedi powers, that was much more interesting than suddenly jabbing yourself with a syringe that you found lying around.
    You could follow the Irish guys requests because standing around in one place for 3 hours and then closing the game would be as boring as doing it in any FPS.

Uh, I'm not asking why the player should do such a thing, I'm wondering why the character would...see the difference there? This one is inside the computer, this one is inside your head...

Its about suspension of disbelief. Encouraging it makes a more enjoyable game, discouraging it does the opposite. Having a character who behaves as if he only exists to be the avatar of a gamer is an example of the latter.
    Why do you do anything in a game?

Two reasons: 1, its fun, and 2, in-character motivations.
    1 becomes much less fun without 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Your issues actually are dealt with within the plot of the game believe it or not.

It's really hard to answer certain complaints without spoiling things.

Just keep playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Yup Zillah play on, everything will fall into place.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I can't remember if Atlas actually says something about the syringe. If he didn't they probably should have put something in like "you're going to need that to survive..." etc.
    Yes yes I get the Would you kindly reference. Just not going to mention it or refer to it for the benefit of those playing the game

Zillah, keep playing on through it and when you're questions are answered, have a look back through these recent posts. It may amuse you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

This a great game,loving it. Always loved FPSs and also fantasy type games so being able to shoot people but also use plasmids to set them on fire or whatever is great. Love it. Didn't hear much about the game tbh, just picked it up after buying a 360 last week.

Major Spoilers Below!!

Just past the part where you
    kill Ryan and find out Atlas is not Atlas but Fontaine and he was controlling you. Zillah needs to play on a bit! :p Looking forward to the rest of it now.

Advertisement