Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get excited about Bioshock

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

This guy is pretty much right on the money with how I feel about this game :D

warning Bioshock fanboys might be offended

Zero Punctuation: BioShock Review

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Can't say i'm offended at all, most of what he says i'd agree with. As a review though its terrible due to its completely one sided nature but i guess considering the amount of praise the game has gotten he's trying to level it out, not to mention the desire to be humouresly cynical which it obviously is!

A lot of what he says is imo disputable at worst though, cynical and pedantic just for the sake of it (which in fairness he admits to doing as "ppl don't like when he's nice). If you're fooled by hype its no fault of the game's which should always be judged by its own merits, expectations shouldn't have so much bearing (i know its natural but in a perfect world:P) As long as you lot enjoy your cynisicm though its all good, i'd rather just enjoy it for what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

L31mr0d wrote:
    This guy is pretty much right on the money with how I feel about this game :D

QFT

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I take back what I said about this game. I was pretty disappointed with the PC demo and it didn't compel me to get the full game, but eventually played it today on 360 and it is simply brilliant.

I basically only played through the demo area again and a little bit more, so I don't know whether it's the effect of playing it on a massive tv, or if the controller suits it better than a Keyboard & Mouse, or if the darkened living room environment made the difference over sitting up at a desk, or maybe I just entered the demo first time round with overinflated expectations.

Whatever it was, I've completely changed my mind about the game and now it is a must buy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the edge and others were right to say they were very disappointed that harvesting the little sisters just turned into a green splodge moment and that they were all the same, it would have been much better if they had all looked different, they would have seemed more like real girls.

its not as good as the hype, but the hype was how it looked and the story and I think they lived up to the hype, it just wasn't hard enough or varied enough.

I thought the plasmid gun combination was great, unusual.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the wheel of time game tried similar, years ago.. you picked up magic relics that gave you powers and the controls were much the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

I concur. Had some truely spectacular fights when i messed about and mixed some of the plasmids together. The beauty of the gameplay is whilst it does nothing in particular that previous FPSs have done, it allows you to do pretty much anything that other FPS have done. You can play it however you like. Maybe the imagination of some gamers has been somewhat ruined by all the rehashes of the same formula.

How anyone can rate farcry ahead of Bioshock is beyond me. Personally i thought everything about farcry bar the graphics was pretty standard- like a really pretty girl who's incredibly boring or something. Each to their own i guess.

On another note i'm replaying system shock 2 and i'm really loving playing it again, i hope if Irrational make another shock that they make it a bit more deep in the RPG sense. Adam was great and all but it was no cyber modules:P

Completely agree with the far cry comment. I think far cry was only notable for its graphics and the open environments. And tbh wed already seen open environments years before in levels like the silent cartographer in halo 1. The actual gameplay of far cry was boring as hell and once the trigens came into it it went downhill bigtime.
    Bioshock is a flawed masterpiece, but its still a masterpiece. It was never going to have massive explorable environs, its set in a city underwater!! The attention to detail, the story, the freedom to fight how you want, are what makes it great. Having said that tho, i think a little game called halo something or other that came out last week may just have pipped it at the post for my GOTY.
    the edge and others were right to say they were very disappointed that harvesting the little sisters just turned into a green splodge moment and that they were all the same, it would have been much better if they had all looked different, they would have seemed more like real girls.

Sadly irrational would NEVER have gotten this game past the censors if the little sister harvesting had been more graphic, or if they looked more like real girls. An FPS where you kill small children?? The tabloids would have a ****ing field day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I think Im almost finished
    Ive killed Ryan and am looking around the apartment blocks for the antidote

It really is a fantastic game, I have loved every minute so far. I don't get peoples obsession with putting so called 'Linear' games down. Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Half Life, God of War etc are some of the best games ever made and they are completely linear. I tend to prefer linear games as it usually means there is a much better storyline.

With 'open ended' games you usually get a load of filler or rubbishy maps and meaningless tasks or quests.

My only problems with the game : Towards the end it tended to rely on the 'collect 3 of these' to progress tasks. Happens in lots of games to add longevity unfortunately. Also, the character models are a little too cartoony which takes away from the otherwise serious tone of the game. I think it would be scarier if they looked a little less cartoony.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I never finished Bioshock :(

Orange Box stole the limelight... then UT3 then COD4....

And i dont really have any desire to go back and finish it, Am i broken?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

conzymaher wrote: »
    I never finished Bioshock :(

Orange Box stole the limelight... then UT3 then COD4....

And i dont really have any desire to go back and finish it, Am i broken?

Nope. It's not as good as any of those games.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

while i was playing bioshock, I fully intended to go straight back to the first level and try it all again. but after the ending I lost so much faith in the game I just uninstalled it. I think the dvd is on my floor somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭eggplantman

it had a great story but the ending was so bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

playing it the last two days I find the plot engrossing particularly the diarys are gripping but I hate the enemy A.I just spotting you from a mile away and running aimlessly at you drives me mad.

feckin creepy splicers

Advertisement