Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get excited about Bioshock

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

Quite possibly. I'm playing it now and loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Considering your nick, it'll probably be your type of game :)

What's your PC spec like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Considering the 360's upcoming titles, if you couldnt afford a PC powerful enough for bioshock, the times never been better to get a 360. Next week bioshock, next month halo 3, then Assassins Creed, the darkness a month ago, its overflowing with quality titles right now.

It is definitely a great time to get a 360. Let's not forget Mass Effect (360 exclusive) in November too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

I've been following the progress of this for a while - and after stumbling across this thread, seeing the videos and reading the reviews - I'm determined to go out and buy an X Box now!

I do have to admit though; it doesn't look quite as stat-heavy as it's spiritual predecessors - I haven't seen any screenshots of "Inventory Tetris"...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Or Ace Combat 6 (online dogfights!!) in December, as well as Alan Wake (next year), Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon, Lost Odessey...the list goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

koneko wrote:
    It is definitely a great time to get a 360. Let's not forget Mass Effect (360 exclusive) in November too.

forgot all about mass effect, ill be picking that up too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

It may not be an exclusive but there is also CoD4 which looks amazing.
    Regarding Bioshock, some of the reviews are saying it is definitely a console seller, I think it will do a lot more to convince the undecided to buy a 360 than Halo 3 will.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

mcgovern wrote:
    It may not be an exclusive but there is also CoD4 which looks amazing.
    Regarding Bioshock, some of the reviews are saying it is definitely a console seller, I think it will do a lot more to convince the undecided to buy a 360 than Halo 3 will.

I doubt it. I'd say Bioshock will be more popular than System Shock 1 and 2 that remained in a niche but the ignorant masses will lap up Halo 3 a lot more and proclaim it to be the best thing ever despite the fact it's just looking like more of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I doubt it. I'd say Bioshock will be more popular than System Shock 1 and 2 that remained in a niche but the ignorant masses will lap up Halo 3 a lot more and proclaim it to be the best thing ever despite the fact it's just looking like more of the same.

Halo 3 will definetely sell more copies than Bioshock (1mil pre-orders in the US already for Halo 3) but those are the sort of people who already own a 360 or who decided years ago to buy one when Halo 3 came out. Bioshock will convince the non-Halo fanbois (older-young adults) though and thats a big lucrative market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

kensutz wrote:
    Started playing the full game last night and it's awesome. Totally enjoyable and good story line so far.
    Are you playing it on a PAL machine? Would you mind confirming what version you got, and where?

I'm guessing it's the NTSC J version, from play-asia? Or did you get a broken street date NTSC U/K version?

I need a PAL machine compatible, English language version.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Fnz wrote:
    Are you playing it on a PAL machine? Would you mind confirming what version you got, and where?

I'm guessing it's the NTSC J version, from play-asia? Or did you get a broken street date NTSC U/K version?

I need a PAL machine compatible, English language version.

Cheers.

They are all region free with English language

WellyJ wrote:
    Are you certain? The only official word on it seems to be:
    The main version that supports EFIGS (english, french, italian, german, spanish) will be a worldwide release, so that version will run on machines worldwide.

http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php

Available for pre-purchase on Steam, apparantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I've got a 26 inch widescreen - E6600 at 3 ghz - 8800 Gts - 4 gigs ram, I hope thats enough

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I dont know - might need to upgrade. Reckon youll need to set everything to lowest quality, should get 2 or 3 fps. Playable. Ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Did Irish retailers get their stock yet? Any word on broken street dates here?

MooseJam wrote:
    I've got a 26 inch widescreen - E6600 at 3 ghz - 8800 Gts - 4 gigs ram, I hope thats enough

Not a great card,

But should run decent

Sand wrote:
    I dont know - might need to upgrade. Reckon youll need to set everything to lowest quality, should get 2 or 3 fps. Playable. Ish.

[Woman] Do i detect a note of sarcasm?
    [Frink] Are you kidding me? This baby is right off the charts, mm-hai..
    [CBG] Ohh a sarcasm detector...well thats a real useful invention
    [Sarcasm Detector] Boom!

Seriously though, its supposed to be optimised really well, so even non-top of the line systems will play it very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Hope to god my laptop can run this, only thing i'm wary of is the processor- its an intel CPU t2500 @ 2 GHz. THe min requirements say 2.4GHz single core, does the fact that its a dual core make up it? (apologies for tech ignorance!)
    When the demo comes out i'll pick it up to make sure, otherwise i gotta pick up a 360...

• Advertisement

Hope to god my laptop can run this, only thing i'm wary of is the processor- its an intel CPU t2500 @ 2 GHz. THe min requirements say 2.4GHz single core, does the fact that its a dual core make up it? (apologies for tech ignorance!)
    When the demo comes out i'll pick it up to make sure, otherwise i gotta pick up a 360...

Yes it does absolutely make up for it.

That CPU will be fine for it,

What the specs are referring to are P4 2.4GHZ and the equivalent AMD

kensutz wrote:
    I'm playing it now and loving it
    WellyJ wrote:
    Sorry, regarding my questions above, just to clarify... I'm asking about the Xbox 360 version's region restriction.

WellyJ wrote:
    Yes it does absolutely make up for it.

That CPU will be fine for it,

What the specs are referring to are P4 2.4GHZ and the equivalent AMD

Halleluiah! Thanks for the good news!

This game is gonna rock balls (except for those who don't like system shock who'll hate it for no real reason other than being unable to comprehend why we love it so much!)

Fnz- the PC version has to be activated online after launch day so it could only be the 360 version.

I'd be more worried about what graphics card you have in the laptop. The graphics card is as important, if not more important these days. And laptop gpu's are quite a bit below standard desktop ones.

And i didnt realise that the pc version had to be verified...i give it an hour before its hacked :rolleyes: (and yes, i will be buying it)

its a geforce GO 7900 GS so it should run fine (mid settings for recent games usually) as far as i know.

Did HL2 get hacked considering all the protection it steam provides it with? I guess all hackers like a challenge.

Is the price for the collector's edition out yet? Might preorder it tomorrow, i'd rather not go to game though as they're usually a bit more expensive for new releases.

Fnz- the PC version has to be activated online after launch day so it could only be the 360 version.
    Ahh, of course.

Any official confirmation that the NTSC J version is the version that supports EFIGS (english, french, italian, german, spanish)?

I'd say so, the only place in europe to get its own one is Germany due to censorship laws (where they have major child harvesting problems...) afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

Bioshock is on Steam!

$55. Is it worth pre-purchasing? How will that fair against the euro price?

It's also got a counter ticking down... could I be any more excited!?
    no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

$55 is 41 euro, won't get any better price in the bricks n mortar shops

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

PC demo tomorrow :)

"The news comes after PC fans were disappointed in the release of an Xbox 360-only demo. Publisher 2K Games then assured the community that a PC demo would be released shortly--it will be available at FileShack tomorrow, August 17."

http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?story=48490

Advertisement