Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get excited about Bioshock

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Delusional Sony fanboy site isn't happy:

http://www.sonydefenseforce.com/?p=83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

L31mr0d wrote:
    It is irritatingly short. Maybe 15 minutes of gameplay

And it's also a demo, go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Jip wrote:
    And it's also a demo, go figure.

how many 15 minute demos have you played? I personally have never played any that short.

Don't get me wrong, i'm sure the main game will be kickass. I mean they have a nice video preview of all the different plasmids you will be able to use at the end of the demo. But as a demo, it didn't enthrall me. If it wasn't for all the glowing reviews i'd of given it a miss, but they've got me intrigued enough to play it through and see the game as a whole.

One point I might make is that from all the video clips i've seen the environment never seems to change much, it seems to be made up of a load of dark corridors with poor lighting. Something that I think might take from the game as it was the different locations and environments of HL2 and Farcry that made me love them as games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

L31mr0d wrote:
    how many 15 minute demos have you played? I personally have never played any that short.

Don't get me wrong, i'm sure the main game will be kickass. I mean they have a nice video preview of all the different plasmids you will be able to use at the end of the demo. But as a demo, it didn't enthrall me. If it wasn't for all the glowing reviews i'd of given it a miss, but they've got me intrigued enough to play it through and see the game as a whole.

One point I might make is that from all the video clips i've seen the environment never seems to change much, it seems to be made up of a load of dark corridors with poor lighting. Something that I think might take from the game as it was the different locations and environments of HL2 and Farcry that made me love them as games.

Personally I would have preferred Farcry to stick to the beach environment from the start of the game, and not fade into boring indoor crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

koneko wrote:
    Delusional Sony fanboy site isn't happy:

http://www.sonydefenseforce.com/?p=83

Breaking. My. Hole. Laughing.

How could anyone take such biased tripe seriously?!

"Leave this one in the oven...wait for the superior PS3 version"

A rofl well deserved.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I'm happy to order games cheap online and wait until they arrive if I am not salivating at the mouth to play it so...I have bought it on steam. Can take time off work and play it early on friday.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Gizzle wrote:
    "Leave this one in the oven...wait for the superior PS3 version"

...and wait ...and wait ....and wait.....
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

obviously sony defence force is a pisstake website...i hope.

One would hope. For mankind's sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

wll its news stories include *Sony buying rockstar*

so i am pretty sure its either run by retards ro comedic geniuses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

lol - the second comment on the Sony Defense Force review page:
    Solid Pimp wrote:
    Great review. I’ve only played the demo but agree it’s not so great. I’m buying the game when it’s finally released to reassure myself it’s not as good as everyone says it is.

WTPF? :D

The fact it has genuine news mixed with stuff thats seems to be complete horse**** is worrying.

Suggests that these guys actually take themselves seriously :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

L31mr0d wrote:
    One of the lads in work here brought in his Xbox 360 with the demo loaded on it so we could all have a go on our break. Have to say, the majority of us wheren't impressed. It is irritatingly short. Maybe 15 minutes of gameplay, and it really feels like they are leading you through the game, rather than you making decisions.

The graphics are excellent, but being a PC gamer they where nothing special, a few fancy water effects but that's about it.

I mean you start off on a plane that crashes into the ocean, you travel down to this underwater city, then just start killing things... I mean wth? you are some Joe Bloggs then 5 minutes later you are blowing the heads off old men with crow bars. You pass by a vile of glowing blue liquid and instead of looking at it, inspecting it or ignoring it, he just picks it up and injects himself? You pick up this radio and some Irish bloke starts giving you instructions, which you are compelled to obey? Why? Who is he, how does he know you and why am I listening to a complete stranger 10 minutes after surviving a plane crash into the ocean?

bah, i'll probably get this game just to see what all the fuss was about, but the demo did really leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I liked the length of the demo as i didn't want it to give too much away, yet after i played it i wanted to play more and replay it. Unfortunately i played it at a mate's house as i don't have a 360 so i couldn't really appreciate the suspense (playing it at work with a room full of people wouldn't help that either especially if they're being pedantic towards the protagonists' motives. I'd say you're following the Irishman's advice as he's the only one who's not trying to chop your face off and you start killing people to stop them killing you, no? Mindlessly injecting yourself with plasmids is a bit daft but all those advertisements must have some effect!

i thought the graphics were absolutely fantastic even by pc standards- (it'll look better on a top pc too i'd reckon.) I say this mainly in the detail in the surroundings and the superb art direction. I found myself being whacked by a splicer as i was too busy reading all the cool ads on the wall and taking the scenery in. Its the thought thats gone into creating this world as opposed to it simply being incredibly high resolution.

Add to this the incredible depth to the combat- so many ways to play the game, those complaining about it feeling like a generic shooter should look at how they're playing the game as blasting away is only one of the ways at playing it.

Can't wait to play the full game. Needless to say i pre-ordered collector's edition after playing it. Might not download the pc demo so i can enjoy the full thing a bit more. That SDF site is pretty strange, not too sure what to make of it, however i thing they're serious from reading this

"The original Defense Force! Created on September 11, 2006 the Sony Defense Force (SDF) is back with a new look and a new site. It’s original intention was, and still is, to give honest news about all things Playstation. Since the launch of PS3 there has been a lot of F.U.D. (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) spread around the internet thanks to viral marketing campaigns from competitors. SDF is here to cut through the mess and give straight answers about the Playstation Platform."

I'd say they just run any pro-sony rumours or whatever. I really can't make sense of any fanboys for any platform, crazy crazy people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

those complaining about it feeling like a generic shooter should look at how they're playing the game

I generalise and assume they live without hope, compassion or any trace of humanity tbh. Treating a game like this as some sort of platformer and trying to run a time record or high score...I cant even begin to comprehend.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

You know I started a perfectly good thread about the buzz for this game but wouldn't you know it we are discussing this in a thread entitled "Can't get excited about Bioshock". Why oh why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

musician wrote:
    You know I started a perfectly good thread about the buzz for this game but wouldn't you know it we are discussing this in a thread entitled "Can't get excited about Bioshock". Why oh why?
    Was your thread title as provocative?

I could post a 'pity reply' on your thread... if you want. :p:D

musician wrote:

Controversy Creates Cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

musician wrote:
    I'm happy to order games cheap online and wait until they arrive if I am not salivating at the mouth to play it so...I have bought it on steam. Can take time off work and play it early on friday.

Unfortunately it doesn't get released until 9 p.m. on Friday evening our time. I'd preload it myself otherwise, but I want to be playing this sucker at 6.45 when i get in from work :)

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

musician wrote:

Its because you were never very good at Quake, probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Unfortunately it doesn't get released until 9 p.m. on Friday evening our time. I'd preload it myself otherwise, but I want to be playing this sucker at 6.45 when i get in from work :)
    Aye, I was just considering buying it over steam until I spotted the countdown time... Will stick with buying it in Game at roughly 3:30 on Friday, methinks:)

• Advertisement

Maximilian wrote:
    Its because you were never very good at Quake, probably.

Oh come on I was able to spam grens in Quake as well as anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

I was interested in aspects of bioshock but the more I see of it the more I realise I won't actually enjoy the game.

I've played the demo, I love the graphics style, I like FPSs and SoTC was unbelieveable btw whoever criticized it earlier in this thread, not sure what that has to do with Bioshock (maybe the hype who knows) but beating little girls (even nasty ones) to death with a wrench aint my cuppa cocoa.

Can someone explain why they go to all the artsy effort and then ruin it by having you beat up women and children? Why couldn't they make it all monsters/robots/hovercopter thingies/big Daddys?

I was tempted after playing parts of the demo to get this game but then I left the game on the startscreen and it loaded up the images of you pulling a little girl (she didnt even look demonic like the ones you usually see) out of a pipe where she was hiding. You tear her out and she tries to hide and protect herself with her hands and you see the wrench on screen tapping into the other palm of the player.

That was when I turned off my 360 and said "I don't think so" to myself.

I was interested in aspects of bioshock but the more I see of it the more I realise I won't actually enjoy the game.

I've played the demo, I love the graphics style, I like FPSs and SoTC was unbelieveable btw whoever criticized it earlier in this thread, not sure what that has to do with Bioshock (maybe the hype who knows) but beating little girls (even nasty ones) to death with a wrench aint my cuppa cocoa.

Can someone explain why they go to all the artsy effort and then ruin it by having you beat up women and children? Why couldn't they make it all monsters/robots/hovercopter thingies/big Daddys?

I was tempted after playing parts of the demo to get this game but then I left the game on the startscreen and it loaded up the images of you pulling a little girl (she didnt even look demonic like the ones you usually see) out of a pipe where she was hiding. You tear her out and she tries to hide and protect herself with her hands and you see the wrench on screen tapping into the other palm of the player.

Eh,

The best ending is achieved when you save all the little sisters.

So just do that instead.

Also, they are not really little girls. They are ****ing terrifying tbh.

Read about the game online, you do not attack little girls with wrenches, you can't attack them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

You dont actually attack the 'little sisters', youre not allowed, you use tools to extract the adam. You can choose to kill her to get all the adam, or save her and only take half.

Also you can find system shock 2 on the underdogs website, VERY fast torrent, fun game if a bit old and easy to get going.

http://www.the-underdogs.info/

:rolleyes:

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

Killing the girls is entirely your own decision, you don't have to do it to succeed in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

just wondering what type of pc specs they have for playing this game?

Im in two minds really. Was planning on getting an 360 but I might hold off a little longer and see if theres another price cut before christmas. My pc meets the min specs and nearly meets the rec ones.

go to yougamers.com its a great website to see how your pc fares for playing the latest games. Has anyone heard how good/bad the games visuals/performance is with min details? When oblivion came out people who played with min details the game looked awful...just wondering what bioshock will look like?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

musician wrote:
    Oh come on I was able to spam grens in Quake as well as anyone.

BFG, cos it took skill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

joe123 wrote:
    just wondering what type of pc specs they have for playing this game?

Im in two minds really. Was planning on getting an 360 but I might hold off a little longer and see if theres another price cut before christmas. My pc meets the min specs and nearly meets the rec ones.

go to yougamers.com its a great website to see how your pc fares for playing the latest games. Has anyone heard how good/bad the games visuals/performance is with min details? When oblivion came out people who played with min details the game looked awful...just wondering what bioshock will look like?

It's meant to be optimised to play well on a lot of different specs, a bit like HL2.
    We'll have to wait and see I suppose.

Advertisement