Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get excited about Bioshock

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/23661.html

SPOILER IN THIS CLIP if you dont want to see what happens to the little sisters when you save them dont click,i must say thought the animation and character design is absolutely stunning in this game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

when are gamespot gonna review this

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

It's going up tomorrow, according to the reviewer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Gamecentral review is up on Wendesday. If they give it a ten (which the hints suggest they just might), then it is officially the best reviewed game of the last four or five years. I hear it is the game to finally pass Ocriana of time on game rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

PC Demo is out today 7pm EST... whatever that means :confused::)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

means +7 hours later for us...(I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

+5. Midnight our time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

still too bloody late for us (Moriarty's right +5, I added in the extra hours one gains from being stuck in a aer lingus plane)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

The PC demo was on Fileplanet (only subscribers, I think), but I believe it is now available from other places *cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I was interested in aspects of bioshock but the more I see of it the more I realise I won't actually enjoy the game... moral dilemmas... so on and so forth... for the love of god won't somebody think of the children...

Great moniker you got there because thats exactly what I did after reading your comment ;) I love how people will justify killing other humans (you said yourself you like FPS's) but they then take a moral high ground with something like a character in a game shapped like a young girl. How many people do you think would take the same moral high ground to you playing violent games at all. Your argument is a moot point anyway, as all they are simply doing is giving you the choice. Something we are going to see more and more of in games. But as this game is showing your choices have consequences, if you kill the girls to get their adam then the ending of the game will be different.

Personally i'm retracting any opinion I have of this game until I try the demo at home on the PC to get the full effect of the environment and sound effects. I'd also like a little more time to listen to the peoples conversations and inspect the details in the rooms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

If anyone hasn't posted it yet.
    http://www.sonydefenseforce.com/?p=83#comments

Sony fansite review of BioShock. The comments are hilarious.

Actually the whole site appears to be satire. They have Sony to release wiimote for PS3 which looks exactly like the wiimote.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,436 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

One of the developers was saying that Bioshock is optimized for dual core and especially quad core processors..think he said one of the cores would be used for physics.
    Remember seeing a few reviews around and thought nothing about it. It was only when I started reading more in depth that I saw a lot in common with Dues Ex and liked what I read.
    Hopefully it turns out like Deus Ex:TC and not the bastard offspring Deus Ex:Invisible Wars. God that game sucked for a sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

This game is absolutely amazing. It's so good that my missus sat down and watched me play it for about 3 hours. :eek: The atmosphere is brilliant and the 30's era music really adds to it.

Spotting a Big Daddy and Little Sister for the first time scared the **** outta me, and then
    hearing the Big Daddy wailing and stomping around when close by
    will freak you out ever time. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54,362 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

im getting the pc version

so do i have to register this game first before i play
    if so
    i dont have a modem in my computer so am i in trouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

im getting the pc version

so do i have to register this game first before i play
    if so
    i dont have a modem in my computer so am i in trouble?

As far as I know it requires a one time connection yes,

Once its done that it doesnt need it again. Can you bring your PC to a friend's house?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,362 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

WellyJ wrote:
    As far as I know it requires a one time connection yes,

Once its done that it doesnt need it again. Can you bring your PC to a friend's house?
    dam

ya ill get it sorted some how

cheers WellyJ

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

kyub wrote:
    This game is absolutely amazing. It's so good that my missus sat down and watched me play it for about 3 hours. :eek: The atmosphere is brilliant and the 30's era music really adds to it.

Spotting a Big Daddy and Little Sister for the first time scared the **** outta me, and then
    hearing the Big Daddy wailing and stomping around when close by
    will freak you out ever time. :D

how are you playing it?

L31mr0d wrote:
    how are you playing it?

360 With modded firmware probably

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Pc demo is out on the usual dodgy sites, fileplanet was meant to get it exclusively for paying customers but someone found a way around it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 wyntyr

The PC demo appears to have been leaked on some sites (that I probably cant mention here), I should have it in just over an hour!! cant freakin wait!! :D

Edit: Beaten!

Double Edit: WOW!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

L31mr0d wrote:
    how are you playing it?

My cousins sent me a copy. The NTSC version is Region Free and that's all I shall say on the matter. ;)

kyub wrote:
    My cousins sent me a copy. The NTSC version is Region Free and that's all I shall say on the matter. ;)

Cringe....

I hate this whole "cousins" crap that pervades boards :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I was interested in aspects of bioshock but the more I see of it the more I realise I won't actually enjoy the game.

I've played the demo, I love the graphics style, I like FPSs and SoTC was unbelieveable btw whoever criticized it earlier in this thread, not sure what that has to do with Bioshock (maybe the hype who knows) but beating little girls (even nasty ones) to death with a wrench aint my cuppa cocoa.

Can someone explain why they go to all the artsy effort and then ruin it by having you beat up women and children? Why couldn't they make it all monsters/robots/hovercopter thingies/big Daddys?

I was tempted after playing parts of the demo to get this game but then I left the game on the startscreen and it loaded up the images of you pulling a little girl (she didnt even look demonic like the ones you usually see) out of a pipe where she was hiding. You tear her out and she tries to hide and protect herself with her hands and you see the wrench on screen tapping into the other palm of the player.

That was when I turned off my 360 and said "I don't think so" to myself.

Good god, your understanding of the mechanics of this game are so way off the mark that it would be laughable if it wasn't so tragic that this faulty understanding was going to prevent you from playing the greatest game this decade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 wyntyr

Finished the demo twice now, its kinda short ~20mins, but it is mindblowing! I have never been amazed so many times in such a short space of time! Runs perfect on high on my comp too! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

New drivers from nVidia for Bioshock

Windows Vista x32 : http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_163.44.html

Windows Vista x64 : http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_163.44.html

Windows XP x32 : http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_163.44.html

Windows XP x64 : http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp64_163.44.html

Release highlights:

# Beta driver release.
    # This driver supports single GPU and NVIDIA SLI™ technology on DirectX 9, DirectX 10, and OpenGL for GeForce 6, 7, and 8 series GPUs.
    # Improved compatibility for Bioshock.
    # Numerous game and application compatibility fixes. Please read the release notes for more information on product support, feature limitations, driver fixes and known compatibility issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Got the leaked PC demo, pretty amazing. Plays perfectly smoothly on an Athlon 3800+ dual core, 2 gigs of RAM and a Radeon x1900 at 1440 x 900. Graphics are superb, and the sound is great too. Roll on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Can anyone explain the comparisons towards Deus ex? From reviews ive read I havent seen the comparisons....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Anyone who is playing a pirate version of this angers me. This game needs to sell. If it doesn't, I shall lose faith in the gaming community.
    You better buy it when it comes out on Friday, ye scurvy pirates ye! *shakes fist*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

joe123 wrote:
    Can anyone explain the comparisons towards Deus ex? From reviews ive read I havent seen the comparisons....

Well there are some basic similarities between the shock games and Deus Ex, the ability to tackle a problem in a variety of ways is core to it but if you have played any of the prior System Shock games you get the idea of what Bioshock is like. I think though I have not looked into too many reviews for fear of spoilers that choice is more of a factor in this game as the older shock games had a very linear storyline so that is something else you can draw comparisons with Deus Ex.

Advertisement