Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get excited about Bioshock

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

As long as you don't go trying to kill some little girl who is with her large father or anything i'd say you'll be fine... make sure not to bring a wrench out with you either just to be safe!

Hmm, maybe i should wait till Sunday to start playing.

This really seems to be shaping up to the game of the year, if not best game ever. These reviews are really hyping it up for me. I want it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Ok just finished playing the demo at home, using my keyboard and mouse on my sig rig (albeit currently with only 2GB of RAM) hooked up to my 42" Plasma set at 1080p (1920x1080) with also 5.1 THX speakers, in complete darkness with the curtains pulled, and I have to admit, its a great game, and i'm sure this demo is only scratching the surface of the combos you can pull off with plasmids and real weapons.

The graphics on the PC are excellent, the lighting is imaculate and the water is some of the best i've seen yet. My only gripe would be that the people don't move correctly for some reason, compared to HL2 and FEAR the peoples movements don't seem correct. It's like they are walking above the ground rather than on it. But this really is a minor gripe to what is an otherwise beautiful game.

Some things I liked. THe wall posters, read them, they will fill out the story and explain things to you (i.e. like the poster for the masquerade ball, which explains why everyone has masks on).

The plane crash at the start. I liked how you could actually wait and watch the tail section sink, rather than have it just sit there bobbing in the water.

The first slide show in the pod. This might be a small thing but its these details I appreciate, as you are watching the slide show you can clearly see the light from the projector reflecting off particles of dust in the air around you. To me this is a nice touch.

THe diaries. Thank GOD they have made them audio diaries. I HATE *with a passion* having to stop the flow of a game to go into some sub menu to read through other peoples emails and diaries to find 1 nugget of information. With the diaries being audio you can listen to them at your leisure with the press of a button while still navigating the map so the gameplay is uninterrupted.

The sounds. They really have hit the nail on the head here with the audio. On 5.1 surround speakers it feels like you are actually there. All too often in games they spend so much time on the graphics that they end up just throwing together some lossy audio that doesn't do the game any justice. Not so with Bioshock. THe audio is either equal or better than the actual graphics.

Can't wait to play the full version of this game now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Fair play, it's cool to see someone change their mind.
    Now you can join us in the horrible wait :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

234000 seconds? But I want it now... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Steez

Didn't think the demo was out already, blast it! I was all set to upgrade stuff to DX10 so i could play it on that. :(
    Ah well, i'll do it for crysis instead. To the loadingdown!

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I played most of the demo when I went home for lunch today and as expected, it blew me away. On a high end PC with DX10 its simply stunning. I'm glad I'm not an unwashed, low-income person who has to play it on a 360.

~
    /impulse 101
    /give extinguisher

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

thrilled that I could run the demo with everything set to max without any problems.

Getting even more excited for this game.

Friday-Sunday will be the only time I have for it, so I better shop up for food etc on thursday to last the weekend (lots of work due next week so after sunday I wont be able to play much)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

So is the demo basically the start of the game? If so I'll give it a go. Better than it jumping you in to some level half way through. Not to much spoiled I hope.
    Hmmm maybe I'll just play Thief 3 for the next few days.

Sortof. It is from the start, but they said it's a bit different from the start of the actual game so people that played the demo don't just replay the same bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11658

Looks like bioshock doesn't have proper wide-screen support.
    Very disappointing. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

wtf ! that sux ass, there better be widescreen in the release version or im not buying

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

MooseJam wrote:
    wtf ! that sux ass, there better be widescreen in the release version or im not buying

Long term glue sniffing is hazardous. Seriously, would you ever have noticed or cared had you not been told. This game is worth playing in black & white for God's sake.

Maximilian wrote:
    Long term glue sniffing is hazardous. Seriously, would you ever have noticed or cared had you not been told. This game is worth playing in black & white for God's sake.

of course i would have noticed, I'm not an imbecile, I have a 26 inch widescreen and play all my games in widescreen, just zooming in is a HUGE difference to having a wider field of view, it totally sux the donkey !! I can't over emphasize this, this is a HUGE screwup by the developers, it should have put release back untill fixed and if it's not fixed they won't see my money nor the money of tens of thousands of others with widescreens

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

MooseJam wrote:
    nor the money of tens of thousands of others with widescreens
    You're delusional.

maybe you don't have a widescreen monitor, but no widescreen support is a huge fückup that will hit pc sales, it is a big issue

I have a widescreen monitor, and I'm not going to let something like that stop me from playing what will be a kickass game. It will not affect sales as much as you seem to think.
    I'd prefer "proper" widescreen support, but from some stuff I've read this may be related to the U3 engine. We'll see what 2k say.

MooseJam wrote:
    maybe you don't have a widescreen monitor, but no widescreen support is a huge fückup that will hit pc sales, it is a big issue
    First of all I do have a widescreen, secondly it can be easily patched and I wouldn't be surprised if a user mod can fix it. Finally no one noticed or complained at all with the 360 demo which renders in a similar way.

You're blowing this way out of proportion.

looking at the 2k forums it's actually working for the 360 version but not the pc one, yea maybe im over reacting but was really looking forward to this and then something crops up and you go ah fück it

How do you know the widescreen we have now isn't how the game is supposed to be played and to make it 4:3 they just rendered a little extra bit top and bottom. People seem to be getting stroppy just cause the older monitors see a little more.

looking at the screenshots and what actually does get cut off it's pretty obvious thats not the case, you lose half the characters hand, check out the pics in the link above, it's pretty bad

• Advertisement

check this pic out, you're losing half your weapon lol

http://www.wsgfmedia.com/packer/BioshockOverlay2.jpg

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/2775/9570003bm4.jpg

360 version is the same and they definately have widescreen set right.

the same but also bad, it really does looked cropped, hopefully there will be a patch out soon

What do you mean? Do you know they wanted you to see his whole hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Played the demo which blew me away i want this game now >_< 8 gig download on steam though ;/

MooseJam wrote:
    of course i would have noticed, I'm not an imbecile, I have a 26 inch widescreen and play all my games in widescreen, just zooming in is a HUGE difference to having a wider field of view, it totally sux the donkey !! I can't over emphasize this, this is a HUGE screwup by the developers, it should have put release back untill fixed and if it's not fixed they won't see my money nor the money of tens of thousands of others with widescreens

So, you can play it in widescreen but because it may be of the cropped variety (despite Chris Kline, the lead programmer, having stated this is not the case on the 2K forums) you wouldn't buy the game? Then you sir, would an idiot. I say "would" because I don't believe for a second you would refuse to play a game this good for such an ultimately petty reason. Unless of course you are 12 or thereabouts and you are going through a rebellious/obstinate phase.

well i don't know what they wanted me to see but the 4:3 with the full hand looks good and the widescreen with half the hand cut off looks crap

Maximilian wrote:
    So, you can play it in widescreen but because it may be of the cropped variety (despite Chris Kline, the lead programmer, having stated this is not the case on the 2K forums) you wouldn't buy the game? Then you sir, would an idiot. I say "would" because I don't believe for a second you would refuse to play a game this good for such an ultimately petty reason. Unless of course you are 12 or thereabouts and you are going through a rebellious/obstinate phase.

http://www.undefinedspace.com/bioshock.gif this is animated give it a few secs

it is cropped, thats a fact whatever Chris Kline says, the screen caps speak for themselves, I'm going to wait and see what 2k say maybe the will get a quick patch out, but it looks crap thats all I'm saying

edit: its not petty , it makes a world of differance

MooseJam wrote:
    http://www.undefinedspace.com/bioshock.gif this is animated give it a few secs

it is cropped, thats a fact whatever Chris Kline says, the screen caps speak for themselves, I'm going to wait and see what 2k say maybe the will get a quick patch out, but it looks crap thats all I'm saying
    Its not a fact, its not cropped and its not unusual at all for hands in FPS to be set like that.

• Advertisement

it is a fact, check out the wsgf I think they know what they are talking about, the 4:3 screen capture show more arm the widescreen shows less arm - it's cropped I'm looking at it with my own eyes

Advertisement