Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish football this weekend, 10-11/08/07

• 09-08-2007 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

August 10
    Bohemians :cool: 7:45 Cork City, Dalymount Park
    Derry City 7:45 Longford Town, The Brandywell
    Drogheda United 7:45 St Patrick's Athletic, United Park
    UCD 7:45 Galway United Belfield Park
    Waterford United 7:45 Shamrock Rovers, RSC
    August 11
    Sligo Rovers 7:45 Bray Wanderers, The Showgrounds

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Yeah like everybody else, Pigheads really looking forward to the massive top of the table clash that could well decide where this seasons title ends up. Two big clubs with a fantastic history slogging it out in one of the finest stadiums in Ireland.

Dundalk V Cobh Ramblers. Sunday @3PM

Its gonna be HUGE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Shels are in great form at the moment. Three wins in three, including beating Dundalk.

We'll be out for revenge this evening against a Monaghan team that beat us 4-0 in June.

I reckon we can take them though. Anto Flood, with five goals in three games, will take his tally up even further, thanks to Dundalk for letting us have him.

Will be hoping Wexford Young Boys can take something off Harps, we are 14 points behind Harps, and have a game in hand over them. If we can get third we'll be in a playoff, and that would be a great season altogether.

The other game is a stonewall away win, with Limerick 37 down in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I fancy us to sneak a point off Derry. Playing well the last few weeks, the hard work put in by the players is beginning to turn into results. Have just jinxed it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

seansouth wrote:
    We'll be out for revenge this evening against a Monaghan team that beat us 4-0 in June.
    Em its tomorrow right?

DSB wrote:
    Em its tomorrow right?

:eek:

I've been going around all day think it's fúcking Friday.

:mad:

Feck it anyway.

• Advertisement

Haha I was even more worried there for a second. Thought there'd been a date change that I hadn't known about. Should be a real good 1 though. Confidence will be high

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Pighead wrote:
    Yeah like everybody else, Pigheads really looking forward to the massive top of the table clash that could well decide where this seasons title ends up. Two big clubs with a fantastic history slogging it out in one of the finest stadiums in Ireland.

Dundalk V Cobh Ramblers. Sunday @3PM

Its gonna be HUGE.

Really looking forward to it myself. A couple of bad results for The Town recently... we really need to claw back that 2-point advantage that Cobh have eeked out.
    seansouth wrote:
    I reckon we can take them though. Anto Flood, with five goals in three games, will take his tally up even further, thanks to Dundalk for letting us have him.

Flood was one of the most inept looking players I'd ever seen in a Dundalk shirt. I was sickened when he scored against us at Tolka recently, but then again, unmarked from 4 yards out, he was hardly likely to miss. Give him a couple of games, and he'll soon return to his regular form, I'm sure. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,956 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

seansouth wrote:
    :eek:

I've been going around all day think it's fúcking Friday.

:mad:

Feck it anyway.

Priceless! :D

Just as well you posted here, otherwise you'd be sitting in Tolka this evening wondering where everyone is!! :D

Back on topic, I'd expect nothing less than three points against Monaghan, but it's gonna be a tough game on Sunday. Fully expect Harps to do Wexford tomorrow, and it's gonna be really interesting.

Really dying for it!!!!

And to the Dundalk fans:Flood is class. But it takes class to know class! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Zebra3 wrote:
    otherwise you'd be sitting in Tolka this evening wondering where everyone is!!
    Isnt that par for the course with a Shels home tie?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

CiaranC wrote:

Damn you, i had that written and your post got in there 1st :D
    And to the Dundalk fans:Flood is class. But it takes class to know class!

*giggle*

Wait till you see him the PL, well maybe one day.

kdjac

• Advertisement

CiaranC wrote:

:)

Very droll.

I'll be in TP tonight anyway. Some Pro-Evolution pretend football thing on.

Supporting my local club by going to fundraisers, ah yes, beats forking out seventy quid for a ManYoo or Liverpool jersey any day!

;)

Spending my whole weekend there in fact, after Boardeaux's match tomorrow, I'll be there for the end of the game, party there on Saturday, then the match on Sunday.

The Harps game is very important if we are to have any hope of taking third spot, a win would be very nice indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

if drogs win this weekend the league could be well and truely over:D but that aint gona happen we havent a chance against their sexy football:rolleyes:

0-0 all the way for this one with drogs playing a 5-5-0 formation to try keep out the might of fitzy and co.

5-5-0 Adventerous home formation? Jaysis we gonna get hammered.

Looks like we swinging back to the 3-5-2

.....................Ryan
    ..........Maguire Brennan Rogers
    Murphy.............Gibson...............Frost
    ......Kirby.....................Ndo
    ........Fitz..................Quigley

Possible O Neill be in instead of Fitz, Keane in for Kirby, Keane and Ndo together in midfield is some prospect, feel sorry for the 1st player Gibson crucifies tackles.

Should be a good game to watch well actually not really but im sure we will have more than 2 players in your half :p

http://www.stpatsfc.com/ Free €10 bet Darragh to score 1st and pats to win 3-1 500-1 ;)

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Can see this being an important week, Drogs win would give them huge advantage , can see it being a draw , Can see Bohs beating Cork and us hopefully beating Bray after good wins over Shams and Cork need to keep the good run going .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

August 10
    Bohemians 7:45 Cork City - Draw
    Derry City 7:45 Longford Town - Home
    Drogheda United 7:45 St Patrick's Athletic - Home
    UCD 7:45 Galway United - Draw
    Waterford United 7:45 Shamrock Rovers - Away

August 11
    Sligo Rovers 7:45 Bray Wanderers - Draw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

gustavo wrote:
    Can see Bohs beating Cork
    Wish I shared your confidence. A lot depends on which Bohs turns up -- the one v Longford :mad: or the one v Rovers :). Maybe we should start with 10 men...

Will RoD be playing for the langballs tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

seansouth wrote:
    :)

The Harps game is very important if we are to have any hope of taking third spot, a win would be very nice indeed.
    :eek: 3rd spot! Think you're getting a bit carried away there mr south. No chance of that happening. Harps are on fire at the moment. Shels aren't capable of putting a run together. Monaghan to get at least a draw tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

SectionF wrote:
    Wish I shared your confidence. A lot depends on which Bohs turns up -- the one v Longford :mad: or the one v Rovers :). Maybe we should start with 10 men...

Just think that the win over Shams will give them extra confidence , nothing to do with the Spoofers tactical knowledge:) Getting rid of Rice was a bad move , I dont think O'Donnell will be up to much for ye to be honest

Pighead wrote:
    Harps are on fire at the moment.
    Well we'll just have to beat them on Sunday to sort that out then won't we?;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

mr_angry wrote:
    Flood was one of the most inept looking players I'd ever seen in a Dundalk shirt. I was sickened when he scored against us at Tolka recently, but then again, unmarked from 4 yards out, he was hardly likely to miss. Give him a couple of games, and he'll soon return to his regular form, I'm sure. :)
    Flood is a decent 1st division player by standards but his bad attitude is larger than Pat Dolan's belly. Last week it took Keely to give him an on pitch bollocking to actually put some effort in during the 1st half and he had the audacity to give Keely verbals back..... it doesn't take rocket scientist to imagine what Keely's response was towards that! :D Flood and Mark Leech should be one hell of an egotistical front pairing for Shels! :eek:

KdjaCL wrote:
    Damn you, i had that written and your post got in there 1st :D

800 at your last home league game? :D
    Pighead wrote:
    :eek: 3rd spot! Think you're getting a bit carried away there mr south. No chance of that happening. Harps are on fire at the moment. Shels aren't capable of putting a run together. Monaghan to get at least a draw tonight.

We're well capable of putting a good run together and our home form is fantastic.

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200708/r166377_618095.jpg
    AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - A giant, smiling Lego man was fished out of the sea in the Dutch resort of Zandvoort on Tuesday.

Workers at a drinks stall rescued the 2.5-meter (8-foot) tall model with a yellow head and blue torso.

"We saw something bobbing about in the sea and we decided to take it out of the water," said a stall worker. "It was a life-sized Lego toy."

A woman nearby added: "I saw the Lego toy floating toward the beach from the direction of England."

The toy was later placed in front of the drinks stall.

Dutch police have been contacted by their Danish counterparts who believe the piece was removed from the Legoland site at Billund, Denmark last Friday.

Police there believe it was removed as a drink-fueled prank and dumped into the North Sea, from where strong currents took it to the Netherlands. They suspect it may be connected to the presence of a large group of Irish football supporters returning home through the nearby Billund Airport on that day.

Wasnt me :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Life without Roy begins tonight. I'm not confident at all for the away trip to Bohemians tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

seansouth wrote:
    Will RoD be playing for the langballs tonight?

sunderland arent playing till tomorrow.

draw for us against the big pub tonight. 1-1

****ing hate playing drogs!!!

They stronger than us and tbh cant see us scoring with that team unless we get filthy with them, jammy goal and timewasting in the 1st half :eek:
    Could hear the drogs fans laugh when Fitz was tru one on one, oh if only O Neill was fit :(

Reckon 2nd half Guy come off for fahey and we go 442 to "compete" with their 4 ie kick **** out of them.

kdjac

Drogs at home and playing a 6-4-0 and hitting us on the break, something is not right in the world of football :confused:

If more than 2 Drogs players cross the halfway line John of Gods cant cope with the nosebleeds :eek:

Hate losing to that ****, at least try and play to feet all the players have them :(

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

A jammy Mansaram goal for Bohs gives them a 2-1 victory over Cork City.

Sickened.

A jammy Mansaram goal for Bohs gives them a 2-1 victory over Cork City.

Sickened.
    Jammy? Beautiful cross from Harkin. And we could have had four.
    Sweet! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Sweet, and Farrelly does a Molloy - scores against us and still loses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

:mad: AAAAAAGGGHH!!

Blatent penalty turned away and 2 mins later Bohs get the winner.

Linesman on the Jodi side.....Not fit to referee....Sack him....Had best view of penno and didnt give it....Useless....AAAAAAGGGGGHH!

Bohs deserved the win on chances.

I think Rico is in the final throws!

On the bench tonight for Cork....

Lordan, Softic, O'Brien, O'Callaghan.....these players would not have been within an asses roar of the 1st team 2 years ago. And when you hear the ****e Rico was coming out with Re: the Roy transfer I don't know who to blame

On the game, good to see 2 teams playing to win.

Have more to say will post when Im in a better mindset

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

kdjacl i think you need to get your head examined we absolutly dominated the match yas had about 20 mins pressure in the 2nd half after shelly went off and stuey came out of the middle.

I really dont know what match you were watching but drogs played great football for the majority of the match and played ye off the park we should have scored 4 or 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

KdjaCL wrote:
    Drogs at home and playing a 6-4-0 and hitting us on the break, something is not right in the world of football :confused:

i thought it was 5-5-0 myself.. it says a lot about the standard of this years league that they're top, and so comfortably..

wasnt in dayler last night but by all accounts we were poor against the pub..

season over, and a change in manager is needed i think.. my personal choice would be cobh manager stephen henderson, he'd have no trouble motivating our players

redzerdrog wrote:
    kdjacl i think you need to get your head examined we absolutly dominated the match yas had about 20 mins pressure in the 2nd half after shelly went off and stuey came out of the middle.

I really dont know what match you were watching but drogs played great football for the majority of the match and played ye off the park we should have scored 4 or 5.

You scored 2 goals on the break at home :|

We played the ball around with no penetration as you had back 4 with 2 players sitting in front of it. Thats the game i was watching.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Drogs fully deserved the win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

KdjaCL wrote:
    You scored 2 goals on the break at home :|

We played the ball around with no penetration as you had back 4 with 2 players sitting in front of it. Thats the game i was watching.

kdjac

So you're complaining because we have a good defence? Good grief!

PDN wrote:
    So you're complaining because we have a good defence? Good grief!

No because your at home and playing horrible football and worst of all 8 points clear with a game in hand playing said football.

kdjac

Linesman on the Jodi side.....Not fit to referee....

:D:D:D

:mad: AAAAAAGGGHH!!

Blatent penalty turned away and 2 mins later Bohs get the winner.

Linesman on the Jodi side.....Not fit to referee....Sack him....Had best view of penno and didnt give it....Useless....AAAAAAGGGGGHH!

Bohs deserved the win on chances.

I think Rico is in the final throws!

On the bench tonight for Cork....

Lordan, Softic, O'Brien, O'Callaghan.....these players would not have been within an asses roar of the 1st team 2 years ago. And when you hear the ****e Rico was coming out with Re: the Roy transfer I don't know who to blame

On the game, good to see 2 teams playing to win.

Have more to say will post when Im in a better mindset
    Yes, you probably would have fared better with Alan Kelly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Joxer had a similar penalty appeal in the first half and most of the crowd thought he deserved a card for it, both players went down very easily to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

KdjaCL wrote:
    No because your at home and playing horrible football and worst of all 8 points clear with a game in hand playing said football.

kdjac

I'm enjoying watching this 'horrible' winning football. We just happen to have scored 34 league goals so far this season (more than any other club), and there is a buzz about Drogheda. Out on the street today I'm seeing more people wearing Drogheda United shirts than I'm seeing English Premiership shirts, there's more and more flags appearing on cars.

Of course if I want to see really beautiful football then I'll watch Arsenal. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Cork fully deserved to lose last night. Richardson stood with his arms folded while his team were torn open 4 or 5 times in the first half and they were absolutely steeped to go in at 0-0 for half time. During the firs half, several cork players racked up 3 or 4 fouls each, and it was a mystery how none managed to pick up cards for persistent fouling.

Towards the end, a Cork player won a free kick right down at the corner flag, and moved the ball on around 15 yards nearly level with the edge of the box. Ref looked on and did nothing. Inept refereeing performance it might have been, but biased it most certainly was not. Siege mentalities don't work when you're crap, and right now, Cork are crap, and don't deserve anything out of the games they're losing.

:( Gutted, absolutely gutted...... not just gutted for losing to Harps by a 95th minute free kick but also for losing in that manner to a dirty team full of sneaky thugs aided by their 12th and 13th man in the form of the referee and one of the linesmen :mad:

Shels for the second time in 3 days were lackluster but Harps were equally as lackluster and a 0-0 draw would have been a fitting and fair result. An uncharacteristically stupid free kick given away by Stuey Malcolm 20 yards out begging for the ball to be blasted into the net cost us. it was cruel, we didn't play great but didn't deserve to lose. now the officiating :rolleyes: , at first i thought the referee had no control over the match but as the match went on it was apparent as f**k who'd colours the ref was wearing with endless dirty tackles, elbows and winding up tactics by Harps going unpunished in comparison to our players who were been punished for winning balls or being 3 yards onside :rolleyes: we did well to go nearly all the way under those circumstances. that's the 3rd time/3rd different ref this season who has sinisterly f**ked us over.

Harps don't have much going for them apart from their solid back four, i'd rate Dundalk and Cobh in that order as technically better sides. Harps' current run is a red herring, if Harps do go up they'll get slaughtered in the Premier, no question about that. i'm not convinced by some of Shels' new ''premier division standard'' signings who are probably costing us alot in wages by 1st division levels, some don't look up to it. these signings were for intent to build a title winning side next season but i still think Shels look a 3rd - 5th place side. i'd rather we would just cut back to shoestring wage levels until we find a new ground and then start thinking about promotion.

no question IMO that Dundalk are the best team in 1st, Cobh are punching above their weight and Harps only have the ability to play dirty until the end of the season. Praying that Dundalk or Cobh win it instead of that bunch of filthy wankstains from Donegal

Twice denied a blatant peno in the space of about 10 seconds, both times for handball.

Twice Harps players elbowed Shels players in the face. Frees given, but no red cards. :confused:

And missed two great chances as well.

Highly pissed off. :mad:

I'm equally as gutted with the result lads, but the ref was bad for both sides.

Jim Crawford threw a headbutt right in front of the dugout, I don't know how the linesman didn't see it tbh.

And, Harps were denied a stonewall penalty in the first half for the jersey pull, he nearly had the shirt off his back tbh.

I was sitting in the pressbox, just behind the dugouts btw.

seansouth wrote:
    I'm equally as gutted with the result lads, but the ref was bad for both sides.
    sorry seansouth, i'm not one of these partizan supporters who blindly says everything that goes against my team is al the ref's fault, ref cheating or our players been angels or whatever, i call things spade a spade, i've seen many times where the ref has been equally as poor for both sides but the ref f88ked Shels over wherever he could yesterday. it wasn't with the big decisions, we were getting players booked for similar challenges that the Harps players were only conceding a free kick, there were endless amounts of other free kicks that were only going one way, about 3 or 4 Harps players were doing everything they possibly could in the book to make James Chambers smash his fist into their skulls and the refs and the linesman stood there and turned a blind eye, Alan Murphy was the victim of a rotten challenge, IMO deserving of a red card (the thug who made the challenge had a big smile on his face :rolleyes: ) and Harps players tried to lift Murphy off the ground as if to say he dived when he could have had a serious injury and the ref did nothing about them... Harps got away with murder too many times, the ref had his favourites yesterday, no question about that.
    Jim Crawford threw a headbutt right in front of the dugout, I don't know how the linesman didn't see it tbh.
    i was close to Crawford incident at the time myself, i saw an altercation but i did not see a headbutt thrown by Jim, i did see the Harps player swing an elbow that just missed Jim's face getting him in the neck area which was ignored by the officials
    And, Harps were denied a stonewall penalty in the first half for the jersey pull, he nearly had the shirt off his back tbh.
    Harps penality was as stone wall penalty me hole, there was a slight tug of the shirt at most as you see in every match in the penalty box, the Harps player was nowhere near to getting onto the ball but that slight tug of the shirt did not impede him from getting near the corssed ball which was only going out for a goal kick, you rarely ever get those penalties. Zebra3 thought we should have had 2 penalties in the 2nd half but they looked like ball to arm to me..... me biased? :D

Any handball in the penalty area, I believe, is a penalty, reagardless of whether it's delibrate or not. Look a the peno we got against Glentoran in Tolka a couple of years. Same thing and with a proper ref, we got a peno and a second yellow was given to the defender.

There was even a bizarre corner given to Harps in the first half when one of their players hit a shot way wide, their players dropped back to defend the goal kick that was due....and the ref gave a corner. :rolleyes:

Horrendous refereeing against Shels at both games this weekend. I don't agree about us being a lacklustre side against Harps. I thought we well deserved the win but when everytime a player made any sort of run he was being called offside so what attacking chance did we really have? We defended well (apart from Alan Keely who is really the worst player to ever grace any pitch anywhere) until a player who should never have been still on the pitch knocked in a free kick.

Shelbourne 0 Finn Harps/Dodgy Referee 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Payback.

Can you say troll?

• Advertisement
Advertisement