Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigabit Switches

Options
  • 09-08-2007 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

can anyone give me their opinions on the brands of switches.

I'm updgrading our network to use gigabit uplinks onthe floosgoing to a full gigabit swith in the comms room (crrently 20 odd users + printers all share1 10/100 port for uplink which then goes through another 10/100 port on aswitch in the comms room).

However, pricing and delivery dates are quite variable.

Currently its looking like:
    24port gigabit linksys mnaged in the comms room (I want managed switching in there

and 2x 2 port10/100+ 2xgb uplink on each floor. these are a brand called networx - never used these before - and are unmanaged.

Is it worth waiting for 3com switches to come available ?
    Opinions on D-link ?
    would love to go Cisco but they are too expensive.
    Had bad experiences with Dell managed switches before so not sure about them.

any opinions / advice ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Dlink

v good and v cheap and v quiet

remember that gige will auto crossover if required, plug it in and it detects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭ob

I highly recommend 3Com, but whichever brand you go for, you might as well use the same brand for all switches.
    Is it worth waiting for 3com switches to come available ?

What model are you waiting on? Lead time for 3Com switches should be relatively short. Usually if a distritutor doesn't have them, they can get them in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

any opinions on Dell switches (unmanaged?)

the 2324 looks pretty good for the price and the 2724 has cut down management but enough for my needs.

2724: http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pwcnt_2724?c=ie&cs=iebsdt1&l=en&s=bsd

2324: http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pwcnt_2324?c=ie&l=en&s=bsd&cs=iebsdt1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭ob

The 2724 has a poor enough switching rate, but then again it is very cheap.

You should really use link aggregation on your two 1GB uplinks between switches, this will result in a 2GB trunk between switchs. The 2724 will not have this feature, but the 2324 does. You need this feature on both sides of the trunk, and this is why it's nice to have equipment from the same manufacturer.

How many edge switches are you getting, and are there many clients behind each?

Will your server be connected to the switch in the comms room?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

HP Procurves are reasonable too.
    I wouldn't go with Dell for a production Switch, their network equipment is like their PCs, quick/cheap/easy/mediocre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I just got 8 of HP Procurves 2824's back in January of this year. Gigabit Managed cost a few pennies but its worth it in imo.

One actually failed after two months and HP had a new one out in 4 hours.

Overall though what you want is stability, I have zero problems with them. Its another thing I don't have to worry about anymore which is a big bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Dell switches are 'grand' but I wouldn't recommend them for anything critical. Too 'temperamental'

Advertisement