Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From the Outdoor Pursuits forum

Options
  • 09-08-2007 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

cavedave wrote:
    Fungi, okaaaaay. *wink* *wink*

Give us a trip update when you get back!

Am I detecting that you believe the study of mycology to be solely related to illicit drug use? That is a pretty weird and narrow minded view to have. I would guess that there are the same percentage of plants that contain drug alkaloids as of mushrooms and botanists do not get insinuations all the time.

Dave has been complaining yesteday about my descision to lock a thread on the outdoor pursuits forum that I deemed to be inappropriate. I'll point out that Dave didn't start this thread but has decided to complain about my descision via pm to me, on the Outdoor Pursuits forum and on the Nature and Bird Watching forum.

The original thread is here.
    My reasons for locking it are stated in thread.

To respond to Dave's comment above (as I already have via pm). It is up to me to decide when something should be locked or not. The OP didn't respond or complain so I left it locked. If they had stated their case I would have unlocked the thread.

Dave, in future if you have a problem with my moderating which you want do dicuss publicly then this is the place to do so, as I have told you a number of times. Any more hijacking threads in my forums and I'll ban you for that forum.

E.P.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Completely OTT. Move it to a gardening forum, or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

The OP found the Nature & Bird Watching forum themselves. Dave seems to have hijacked that thread too.

But I seemed to have missed your point. I just locked the thread, as I often do, partly because I've been expecting threads like this (as I usually do coming up to Autumn) partly because I didn't know where to move it to. The OP didn't complain so I left it locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

The OP found the Nature & Bird Watching forum themselves. Dave seems to have hijacked that thread too.

Apologies I have removed that comment from the nature forum (before i saw this thread) as it was inappropriate
    Completely OTT. Move it to a gardening forum, or the like.
    I Agree that threads about looking at nature are more to do with the nature forum then outdoor pursuits
    Dave, in future if you have a problem with my moderating which you want do dicuss publicly then this is the place to do so, as I have told you a number of times.
    Agreed that the nature comment was inappropriate. This quoted comment does not refer to your moderating though.
    Any more hijacking threads in my forums and I'll ban you for that forum.
    I have not hijacked any threads in your forums that i am aware of. Arguing that the study of mycology and foraging is a legitimate subject in a thread about bushcraft is hijacking a thread?

cavedave wrote:
    I have not hijacked any threads in your forums that i am aware of. Arguing that the study of mycology and foraging is a legitimate subject in a thread about bushcraft is hijacking a thread?

That comment was a direct result of this ongoing argument between ourselves as well you know. To claim otherwise is just childish.

I locked a thread, get over it, the OP seems to have.

I locked a thread, get over it, the OP seems to have.
    I am now over it.
    That comment was a direct result of this ongoing argument between ourselves as well you know. To claim otherwise is just childish.
    What the comment was a result of is immaterial to whether it breaches the rules or principles of the outdoor pursuits forum. Iff asking that mycology foraging (of a non drug related kind) not be mocked as a subject on the outdoor pursuits forum is hijacking the thread then the comment should have been deleted.

• Advertisement

cavedave wrote:
    What the comment was a result of is immaterial

No its not. You hijacked a thread because you had a problem with my decision. Stop trying to make some pedantic arguement to avoid the obvious.

If you have a problem me my moderating you should have discussed it here. If you have a problem with any post in a thread you can report that post - or you could have complained about it here (seeing as I'm the mod reporting the post to me wouldn't have been much use anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

If the OP doesn't bother to find the appropriate forum for a new thread, why the hell should the Moderator? It may be that the OP is new or just plain lazy. Either way, it's not up to the mod to move it, merely to keep his own patch tidy.

Personally, I do tend to move stuff to the proper fora, but I'm not obliged to, and I get queried for that. The other correct course, locking, also raises queries.

As a Mod, you can't please everybody. The coke and the hookers are ample compensation though.

I do normally move threads, recruitment threads on the programming forum go over to Work & Jobs for instance. But I wasn't sure about the nature of this thread or where it should go, better to deal with it myself than pass the buck onto another mod I suppose.

No its not. You hijacked a thread because you had a problem with my decision. Stop trying to make some pedantic arguement to avoid the obvious.

Is it possible for another mod to comment on this? Can a legitimate comment be deleted because a moderator believes it was inspired by a non legitimate comment? Creating thoughtcrimes is generally considered to be a bad idea.
    If you have a problem with any post in a thread you can report that post - or you could have complained about it here (seeing as I'm the mod reporting the post to me wouldn't have been much use anyway).

If a comment is in breach of the rules of the forum i agree. If it is something i regard as inappropriate it would seem better to state why i believe this be the case and allow the conversation to continue. Reporting everything we disagree with does not seem a wise idea.

Thoughtcrime. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

cave dave wrote:
    Is it possible for another mod to comment on this? Can a legitimate comment be deleted because a moderator believes it was inspired by a non legitimate comment? Creating thoughtcrimes is generally considered to be a bad idea.
    I think Phil did the right thing there. These threads usually end up being dragged down by people wanting to know where to find "Mushies", and not because they are just interested in mycology*.

It's more Pre-moderation than creating thoughtcrimes.

The first post in this thread proves my point that Phil did the right thing.

*You learn something new every day.

It's more Pre-moderation than creating thoughtcrimes.

the line between thoughtcrime and pre-crime is pretty clear

The first post in this thread proves my point that Phil did the right thing.
    If the first post was not by Phil it might be a more conclusive argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Terry wrote:
    I think Phil did the right thing there. These threads usually end up being dragged down by people wanting to know where to find "Mushies", and not because they are just interested in mycology*.
    Yep, pretty much. Whatever the rationale behind the original post, this is the unfortunate truth.

I would also be of the opinion that threads on mycology belong on the Biology forum mostly, perhaps the nature forum less so.
    Reporting everything we disagree with does not seem a wise idea.
    Agreed. I don't think that's what was meant (though it depends on one's opinion of "A problem with"). If you disagree with a post, then please respond to it. If you believe a post requires some action from a moderator, then please report it.
    the line between thoughtcrime and pre-crime is pretty clear
    This is not a criminal matter. It's a matter of preventing the crap from appearing in the first place.

cavedave wrote:
    If the first post was not by Phil it might be a more conclusive argument.
    I was referring to the quote in the first post.
    I should have been more clear on that.

Dave: I locked a thread that wasn't started by you, that is all that happened. I didn't delete it, I didn't ban anybody. I locked it for a good reason - the OP didn't complain.

You were not part of that equation, you've kicked up quite a stink over a matter that doesn't involve you YET you refused to bring it up on feedback which is the correct place to discuss these things. The thread is locked, it will stay locked. Don't go trying to disguise you post in the bushcraft thread as anything other than what it was - a continuation of this.

If you step out of line again on the Outdoor Pursuits forum I'll ban you.

I've updated the forum charter to cover this issue.

That's the end of it as far as I'm concerned.

This is not a criminal matter. It's a matter of preventing the crap from appearing in the first place.
    That is a fair point talking about crimes may be exaggerating matters unhelpfully
    I was referring to the quote in the first post.
    As was i, I should have been more clear on that.*
    Dave: I locked a thread that wasn't started by you, that is all that happened. I didn't delete it, I didn't ban anybody. I locked it for a good reason - the OP didn't complain.You were not part of that equation, you've kicked up quite a stink over a matter that doesn't involve you YET you refused to bring it up on feedback which is the correct place to discuss these things. The thread is locked, it will stay locked.
    To use your own advice can you stop talking about a thread that no one seems to be disagreeing with you about?
    I locked a thread, get over it,
    Don't go trying to disguise you post in the bushcraft thread as anything other than what it was - a continuation of this.

If you step out of line again on the Outdoor Pursuits forum I'll ban you.
    I am asking for evidence or even another mod opinion that i did step out of line. Until some other mod says "your comment in response to a thread on what you can eat on the wild was innappropriate and it was correctly removed" or words to that effect I will keep asking questions. Threats to ban me if i redo something i am trying to find out if i was wrong about seem premature, do they not?

*edit this is the original thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055044235
    I am disputing the removal of my comment on this thread. I no longer dispute any actions in relation to another thread that i have gotten over.

cavedave wrote:
    *edit this is the original thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055044235
    I am disputing the removal of my comment on this thread. I no longer dispute any actions in relation to another thread that i have gotten over.

I've already explained why I removed that comment and posted it here. Jesus, some people ...

/adds cavedave to ignore list

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭fits

I dont think it should have been closed. It was about a man going looking for mushrooms with his family.
    It could even belong in food forum, it certainly wasnt out of place in outdoor pursuits imo.
    I'd personally love a 'drug free' mushroom hunting thread. Had some wild mushrooms a couple of weeks ago and they were the most delicious meal I've had in ages, but I've no idea what to look for myself.

fits wrote:
    I'd personally love a 'drug free' mushroom hunting thread.

So would I fits, so would I.

The problem is that these threads end up filled with innuendo about where to find drugs.
    It's sad that this happens, but unfortunately the internet is full of idiots who cannot leave a good thread alone and the mods cannot be there 24/7 to keep an eye on these threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I personally think that thread was locked a bit too quickly. Sure, it would be a thread to keep an eye on, but it started off very innocently and could have been given the benefit of the doubt for a while. Might be a bit different if it was in AH but Outdoor Pursuits is hardly the sort of forum to attract the sort of idiots who ruin threads like this.

Actually cornbb it has done in the past, thats why I locked it.

I'd personally love a 'drug free' mushroom hunting thread.

So would I fits, so would I.
    So why censor my talking about how bushcraft of one of the three forms of life does not have to revolve around picking a few species that are illegal? Why can you say you would like to be able to discuss legal mushrooms but if i say it the post is censored? :confused:
    I've already explained why I removed that comment and posted it here. Jesus, some people ...
    And i have already explained why i disagree with your decision to censor a post by me. I am now waiting for another moderators decision on whether censoring my post was correct. Censoring by a moderator of comments that reply to the moderators own comment seems like a conflict of interests. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    I've updated the forum charter to cover this issue.
    Charter updated to include
    # Any threads that may be used to discuss illegal activities (such as drug use) may be locked or deleted. If a thread is locked feel free to contact the moderators to argue your case.
    "may" seems a rather vague term here. Surely a thread on anything "may" be used to discuss illegal activites? The actual discussion of dangerous acts is already covered in the forums charter and can already be dealt with.

Advertisement