Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyre Fitters (when not buying the tyre) in Dublin

Options
  • 09-08-2007 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Hi All,

In the process of prepping the car for sale (see my T-belt thread!) I am also getting new tyres - looking at getting them at www.eiretyres.com - good value, €40/tyre less than any garage I've tried!

Has anyone used them before? any comments?

My main question is where is a good (ie not rip-off) place in Dublin to have the tyres fitted?

I know the website has a few places it recommends but address details are sketchy and I cant find a website or anything for the garages.

Help appreciated!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

mack1 wrote:
    Hi All,

In the process of prepping the car for sale (see my T-belt thread!) I am also getting new tyres - looking at getting them at www.eiretyres.com - good value, €40/tyre less than any garage I've tried!

Has anyone used them before? any comments?

My main question is where is a good (ie not rip-off) place in Dublin to have the tyres fitted?

I know the website has a few places it recommends but address details are sketchy and I cant find a website or anything for the garages.

Help appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Hi - I got my last set of tyres from eiretyres and was very happy with the service. The local Advance Pitstop fitted them, I can't remember if it was 10 or 20 a tyre, but I'm thinking it was 20. Maybe a smaller garage, not part of a chain, would do it for 10 a tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

Just called the local Advance Pitstop & FastFit - both said they will only fit tyres if you buy from them! Can't say I am that surprised really!

"I have a great idea, instead of trying to compete with those interweb computer lads let's just refuse to fit their tyres - that'll do the trick! Smartarse customers, that'll learn em"

I hate service in this country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭iblis

mack1 wrote:
    Just called the local Advance Pitstop & FastFit - both said they will only fit tyres if you buy from them! Can't say I am that surprised really!

"I have a great idea, instead of trying to compete with those interweb computer lads let's just refuse to fit their tyres - that'll do the trick! Smartarse customers, that'll learn em"

That is sooo typical. Slightly offtopic but I had a similar situation with an alarm fitter. Price was 300 for alarm and 300 for fitting. Then I realised I could get the same alarm from eBay (with all the parts advertised by the fitter, tape and solder etc were part of the fitting charge) for 120 including postage. So I asked how much to just fit the alarm if I provided it. 500 euro...

So I guess there was about a 200 euro "because you have no other choice fee".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

it is up to the seller of a service to charge what he likes ..

The alarm fitter guy probably felt that his day installing the alarm was worth about 500quid and factored the cost of the alarm in to this.

If you don't like it try someone else !!.

Would you go in to a pub with a bag of cans and offer the barman 20cent for each glass you use?

whippet wrote:
    it is up to the seller of a service to charge what he likes ..

The alarm fitter guy probably felt that his day installing the alarm was worth about 500quid and factored the cost of the alarm in to this.

If you don't like it try someone else !!.

Would you go in to a pub with a bag of cans and offer the barman 20cent for each glass you use?

Why do so many people sit on these boards waiting for somebody to argue with?

If I went into a bar that had seperate prices for glasses with your own beer and buying house beer, I would expect that price not to increase 67% when I decide to take him up on it.

But we are peeing in someone elses pool here. This is completely off topic and pointless. And if I'm not mistaken, trolling is against the forum rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

mack1 wrote:

Advance Pitstop in Dundrum fitted my eiretyres

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

iblis wrote:
    Why do so many people sit on these boards waiting for somebody to argue with?

If I went into a bar that had seperate prices for glasses with your own beer and buying house beer, I would expect that price not to increase 67% when I decide to take him up on it.

But we are peeing in someone elses pool here. This is completely off topic and pointless. And if I'm not mistaken, trolling is against the forum rules.

ahem ... you were the first to bring it off topic with regards to the alarm fitter ! I was just giving the view point of a service provider!

yet . .you would probably sit on an airplane after paying over €150 for the flight and the person in the seat beside you who only paid a fiver. Market conditions are one of many variables which dictate prices.

In direct response to the OP I would imagine you would have better joy checking out independent tyre fitters as opposed to the franchised or main dealers as they may have policies etc .. a copy of the golden pages is what you need and let your finger do the walking !

Yeah that's what I'll have to do - I can't believe it's the year 2007 and I have to use a frickin Golden Pages! Anywhere that don't have a website really doesnt deserve business - any monkey can stick up a webpage with location and opening hours on it!

To your point of paying for a service - that's all fair enough, I will pay (a reasonable amount) but to point blank refuse to provide a service coz I wont allow you rip me off with your marked up tyres? different story! Or in the case of the other guys alarm, if fitting costs 300 then charge 300, dont inflate it coz u pissed somebody found an alarm cheaper!

Now where did I leave that golden pages.....it'll be with the gramophone...

PS - before you all reply with goldenpages.ie it seems to be down today!

whippet wrote:
    ahem ... you were the first to bring it off topic with regards to the alarm fitter ! I was just giving the view point of a service provider!

yet . .you would probably sit on an airplane after paying over €150 for the flight and the person in the seat beside you who only paid a fiver. Market conditions are one of many variables which dictate prices.

I'm not going to waste everyone elses time with this drivel, you have pm.

Sorry OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭skibum

I recently used these guys fit tyres that I sourced:
    Sandyford Tyre Centre
    Sandyford rd,
    Dundrum
    (01)295 5305

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,373 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

iblis banned from motors for a week for personal abuse
    mack1 wrote:
    the website has a few places it recommends but address details are sketchy

That or knowing a friendly place that will do it for you is they only way, I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Ginger83

The eiretyres website has a fitters section with a choice of garages who will fit their tyres throughout Ireland. Whats the problem? Most give rough costs for fitting too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Ginger83 wrote:
    The eiretyres website has a fitters section with a choice of garages who will fit their tyres throughout Ireland. Whats the problem? Most give rough costs for fitting too.
    Buyers should bear in mind too, that most tyre places include fitting, balancing, and disposal of the old tyres when they quote a price for new tyres.
    Most of the fitters listed on eiretyres appear to be quoting €10 for fitting and balancing, and another €10 for fitting to alloy wheels; some are even more, and some charge a fee to dispose of the old tyres too.

Just something to keep in mind when comparing Internet vs Real World prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

mack1 wrote:

You obviously have't thought this through. Let's take two scenarios:

(1) An independent garage agrees to fit 4 tyres that you have supplied to your wheels and fit the wheels with new tyres to your car. While fitting the tyre to the wheel, the tyre wall tears under the stress of being streched over the rim. Now, if you bought the tyre from the same place that is fitting it, no problem. If you have supplied the tyre yourself, you have a problem, because the person fitting the tyre cannot rule out the possibility that the tyre was defective internally. If he has supplied the tyre and it is defective internally and tears during fitting, you don't have to worry about it. Not the case if you are buying probably the cheapest tyre you can find and asking someone else to fit it for you should a problem subsequently emerge with the tyre.

(2) Say 2 days after having tyres you have supplied fitted by an independent garage, you have a blow out and are involved in an accident at high speed. You make a connection between the tyres, the fitting of the tyres and your accident. Who is possibly to blame here??? The tyre manufacturer, the person who fitted the tyres, or maybe the company who sold you the tyres???

Leaving the safety aspect of the argument, garages like all other businesses have overheads and substantial overheads at that, such as rent, wages, rates, insurance, ESB, telephone, stationary, etc. They cannot pay overheads unless they can maintain a margin of profit on what they sell. You don't go into Eurospar and buy a Granby burger and then go into Mc Donalds with your Granby burger and ask the girl at the grill to fry it for you so you can save money, do you??? You don't go into your local with a can of Heineken and ask the barman for a glass so you can drink it, do you??? No, so you shouldn't expect a garage to take the same senseless shortcuts and compromise their margin that allows them to continue operating as a business just because you don't want to pay the retail price for tyres. By all means, shop around, but please play fair, I don't know why people try this with garages and no other provider of services.

I do kind of see your point, in that this is something you can do with garages and not McDonald's for example - I dont agree with the safety aspect part though, dodgy tyres are dodgy tyres no matter who you bought them from.

However, this IS done with garages, at least it is elsewhere I have lived - both in the US & UK this was standard practice - in the UK there are even mobile units who will come to your house and fit your own tyres for you!

If I can find the tyres I want (Pirelli P6000s are hard to find here btw, neither FastFit nor Advance have them) at a cheaper price I dont give a rats ass what overheads the garage have to cover, I'm not gonna be the sucker who pays for them - if they cant run their business well enough to compete then that's their problem!

Thanks all for the replies, Sandyford Tyre Centre from skibum is a go! cheers for that, saved me 160 quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Darragh29 wrote:
    Leaving the safety aspect of the argument, garages like all other businesses have overheads and substantial overheads at that, such as rent, wages, rates, insurance, ESB, telephone, stationary, etc. They cannot pay overheads unless they can maintain a margin of profit on what they sell. You don't go into Eurospar and buy a Granby burger and then go into Mc Donalds with your Granby burger and ask the girl at the grill to fry it for you so you can save money, do you??? You don't go into your local with a can of Heineken and ask the barman for a glass so you can drink it, do you??? No, so you shouldn't expect a garage to take the same senseless shortcuts and compromise their margin that allows them to continue operating as a business just because you don't want to pay the retail price for tyres. By all means, shop around, but please play fair, I don't know why people try this with garages and no other provider of services.

But then McDonalds don't advertise themselves as 'burger fryers' or bars as 'glass providers' while you will see businesses offering 'tyre fitting' or 'alarm fitting'. While most people would have a frying pan or a glass at home, not many would have the machinery available to fit and balance a tyre.

As for overheads, I'm sure the cost of fitting is quite profitable in itself. If not why would they even fix punctures, which involves more labour than replacing a tyre with a new one?

having re-read I just want to carify that my position is not that I want it for free - I dont expect the garage to make zero profit from it, I will pay for the fitting - I am saying that at say 10 or 15 a tyre that is a nice profit, but some refuse to do it because they are pissed that you found the tyre somewhere else, instead of realising that there is still business to be had in the fitting

Advertisement