Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East Link bridge ?

Options
  • 09-08-2007 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

Just wondering does anyone use the East link toll bridge regularly ?

Are there many HGV's etc using it etc?

I've noticed part of the southern road leading to the bridge channels vehicles a bit tightly..

I'd be using it during rush hour to get to/from work.

My journey is basically Raheny to Donnybrook.

It would probably save a bit of time compared with going via the Talbot Memorial Bridge?

thanks

davej

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

I use it when going for a training around Howth. Traffic can be jammers on the bridge itself, it is hard to filter by the traffic at those times. You have to be bloody careful on the bridge if you filter past HGVs on their left, the heavy metal railing allows no escape (except perhaps over the top), you don't want to get squeezed between a HGV and that railing.

I avoid the southern road that leads up to the toll, I go through Irishtown instead (through Thorncastle street). There's a gap in the wall where you can get through (not the footpath). When travelling North to South you need to be assertive to get to that gap, luckily the road at that point is wide enough to allow you to take a position in the right of the lane and wait for a gap to appear in the oncoming traffic. When it is busy you'll have to merge into the traffic so that cars cannot overtake you to get to the right of the lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

There's no need to cycle across the bridge amongst the HGVs and cars when you can simply dismount and walk across the footpath...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I use it all the time. Move at a fair clip and take the lane. You'll be over quick enough not to bother people if you don't hang about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

I often use it. During rush hours (most of the day) you'll be much faster than traffic and it might be quicker to hop onto the footpath and wheel the bike (which is what you're supposed to do! - and hope you don't meet a child in a pram coming the other way). Otherwise it's fine.

I too would cross the road before the toll and take the gap in the wall to Ringsend and then follow the Dodder up to Donnybrook. Nice journey.

As for your question re HGVs the situation is much much better since the port tunnel! I used to hate that cycle ten to five years ago around the port. It's an industrial area so there are still a fair number of trucks.

By the way - has anyone mentioned the roundabout from south going north at the Point - if you handsignal and take good road position there's a tramline to negotiate which is treacherous!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Watch out also on North Wall Quay and East Wall Road, the cycle lanes aren't teh best and are interupted in a number of places.
    oobydooby wrote:
    By the way - has anyone mentioned the roundabout from south going north at the Point - if you handsignal and take good road position there's a tramline to negotiate which is treacherous!
    That is no longer connected to the rail network and I'm going to ask for it to be removed. I suspect it needs a ministerial order though.

It is cut off at the East Wall Yard and the Point Depot car park which is currently a 3 storey hole in the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Thanks for all the info lads.
    I tried it out this morning and it wasn't too bad. I took the gap just before the toll as suggested by Membrane and oobydooby.
    I'll watch out for the tramline on the way home !

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

oobydooby wrote:

I hate those tram lines there. I try cross 'em at right angles, not always easy when there are cars about though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Victor wrote:
    That (tram line) is no longer connected to the rail network and I'm going to ask for it to be removed. I suspect it needs a ministerial order though.
    Could it be made safer by some sort of filling-in, a type that would allow it to be easily reactivated at a later stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

daymobrew wrote:
    Could it be made safer by some sort of filling-in, a type that would allow it to be easily reactivated at a later stage?
    Probably, but I doubt it will ever be re-used - I suspect the Point Village building will be in the way.

You still have the problem of the difference in resistance between the top of hte rail and the surrounding asphalt.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Use it regularly, generally take the lane and am at least as fast as the traffic. Don't undertake HGVs, just wait behind them. Careful on the tram lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Membrane wrote:
    You have to be bloody careful on the bridge if you filter past HGVs on their left, the heavy metal railing allows no escape (except perhaps over the top), you don't want to get squeezed between a HGV and that railing.

I noticed yesterday that one of the metal railings has been removed (the first one on the left heading north). I wonder was it removed for the safety reasons alluded to above?

More likely a HGV damaged it, which goes to show how dangerous it really could have been..

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

A section of the railing on the north side & going north (Point Depot side of the bridge) was damaged a few weeks ago by some edget who stole a car, crashed it in to the bridge having crossed the road to his wrong side and then dived in to the Liffey to make good his escape.

I believe the muppet in question was apprehended. I think the car was stolen from the RTE sports presenter Colm Murray after he had parked it in a car park !!! Is nothing sacred ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

davej wrote:
    I noticed yesterday that one of the metal railings has been removed (the first one on the left heading north). I wonder was it removed for the safety reasons alluded to above?

More likely a HGV damaged it, which goes to show how dangerous it really could have been..
    A friend of mine ran NTR/East Link this morning. He was told that the barrier was there to prevent vehicles going into the river (nothing to do with protecting pedestrians or cyclists). It has been removed because existing barriers have been deemed suitable for that purpose. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I go over the Eastlink bridge during rush hour most days a week aswell.

I find it's grand going down the South Road to the Toll, but then you get stuck behind the queue, right at the toll booth. You do have to be careful though - most drivers prefer to look at the sea rather than check their mirrors for cyclists coming up on the left hand side. :mad:

Those tram lines are fairly iffy alright, I try to take them at a sharp angle. And then of course you have the worst cycle lane ever, up past the point.. Followed by what must be the most dangerous road to cycle on in Dublin, East Wall Road. No room for cyclists, and there's dust and grit constantly in your eyes.. I generally hop up on the path :o

Advertisement