Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pulse again very high

Options
  • 09-08-2007 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Coming to the realisation that it has probably always been above normal....a very stressful family environment...a nervous disposition which I am overcoming...but it's athough the heart races with minimal provocation these days...scary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I went through two years of having an abnormally high pulse due to medication. It's not very nice and can make life a bit difficult.

Have you spoken to your doctor about it at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

How many beats per minute?

It sounds like palpatations to me.

They are mostly harmless (says the guy who is afraid to leave the house for fear of having one), but could be caused by something serious.

Like nesf said, go see a doctor.

Terry wrote:
    They are mostly harmless (says the guy who is afraid to leave the house for fear of having one), but could be caused by something serious.

Unless it's drug related. I've got a card in my wallet with the name of some kind of scan I need to get done if I have another set of them. :(

Not that it's drug related for you Filian or anything, it's just the combination of the two drugs I'm on at the moment can screw with my central nervous system apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

Started taking Inderal yesterday...actually didn't take them when prescribed a few months ago...so started yesterday..have noticed a decreased pulse already

As I said I have a history of anxiety disorder...and a lot of inner conflict.

My G.P. dosen't seem worried

But even small levels of stress seem to speed it up dramaticaly these days...working on the conflict...but easy it aint

Usually just a slight tremor..but now responds rapidly to even small anxiety..often things which bother me just a little...for example yesterday making a complaint..elicited a short lived...but rapid heart response...scary

Measurement is also difficult...as with most people...when we focus on our heart rate...most do when it's being measured...the rate rises due to this focus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I'll tell ya something that reading this forum has taught me - medics really need to treat these problems holistically rather than trying to treat each symptom separately and exclusively. Hope you feel better soon Filan.

• Advertisement

Taking less than half the recommended dose..1 or 2 tablets...the recommended level is 4....as I want to minimise side affects or withdrawal symptoms..but my pulse has dropped..now within normal levels and only occasional shake if stressed...hopefully it isn't serious..should I feel have sought medication a long time ago

highly disturbed vision in one eye, nausea and light headedness..terrifiying..flushed remainder down the toilet...I'd rather take my chances than take that..horrendous

Filan wrote:
    highly disturbed vision in one eye, nausea and light headedness..terrifiying..flushed remainder down the toilet...I'd rather take my chances than take that..horrendous

Talk to your doctor about it. He might be able to suggest something else that you won't react as badly to. I know that it took many attempts to find medication that "suited" me.

Don't give up on medication just because you suffered a bad side effect from one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭MacXP_Irl

during my Crohns attack my resting pulse was over 120bpm, though it seems to have calmed down now. I think it was a combination of medications (antiinflamatories, steroids...) and the inflamation.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭MonkeyWrench

It might be worth getting a second opinion from a cardiologist. I had a very high pulse rate for a whole week non stop (200BPM) about 10 years ago. They never found out what it was but had come across similar cases before, they put it down to a certain virus which attacks the heart muscle. I have had smalled incidents of this since but nothing as serious as 10 years back. Just a thought.

• Advertisement

Have concluded that my high pulse and most of my physical ailments an outward expression of inward conflict...and there is plenty of that as some will know from my posts elsewhere

Think that if my heart is beating fast then perhaps it needs to...and shouldn't be stopped....certain emotions and anxieties are only magnified and exacerbated by attempting to stop them

Trying to let my emotions 'flow' take their natural course the past week.....and overall my pulse rate has fallen...as has general anxiety

Advertisement