Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on new laptop

• 09-08-2007 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hi,ive limited knowledge about computers so dont be harsh on me!

Thinking of buying 1 of those cheap Dell Vostro laptops for my dad,the cheapest 1 i think works out at roughly €500 including vat/delivery. Just couple quick questions:

A)He will only use this laptop for creating posters etc using some photoshop software he has,and surfing the net. He has loads of these posters on our desktop that he will transfer across. This software is about 3yrs old,so am i right in saying that it wont work with Vista,and therefore I should get windows XP instead?Is XP beter in hgeneral for him given the basic uses he wants from it?

B)The system has 1024mb of Ram,for an extra €130 you can get double the memory...given the above does he really need double the memory?He would like to keep the laptop fast etc for the guts of 2/3 years at least. He would be looking to store 50/60 posters etc,some photos,but nothing else really.

C) Printing - Our printer is about 2years old,he likes it because it saves ink,but he was suggesting about wireless printing(i.e.so he can print something from the kitchen and it will print off from the printer in the sitting room. I havent a clue about this at all,is it feasible/cheap?Is it just as handy to plau the laptop into the printer,or maybe use a USB key

Thanks in advance
    Will

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

A) If you can get it with XP then do so. I do love Vista but it is still a little buggy and sometimes can hog the resources. What software is he using? I have Photoshop CS2 on Vista and it works fine.

B) DO NOT buy more RAM from the Dell site as that is where they make their money from extortionate prices on extras. You can get another GB of RAM elsewhere for as little as €45 or so brand new. Install it yourself it is very easy!

C) I haven't a clue. I'll let someone else field that question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

willis wrote:
    C) Printing - Our printer is about 2years old,he likes it because it saves ink,but he was suggesting about wireless printing(i.e.so he can print something from the kitchen and it will print off from the printer in the sitting room. I havent a clue about this at all,is it feasible/cheap?Is it just as handy to plau the laptop into the printer,or maybe use a USB key

There are various ways you can do this, the most obvious is a wireless print server. It looks like a wireless router, but it has a couple of USB ports (usually). Example is here.

Advertisement