Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle Lanes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

I actually did'nt notice what bike it was, he had'nt a clue of the rules of the road anyway, he was one of these guys who was out to 'beat' traffic rather than travel safely alongside his fellow road users.

I actually like the idea of taking a bike on the road for a week but to be honest Id rather get my exercise in other ways jog etc. + I like driving my car its as much a hobby as a means of transportation. I would'nt feel safe on a bike especially now that I know the cycle lanes are not worth a damn!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I have to say fair play to you dumbyearbook, you seem to have accepted the arguments put forward very well and have now got an understanding of what we have to deal with.
    I just wish that there were more drivers were capable of undertaking such a learning process, it would certainly make life a lot safer for cyclists, which would make for a better road sharing for all concerned.
    K

kenmc wrote:
    I have to say fair play to you dumbyearbook, you seem to have accepted the arguments put forward very well and have now got an understanding of what we have to deal with.
    I just wish that there were more drivers were capable of undertaking such a learning process, it would certainly make life a lot safer for cyclists, which would make for a better road sharing for all concerned.
    K

Cheers Kevmc, I actually do appreciate what you guys go through now and wont get angry now when I see a bike on the road. (Ill still be worried they may fall off though I know this is way unlikey anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I agree with Kenmc. Dumbyearbook, you have put forward Q's to us cyclists and we've responded with our points of view and rather than being hot headed you've listened and understood what we're saying. This is a welcome change to how most of these sorts of threads can turn out (usually cyclist Vs motorists etc....) with people getting into a slagging match.
    As a cyclists I appreciate the time and effort you made to see things from the other side with an open mind.

My best advice if you are worried about a cyclist taking a fall in front of you would be to give tham that little bit extra space and time when near them on the road to give both parties a bit more room to manouvre.

Pete.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yes, fair play to you.
    I used to wonder the exact same thing a few years back (why people dont use them). Then I started cycling on them, I was on a mountain bike with suspension and still thought they were not "that bad". But at the time I was terribly unfit, took 60mins for my cycle- now I do it in 15-20mins.
    But once I had a puncture and had to take a loan of a road bike, even at my very slow pace it was just terrible to use the tracks. I then understood why no people on road bikes, going 3 times the speed, could use them.

Road bike: AKA racer
    Cycletrack bike: Full suspension mountain bike!

• Advertisement

Cheers Pete and Rubadub, fair play ye took a great stance for the cyclists!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Id rather get my exercise in other ways jog etc.
    Feel free to jog on the cycle paths, everyone else does and we don't use them anyway. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

clown bag wrote:
    Feel free to jog on the cycle paths, everyone else does and we don't use them anyway. ;)
    Too true. I've actually been told off by a jogger for "cycling in the jogging lane" on the path out to Sutton (he was under the impression that there was a single bike lane, then a jogging lane, and then the walker lane.)

I don't mind joggers on the cycle lane as long as they are jogging AGAINST the cycle traffic and get out of the way. Cycle lanes are easier to run on than concrete footpaths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

blorg wrote:
    Too true. I've actually been told off by a jogger for "cycling in the jogging lane" on the path out to Sutton (he was under the impression that there was a single bike lane, then a jogging lane, and then the walker lane.)

I don't mind joggers on the cycle lane as long as they are jogging AGAINST the cycle traffic and get out of the way. Cycle lanes are easier to run on than concrete footpaths.

I understand why skaters use the cyclepath between Clontarf and the Bull Island bridge section of the road to Sutton, but I don't see why joggers have an excuse. The footpath on that section is adjacent to the sea wall and separated from the cycle path by a wide grass strip. Yet joggers mostly use the cyclepath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

blorg wrote:

it's original, you gotta give him that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

blorg wrote:
    There's a grain of truth in this as there are non-statutory signs depicting joggers and cyclists and the slogan 'slí na sláinte'. There are also statutory cycle track signs, but few joggers understand their meaning.

I've frequently encountered pairs of joggers, usually young women, two-abreast on the cycle track, blocking both the outbound and the inbound lanes, totally ignoring any cyclists. The presence of no less than three footpaths should mean, by law, that the only time a jogger should be on a cycle track is when crossing.

I'd always thought that jogging on grass was preferred as it was less stressful on the joints than jogging on a hard surface, so maybe these joggers are just poseurs.

Advertisement