Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problems Pinnicle 11 & Vista

• 09-08-2007 3:25pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have installed the new Pinnicle 11.
    It won't allow me add any type of video files to the story line.
    Pictures that are added to the storline will not show in the preview window (just a big blue exclamation mark)
    Tranitions do show.
    Any one any Ideas.
    Machine specs.
    OS Vista Home Premium
    CPU Intel Core 2 quad @ 2.4 ghz
    Grafix NVIDEA geforce 8300 gs
    Ram 2 GB

Screen Resolution 1280x1024

What I have done so far
    Uninstalled & reinstalled
    Upgraded to latest version
    Tried rendering on seperated partition
    (this is as much as pinnicle support have suggested)

Any other suggestions would be appriciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well Pinnacle advertise Pinnacle Studio version 11 with full Windows Vista compatibility so it shouldn't be an issue but clearly they still have work to do.

I don't really have any specific ideas about what to do with the program more general suggestions that are worth a go;

Anyway try disabling UAC (control panel\user accounts\turn user account control on or off.

Install latest NVIDIA display driver

Install ffdshow tryout beta 3 as video decoder.

Install this fix and this fix for Vista.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Thanks for your reply 8T8. But i'm sorry to report no joy with any of those.
    BTW I also have Roxio Media Creator 9 installed & that works perfect so it must be a pinnicle prob

Try the run as admin option if you right click on the programs exe and select that

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I've tried that & also tried running in compatability mode for XP.
    I have attached a screenshot of what displays when pictures are in the storyline.
    If an image is dragged into the storyline it simply does no take it (no matter what format)
    Pinnicle support are useless. On my 5 th email now. They are simply going trough the motions of trying all the usual stuff....:mad:

Yeah I've heard Pinnacle are pretty bad with support best thing to do is to keep at them till they have exhausted their scripted solutions and if it they do not offer any more assistance then I'd demand a refund and use another package.

• Advertisement

I have every intention of. The software is dear enough.
    I am waiting till i get a mail from them admitting there is no solution & bring that to the shop.

This may have to do with the memoery of the Grafix card...
    How do I check what memory it has?

Go into your graphics cards control panel;

For NVIDIA start->control panel->NVIDIA control panel->Help->System Information and the amount of RAM present on the GPU will be listed.

For ATI right click any place on the desktop select ATI Catalyst Control Center->Advanced Mode->Information Center->Graphics Hardware.

Thanks ..

Pinnicles Solution to this problem............................
    Wait for it......................................................

Install Pinnicle on FRESH INSTALL of windows...

Yes, but is better after You install with the latest windows updates and drivers.
    Customer () 08/16/2007 08:59
    It was installed on a new PC...
    Are you suggesting that your product must be installed on a PC before any other software???

Response (Sergio Almeida) 08/16/2007 07:55
    Did You made a full clean windows installation?
    Install all the windows and drivers updates after install, then install Studio.
    We don't have any issue report about your situation.

How does this work if you have 2 produts that require this???
    Never seen this listed as a minimum requirment.

I have again asked for confirmation of this...
    I'll let ye know what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

This isn't really a viable solution for 99% of people but i guess they ask you to do this to ensure that there isn't a conflict with another program on the machine. That said surely there is a better way of finding whether there is a conflict!

It has been installed on a new machine with very little software installed befor it..
    here is the response I set to Pinnicle.

"I have tried reinstalling it 3 times. (As I have stated 3 times)
    I think it is totally unreasonable to ask customers to do a fresh install of windows to install your product.
    all other software running on my PC (including other video editing software Roxio) ) works fine. So it is reasonable to assume this is a problem with your product or drivers..
    I have been corrasponding with you for a week & I have not been offered any solution to this problem just basic questions over & over.
    I find this level of support for a product that cost almost €100 unacceptable
    I request that you pass this case to your supervisor or superior."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Don't feel bad. Adobe Premiere CS2 & CS3 both have a similar issue (they won't work in Vista) and they cost me much, much more than €100...

And are they advertised as Vista Compatible?

I am getting nowhere with pinnicle support with this. After a month of emails their only solution is to reinstall windows & install pinnicle without any other software. They rekon BOTH my HDDs are faulty even though its a brand new machine.
    Anyone have any ideas on this?

koolkid wrote:
    I am getting nowhere with pinnicle support with this. After a month of emails their only solution is to reinstall windows & install pinnicle without any other software. They rekon BOTH my HDDs are faulty even though its a brand new machine.
    Anyone have any ideas on this?

I'd say they are lying if so as your HD's can't be broken if you can install Windows on them.

As a bit of a wild card suggestion have you tried the 64-bit version of Vista if you do not have the disc you can get if from this link.

Also try taking out 1GB of RAM in the system and try the app again just to see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestions 8T8.
    A couple of questions first if you dont mind....
    Is there any special requirements for installing 64 bit version?
    Processor is quad Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

Can existing version be upgraded to 64 bit or is a fresh install needed.?
    I'll try the memory & let you know what happens..

All Core 2's are 64-bit so no need to worry about that.

Software wise only the retail version of Vista gets you the 64-bit DVD from that web link if you have the OEM you need to buy the 64-bit OEM but that is a gray area (some say you can get the 64-bit DVD free from OEM).

Technically are all the bits are the same if you know someone with a 64-bit DVD all you have to do is install it in trial mode dont enter a serial key and you can see if Pinnacle's app works..

Fresh install is needed for 64-bit.

Thanks.. Its nice to know its 64 bit capable anyway.
    Tried taking out half the memory. No Change just struggled a bit.

The bottom line with this is Pinnicle are refusing to give any support ( just blaming both of my HDDs)
    A bit of advice to anyone thinking of buying this product.
    Anyway I have roxio & ulead installed & they both work fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

This won't help much but I'm curious. Have you tried uninstalling your Roxio stuff and then running Pinnacle? I only ask because Roxio has often popped up as the culprit when I've run into trouble with PCs at work.

I have ofcourse...
    I installed pinnicle before those.
    If pinnicle had their way you should have nothing else on your machine LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

koolkid wrote:
    I have ofcourse...
    I installed pinnicle before those.
    If pinnicle had their way you should have nothing else on your machine LOL

Well then the solution is obvious! Why haven't you thought of it? You buy a dedicated machine for Pinnacle and use your other one for all other inferior software. :D

LOL how do these muppets get jobs in tech suppoort.
    They will NOT support thier product unless it is installed on a fresh install of windows ???????
    An easy decision for me in future on what products not to buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Get in contact again and tell them that you have done this and that the problem is still the same. Ask them what they intend to do about it and if nothing then demand your money back.

They will ask for system logs...
    I really have had enough of them...
    I would recommend they are best avoided.

Advertisement