Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Firefox/Vista Problem

• 09-08-2007 3:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

I got a new pc with Vista a few weeks ago and I am having a few problems with certain webpages and firefox. Basically when I go onto the my vodafone page on vodafone.ie the pc freezes/crashes.

Supposedly some script on the site is causing a memory leak in firefox. It's not happening in XP. Anyone know how to fix this?

It's a right pain expecially if I doing a few things and they are not saved.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Upgraded to the latest version of Firefox?

Failing that, are you running any add-ons (extentions) in Firefox? If so use the safe mode option in Firefox which is available in the Firefox folder on your programs list via the start menu.

If Firefox works in safemode then I'd suggest disabling all add-ons and enabling them one at a time till you find the issue.

If your not using firefox add-ons and your using latest version let us know :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭dubmick

Yeah I'm using the latest version. I have a few add ons running but not too many. Will try your advice and report back later.

Cheers Cabaal

it doesn't crash in safe mode but in does when I disable ALL the add ons. very strange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

One of your extensions (add-ons) is the culprit then, its tedious but disable each extension one by one and test in-between the webpage to see which is the problem.

Poorly made extensions are probably the cause of the memory leak.

but how come it crashes when I disable every extension?

I've actually insalled firebug and it has stopped crashing. No idea why.

• Advertisement

my vodafone page on firefox is crashing the pc again..pox

also sometime when I restart the pc it hangs on the first screen but when I cut the power and restart it is fine. Any ideas lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 guigsy

Hey there,

The answer quite simply is 'Bad coding' and the narrow minded attitude toward opensourced and better browsers. If I were you I would uninstall Java and install the latest with updates from www.sun.com and then update flash from www.adobe.com

I'm using Vista ultimate and its fine for me. Its prob your java though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

guigsy wrote:
    Hey there,

The answer quite simply is 'Bad coding' and the narrow minded attitude toward opensourced and better browsers. If I were you I would uninstall Java and install the latest with updates from www.sun.com and then update flash from www.adobe.com

I'm using Vista ultimate and its fine for me. Its prob your java though.

I'd definitely agree. I was having problems with pages that contained Java but only realised when i tried viewing them in Internet Explorer. The way I resolved the matter was to go into:

Start > Control Panel > Java > Advanced Tab

Look for the entry called Default Java for Browsers and make sure that the box for 'Mozilla Family' is checked. Click Apply and OK then restart Firefox and try that.

cheers for the help lads.

I ticked the mozilla family box soundman. I thought it had worked but I had the same problem last night when I went on paddypower.com.

It's a right pain in the hole!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

dubmick wrote:
    cheers for the help lads.

I ticked the mozilla family box soundman. I thought it had worked but I had the same problem last night when I went on paddypower.com.

It's a right pain in the hole!

Yeah. I just went back and noticed that myself. It did work initially. Went into Tools in the Firefox browser and then Options. Content > Advanced beside where it says Enable Javascript. Ticked all the boxes and that sorted. I'm going to experiment with it and see exactly what I don't need.

• Advertisement

I have them all ticked by default

Really thinking of going back to XP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 guigsy

Try this addon. It may cause more trouble than good but is worth a try. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722

Osh

cheers mate, I'll give it a try

Advertisement