Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on new Rig

• 09-08-2007 3:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

I hope Gline doesn't mind me posting this thread about his rig, but we've been in talks and i'm pretty much settled on buying it...

Here it is:

Intel QX6700@3.34ghz
    Tuniq tower cooled
    EVGA nForce 680i mobo
    Corsair 2 gig DDR2 XMS2 Dominator
    2x POV 8800gtx
    2x scsi320 147gig 15k rpm hdds raid0 + PCI-E SCSI RAID CARD
    320gig sata2
    Nec 5170 Dvdrw
    XFI Fatality Fps
    PC P+C 750 Silencer Quad
    24" Dell 2407WFP
    Creative 7900 7.1 system
    CM Stacker

A few quick questions:

It has dual boot XP & Vista32 as an OS, I was considering getting Vista 64 Ultimate and 4gig of geil black dragon ram http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...d=8&subcat=813 (as recommended to me by Anti)

I've been talking to Anti and he's been really helpful... I just wanted to get collective advice on changing the OS. Do you guys rate the 64bit Vista?

Also, I'm considering adding these Komplett HD's for added storage http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=338481

Any thoughts...?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I would change the hdd's for these http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=338938

As for vista i have had no real problems that i was unable to solve myself with a bit of common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Anti wrote:
    I would change the hdd's for these http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=338938

As for vista i have had no real problems that i was unable to solve myself with a bit of common sense.

Cheers Anti...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

just get another 2gb's of Corsair 2 gig DDR2 XMS2 Dominator

why get 4gbs of ****ter ram ?

you cant really do much to it as everything is perfect.

maby 2x500gb harddrives but only if you really need them or you could raid stripe them under raid 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

A few things about the Evga board you will need to update the bios to version 30
    for stability.

You will also need to strip down the board and use Arctic Silver Ceramique or you could burn out your memory.

TonyM. wrote:
    A few things about the Evga board you will need to update the bios to version 30
    for stability.

You will also need to strip down the board and use Arctic Silver Ceramique or you could burn out your memory.

I don't follow, why would I need a coolant? and why would the ram burn out?

Apologies, but I'm a little green when it comes to self builds...

• Advertisement

He means that the contact the heatpipes make to the board are poor. And you should remove them, clean them and add artic silver 5. This will ensure you have a better heat transfer. As for the ram burning out, im not quite sure what he means. I can guess that without doing the above the extra heat would lead in voltage spikes that could damage the ram.

And for the black dragon ram, it has been tested to be one of the best ddr 6400 kits out there. It clocks better then many others, and is stable at stock voltages up to ddr 9200 speeds with very tight timings. No it dosent have a heat spreader, but they arnt worth a ****e anyway, they are only there for cosmetic reasons.

Anti wrote:
    He means that the contact the heatpipes make to the board are poor. And you should remove them, clean them and add artic silver 5. This will ensure you have a better heat transfer. As for the ram burning out, im not quite sure what he means. I can guess that without doing the above the extra heat would lead in voltage spikes that could damage the ram.

And for the black dragon ram, it has been tested to be one of the best ddr 6400 kits out there. It clocks better then many others, and is stable at stock voltages up to ddr 9200 speeds with very tight timings. No it dosent have a heat spreader, but they arnt worth a ****e anyway, they are only there for cosmetic reasons.

Ah... still a little lost...

Are you saying there are areas of the motherboard (heatpipes?) that are lacking performance-wise? is it the slots for the ram?!??

I may get talk to Gline about this and possibly ask him to make these changes if he doesn't mind - I've never applied a coolant - and right now, I wouldn't know where to begin...!!!

I'd just like to cover all the bases before I collect - and any assistance would be appreciated.

Anti wrote:

why should he spend money on 4gbs when he allready has 2gb of really good ram ?

just get another 2gbs of the same ram.

Try finding another matched pair for it. Its not going to be easy, plus he could sell that xms2 and get the other stuff.

In terms of Broadband, The PC's new home (come Spetember) will be a converted attic. Part of that build will be a phone point installed. I've a 3meg BT line by the way...

I'll be holding onto my current PC - so I've 2 setup in the attic... my current connection is with a BT provided Zxyel modem 600 series - NOT wireless...

How would I connect both to the web at the same time?

Does the connection essentially SPLIT? ie transfer speeds are shared equally between both PC's?

Will another phone point installed still carry the same signal strength?

Would something like this suffice?
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=334846

• Advertisement

http://evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=78381&mpage=2

There are two small heatsinks on the board you need to remove them and apply ceramique not Arctic Silver on the mosfets or the memory controller can overheat and burn out the memory it only takes a few minutes.

PS you are buying the best mainboard to be got good luck with it.

here : http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=324986

make sure you ask gline tho if they are the same timmings.

TonyM. wrote:

http://evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=78381&mpage=2

There are two small heatsinks on the board you need to remove them and apply ceramique not Arctic Silver on the mosfets or the memory controller can overheat and burn out the memory it only takes a few minutes.

PS you are buying the best mainboard to be got good luck with it.

Thanks for the link Tony - interesting stuff.

One thing though, if the board is the best, why does it need this extra curricular care?! It is the case that it's problematic or just when it's 4 gig tunning?!

Chances are Gline has been using his for some time...

The board is the best because it is pushed to the limit and beyond by loonies with too much money (computer enthusiasts} and it can take anything they throw at it, giving it a little TLC with the TIM will help it run a few degrees cooler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

sticker wrote:
    In terms of Broadband, The PC's new home (come Spetember) will be a converted attic. Part of that build will be a phone point installed. I've a 3meg BT line by the way...

I'll be holding onto my current PC - so I've 2 setup in the attic... my current connection is with a BT provided Zxyel modem 600 series - NOT wireless...

You should really post this in the networking section. But if they are both going to be in the attic just connect them via a CAT5 cable through a network hub/switch. Personally i'd avoid wireless unless you absolutely need it, its more expensive and the speeds are a lot slower (although they'll be more than enough for just BB)

So what you do is connect you BB and your 2 computers to one of these then set the gateway on the 2 PCs to point at the routers IP to give them both internet access

EDIT: Also about the PC, seriously wait until you get your hands on it before you start thinking about ripping it apart. There really isn't anything wrong with it, it will be more than enough for anything you throw at it for at least the next 6 months. Replacing the HDD or adding more RAM really isn't worth the cost right now. Wait until you get it and run some test runs through some games or apps you usually use. If you think the machine is too noisy or too slow :rolleyes: then consider upgrading

L31mr0d wrote:
    You should really post this in the networking section. But if they are both going to be in the attic just connect them via a CAT5 cable through a network hub/switch. Personally i'd avoid wireless unless you absolutely need it, its more expensive and the speeds are a lot slower (although they'll be more than enough for just BB)

So what you do is connect you BB and your 2 computers to one of these then set the gateway on the 2 PCs to point at the routers IP to give them both internet access

EDIT: Also about the PC, seriously wait until you get your hands on it before you start thinking about ripping it apart. There really isn't anything wrong with it, it will be more than enough for anything you throw at it for at least the next 6 months. Replacing the HDD or adding more RAM really isn't worth the cost right now. Wait until you get it and run some test runs through some games or apps you usually use. If you think the machine is too noisy or too slow :rolleyes: then consider upgrading

Perhaps you're right to wait - although I'd prefer to have Gline make any necessary alterations before the transaction (if he doesn't mind of course!) seeing as I'm not that literate with hardware tinkering...

TonyM. wrote:
    The board is the best because it is pushed to the limit and beyond by loonies with too much money (computer enthusiasts} and it can take anything they throw at it, giving it a little TLC with the TIM will help it run a few degrees cooler.

Thanks Tony - I don't see myself overclocking the PC as yet - wouldn't it be OK as is? or do you feel the addition of the coolant would make a lot of difference (or even extend it's lifespan) - ??

Advertisement