Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Inherited a 98 1.8 Toyota Avensis

Options
  • 09-08-2007 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I just inherited this "beauty", it has 120,000 on the clock and is due it second timing belt change.
    It could also do with a service.
    Do I need to go to a Toyota main dealer for this?
    (bearing in mind that I am probably going to drive the car until it dies)
    Also, do you have any recommendations for a garage and a (ballpark) guide price?
    (southside dublin)

cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭iblis

GreeBo wrote:
    Hi all,

I just inherited this "beauty", it has 120,000 on the clock and is due it second timing belt change.
    It could also do with a service.
    Do I need to go to a Toyota main dealer for this?
    (bearing in mind that I am probably going to drive the car until it dies)
    Also, do you have any recommendations for a garage and a (ballpark) guide price?
    (southside dublin)

cheers!

My mother drives a 98 1.6 avensis and the timing belt change at a main dealer (wexford town) cost 350 euro, maybe 2 years back.

Definitely don't have to go to a main dealer. Generally it'll be more expensive, but the service history will add to the value of the car. But then you say you want to keep it til it dies, which will be along time with it being a Toyota :) If it's serviced well expect it to see double the mileage it has on it now without major issue.

Anyway, back to your question, if you can find a private garage with a good reputation they will likely do just as good a job for a lower price. But get a quote from a few dealers and compare before you decide. Even the price between Toyota dealers can vary a lot (relatively).

If you go with the private garage though, do still put a genuine belt on it. It's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

No point spending main dealer money on a 9 year old car. The work done will be just as good if not better from an indy garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

iblis wrote:
    My mother drives a 98 1.6 avensis and the timing belt change at a main dealer (wexford town) cost 350 euro, maybe 2 years back.

Definitely don't have to go to a main dealer. Generally it'll be more expensive, but the service history will add to the value of the car. But then you say you want to keep it til it dies, which will be along time with it being a Toyota :) If it's serviced well expect it to see double the mileage it has on it now without major issue.

Anyway, back to your question, if you can find a private garage with a good reputation they will likely do just as good a job for a lower price. But get a quote from a few dealers and compare before you decide. Even the price between Toyota dealers can vary a lot (relatively).

If you go with the private garage though, do still put a genuine belt on it. It's worth it.
    cheers
    do I get to decide what belt is put on? (do they offer me a cheapo one and a Toyota one?)
    Also, will they likely do this as part of a service or will I have to ask specifically? What else do I need to ask for?
    (I'm wary of sending it in for a "service" and it comes back with issues not addressed)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

From your usual mad posts I assumed you were more experienced than this!!!

But anyway, you can get a service done at an indy garage, or by your own mechanic. Spurious parts are easy to get for Toyotas, and are often made in Japan, which almost guarantees their reliability. Happy motoring!

(Oh and let me by when I want to go faster than you!!:o)

You would have to ask them specifically to change the timing belt as it is not part of a standard service, and is a lot more time consuming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭iblis

GreeBo wrote:
    cheers
    do I get to decide what belt is put on? (do they offer me a cheapo one and a Toyota one?)
    Also, will they likely do this as part of a service or will I have to ask specifically? What else do I need to ask for?
    (I'm wary of sending it in for a "service" and it comes back with issues not addressed)

I'm going by the advice of a relative (who is a mechanic) to use a genuine toyota belt. I was originally going to get a spurious one. He changed mine recently, I also drive a toyota as you may have guessed lol.

Generally if you don't ask it's up to the garage. If you want a Toyota belt, they might ask you to supply it, but you can order one over the phone from your local Toyota dealer (if it's not in stock) quoting your chassis number.

My belt was approx 60 euro from Toyota. Not an avensis, but presume the price does not vary wildly. Check that against a spurious belt, but if it's not a huge difference I'd go with the Toyota one, it's just a very important part that needs to be precise. Spurious aren't generally manufactured to fit one specific engine. Ordinarily I would not buy Toyota parts.

Stephen wrote:
    You would have to ask them specifically to change the timing belt as it is not part of a standard service, and is a lot more time consuming.
    but wouldnt they figure it out from the log book?
    Im just concerned that unless I specify every little thing they wont do it (oil, coolant, brake pads, etc)
    I had the same issues with a bike and it drove me mad.

I wouldn't bet the house on it! Lots of used cars in this country have no service book with them or it is incomplete etc, and depending how good your garage is they may not notice/care to warn you about the belt.

A regular service normally covers fluids, filters and pads (if necessary).

Also, a lot of people have the water pump and belt tensioner changed when they have the T-belt done because it is very little extra work for the mechanic once he has access to the belt.

cool thanks.

Now for the fun part, can you recommend a garage (southside dublin) or southern city centre?

maoleary wrote:
    From your usual mad posts I assumed you were more experienced than this!!!

But anyway, you can get a service done at an indy garage, or by your own mechanic. Spurious parts are easy to get for Toyotas, and are often made in Japan, which almost guarantees their reliability. Happy motoring!

(Oh and let me by when I want to go faster than you!!:o)

first car so its never been my responsibility.

( I will, unless I consider it unsafe to do so :p )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭pwee

Be warned. Make sure you trust your garage when getting the t belt done. i got it done backstreet for 150 on a carina e and the belt skipped a tooth, not nice:mad:

thanks pwee, I dont have a mechanic that I trust (I dont have one at all!) so Im looking for recommendations...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Congrats on getting the Avensis; one of my housemates has a '99 one, and it's very good.

Would you consider using a dealer for timing belt, then a normal garage for regular servicing? There mightn't be a huge difference in price for doing the t-belt is the €350 quoted above is accurate.

Fey! wrote:
    Congrats on getting the Avensis; one of my housemates has a '99 one, and it's very good.

Would you consider using a dealer for timing belt, then a normal garage for regular servicing? There mightn't be a huge difference in price for doing the t-belt is the €350 quoted above is accurate.
    I was half thinking that, but then Im probably gonna pay more, right?
    I mean there is a basic "your car is in our garage" cost

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Have you rang a main Toyota dealer for a price on the timing belt change?

I would start by doing that. At least they will stand by their work. I would not get the timing belt changed by just any backstreet garage to be honest, like any business there are too many cowboys and chancers out there and something as important as a timing belt needs to be done right. I would only go to an independant garage that has been recommended to me by someone I trust especially if you plan on keeping the car until it dies. Surely a friend or family member will know a good independant garage as not everyone uses main dealers.

Also a timing belt change is not part of a normal service so don't expect the garage to suggest it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

changing a timing belt is not rocket science, some water pumps are plastic toothed, yet quinten hazel are stainless, i could go on an on, this full service history crack is in my opinon taken 2 far,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Old boy; I'm not suggesting using the dealer for service history; I'm suggesting it for piece of mind that that particular job is done right.

Advertisement