Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Most liked car brand in Germany?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

unkel wrote:
    So you don't understand statistics either? ;)
    I'll ignore that.
    unkel wrote:
    Don't mistake me for a fanboy of BMW
    Someone who had a pic of the bottom half of a BMW badge in their sig, and then Souverän und zeitlos, das weißblaue Flaggschiff is a BMW fanboy!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

In fairness, while these JD Power type surveys & the like have to be taken with a pinch of salt, given all the various anomalies that exist - i.e. a Skoda/Toyota/Honda owner would have different expectations than a VAG/Mercedes owner. Although many of these would be to do with the quality of materials (fixtures & fittings) and customer service given the price premium; as everyone has a right to expect overall reliability and common courtesy. However what they do highlight is the "value for money" element offered by a particular motor manufacturer & the aftersales service (or not) of its dealers, Pro Quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

JHMEG wrote:
    Someone who had a pic of the bottom half of a BMW badge in their sig

I had a pic of part of my registration plate in my sig. The county name as Gaelige was a bit vague on my registration plate and that was why I failed the NCT. The reason it was in my sig was to give out about and ridicule the whole NCT test
    JHMEG wrote:
    and then Souverän und zeitlos, das weißblaue Flaggschiff is a BMW fanboy!:p

Respect for making the link :)

I did some research before I bought my current car. I did a lot more research after. I read many reviews from many sources in a few languages ;)

The title of the review I liked the most is in my current sig :)

Ah, maybe I should replace my sig. What do you suggest as a replacement?

"Germans prefer Honda, Toyota and Subaru"?

Germans generally don't like Jap cars. They generally prefer properly engineered cars like BMWs and Porsches. I can't disagree with that

^^ something funny happened there... that's not my post, and mine is gone!

But anyway, I was being facetious. I know Germans prefer to buy German cars, but the little dig about "prefer properly engineered cars"... well, I can't argue that Porsches aren't very well engineered (but over-rated).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

JHMEG wrote:
    The Germans don't seem to pay much heed either, or they wouldn't keep buying VWs by the boatload.
    Presumably like the French who tend to buy Renault/Peugeot/Citroen the Germans have a sense of national pride

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

"Most liked" is probably a bad title. The Germans do have a sense of national pride in their cars. I saw very few Japenese cars when i was over there and most people didn't know what mine was. There was a fair few people taking photos of me......but maybe that's because I'm so sexy....and delusional....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

In fairness Japan buy mostly Japanese cars too though this has changed in the last 10 years or so where buying a European or American car has become something of a novelty.

At the end of the day you are always going to get a certain level of self pride and loyalty from any country that manufacturers it's own cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

kbannon wrote:
    Presumably like the French who tend to buy Renault/Peugeot/Citroen the Germans have a sense of national pride

Havnt been to Italy but I assume its Fiat/Alfa/Ferrari?/Lamborghini? everywhere?

bazz26 wrote:
    At the end of the day you are always going to get a certain level of self pride and loyalty from any country that manufacturers it's own cars.

Must get on carzone and root out a shamrock.:)

Stekelly wrote:
    Must get on carzone and root out a shamrock.:)

Well Ford still have a strong loyalty base here especially around the Cork area where they were assembled many moons ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

bazz26 wrote:
    Well Ford still have a strong loyalty base here especially around the Cork area where they were assembled many moons ago.

Bit of a stretch though. Being assembled doesnt really count. Especially seeing as so many makes make their cars in various differen countries.

Maybe we could convince Ferrari to set up a factory here and we can claim them.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Donald Fagen

Stephen wrote:
    Dear Hertz, less crap cars plz.

They do have less crap cars - you had the option of a full fleet, and you obviously opted for the crappest/cheapest cars they had, so why are you complaining? I was in Munich last week, and I rented a C-class Merc from Hertz.

And while I was in Munich, I specifically noticed that most parked cars as I walked along were BMW's, then Mercs, VW, Audi and some European cars & Porches.

Stekelly wrote:
    Bit of a stretch though. Being assembled doesnt really count. Especially seeing as so many makes make their cars in various differen countries.

Maybe we could convince Ferrari to set up a factory here and we can claim them.:D

It worked for Jack Charlton. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Stekelly wrote:

It was the worldwide manufacturing base for tractors at one point and the only reason the plant was put in Cork was because of Uncle Henry himself.

There is a very strong affinity for Fords still IMO, especially in classic car circles.

kbannon wrote:

True.. they buy them cos they're French, not cos they're good.

JHMEG wrote:
    ^^ something funny happened there... that's not my post, and mine is gone!

Looks like I edited your post by mistake. Do you remember what you posted? If so, I'll happily change it back to what it was. Sorry for my mistake and sorry for my late reply :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Sovergin and timeless, the white-blue flagship. When did BMW use that slogan?(assuming they did) It was always 'The Ultimate Driving Machine', wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

acktchalley ...

...iiiiits ....

FREUDE AM FAHREN

:D:D:D

E92 wrote:
    Sovergin and timeless, the white-blue flagship. When did BMW use that slogan?(assuming they did)

No, it's not a BMW slogan. See my previous post. It was the title of a review of an E38, a 740d. Here's the article ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

TomMc wrote:
    Ever look at a stage of the Tour De France - 75% french cars and the rest mostly European

Since when?

Skoda, one of the main sponsors of Le Tour, provide the majority of the official support cars. The Tour Directors' cars are Audi. Most of the teams use Skoda Octavias, the the exception of T Mobile who use Audi, Quick-Step who use Pugs and a couple of others who I can't think of right now. Before Skoda, the vehicle sponsor was Fiat.

I'm seeing a lot more Skodas about the place in the last couple of years over in Germany (funnily enough I go to a town just outside Karlsruhe quite a bit too... mmmmm). I recall reading an article in the Irish Times Motors suppliment last year about how taxi drivers in Stuttgart were changing in their droves from Mercs to Skodas. I had a conversation with my friend about why he thought that Merc were taking such a battering and he told me it's because they let their standards slip in the late 90's and never recovered their reputation.

The jap car that appears to prevail over there is the Yaris from my observations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

I'm talking about Joe Public's cars parked at the side of the road.;)

unkel wrote:
    Looks like I edited your post by mistake. Do you remember what you posted? If so, I'll happily change it back to what it was. Sorry for my mistake and sorry for my late reply :o
    It was concrete, incontrovertible, straight from the top proof Toyota is going to buy BMW. I just can't lay my hands on the original info now...;)

JHMEG wrote:
    It was concrete, incontrovertible, straight from the top proof Toyota is going to buy BMW. I just can't lay my hands on the original info now...;)

LOL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

TomMc wrote:
    I'm talking about Joe Public's cars parked at the side of the road.;)
    Of course you were! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They do have less crap cars - you had the option of a full fleet, and you obviously opted for the crappest/cheapest cars they had, so why are you complaining? I was in Munich last week, and I rented a C-class Merc from Hertz..

No I didn't have that option - I was there on business and my employers book c-segment cars as standard. There's plenty of decent cars in that range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

maidhc wrote:
    When I think Honda I think overpriced Toyota.

When i think about TOYOTA I remember how boring they are, and why i sold one after only 6mths!

what_car wrote:
    When i think about TOYOTA I remember how boring they are, and why i sold one after only 6mths!

An Accord is hardly that much different though and I've owned both makes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Peasant wrote:
    FREUDE AM FAHREN

Which means Sheer Driving Pleasure I think. Well not quite, but thats the slogan BMW use on their International website in English.

The Ultimate Driving Machine literally means

'Die äußerste Fahrenmaschine' in German.(hope I got the grammar right:D )

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

what_car wrote:
    IMO Toyota have no style whatsoever. The Corolla the priest's car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Germans are entitled to drive reliable cars too. So it is not really surprising that Honda did better than their native brands.

Advertisement