Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Weekend 11 & 12th Aug Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

hahaha, the is a shocking own goal. fantastic save but what a shocking own goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

:/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Shocking is the formation we are playing 3 players up front might as well be at home, we need to go 4-4-2 or even 4-5-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

PHB wrote:
    Carew and Young are threats imo
    If performances are anything to go by, no, they're no threats at all.

4-4-2 with a back up for the right hand side.

We really need that right back. I'm shocked at the amount of through the center balls that are coming in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Setanta picture looks fine to me . . .

are on ntl or?

The formation is the problem not the players they aren't getting any useful balls.

Doodee wrote:
    We really need that right back. I'm shocked at the amount of through the center balls that are coming in!
    Gardner is doing alright at right-back. It's Bouma at left-back who I'd be more worried about.

It's all Liverpool at the moment, too much quality.

torres is sneaking in past gardner,

young was deathly fast to react to counters, our pace is our best advantage atm.
    REo-Cocker looking good so far.

Villa were beginning to come into the game a little at the end of the first half. Without a doubt, Barry is the main man for them so far.

• Advertisement

Young is not effective as a free role and Gabby is best when he is running at defenders not with his back to goal, the quality is there the organisation just isn't.

Stupid dive deserved a yellow, but that linesman needs to learn the bloody rules if came off a Liverpool player FFS how could Carew be offside!!! seriously!

Liverpool getting the better of things now.

Never a free kick, well done Riley you *!

Just a saw replay Gerrard is a bloody cheat he pulled Petrov's jersey,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

irish1 wrote:
    Just a saw replay Gerrard is a bloody cheat he pulled Petrov's jersey,
    no he's not. He's an English golden boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Gerrard throws his arms up and Riley gives the free, an absoulute thundering disgrace. Going to be a long long season for anyone outside the big 4.

Gerrard:"decisions will even themselves out over the season"!!!! In otherwords yea I cheated!!!

I don't mind loosing we probably didn't deserve anything from it but loosing it like that is just sickening, Barry dives and rightly gets yellow carded Gerrard cheats and gets a free kick, its time the ref's grew some balls and gave the teams outside the top 4 the same respect.

i hear they are changing the name to Gerrardpool.

Meh, tbh, we drew Vs Arsenal last season and it wasn't great, maybe a loss at the start is just what we need.

I thought Petrov was shocking, why didn't MON bring on maloney instead, I also take back what i said about Gardener after he gave it his all :(

Young looked very promising in the second half, made finnan look bad a few times.

Apart from the few decent cross to Carew from Barry, theres a serious problem to do with people in the box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Oh come on, he definitely played for it but he has put that ball past petrov and petrov has left his leg hanging out, blocking the player that was trying to make progress, blocking the player when he has put the ball past him is a foul, in the box it is a pen. If he is not smart enough to know that he cannot do that in the prem (TBF some of the stuff they get away with in Scotland is disgraceful somtimes) then maybe he should not be there.

Villa were never a real threat and even if as you jocularly suggest there is a change in the name to Gerrardpool, at least Pool have a player who can change a game ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Oh for the love of god ,listen to yourselves,ranting rubbish about gerrard cheating and sickening to see etc.
    Is this the grumpy old mens club or what? :rolleyes:

Gerrard was blocked by a trailing leg resulting in a free,we have seen similar frees millions of times.
    Your all calling him a cheater,i didnt see him dive or anything,did anyone else?
    The peno decision was more dodgy ffs.

As macca said the hard part was to score the free kick which he done,he was simply awesome out there today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Great win for Sunderland over a side that will likely finish in the top six. Just listened to John Giles and he said he thought Spurs played the better football? WTF? Spurs were muck. At least Sunderland went for the kill.

Keano has the golden touch. Move over Mourinho there's a new 'special one'. :cool:

Well Dcully I think if you listened to Gerrards interview he said it all really. Its ok we all have cheaters I mean look at Barry an awful dive and he rightly got a yellow card for it where as England golden boy gets a free I suppose we should be use to bad ref's at this stage.

As for the linesman giving Carew offside lol he needs to get a rule book off someone, as said in the pool thread Liverpool probably deserved the 3 points its just the way they got them that annoys me.

I will guarantee you that if ye got a pen that way ye would not be complaining and looking at it the same way as people who saw a player hang his leg out. Now again if Petrov was not smart enough to get his bloody leg back out of the way after missing the challenge by so much then he deserved the free given and TBH if Gerrard had not doen all of the hard work in sticking that cracking free kick I doubt any of ye would be complaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Liverpool totally dominated that game. Soft penalty to give away to give ourselves a scare. Stunning free-kick from Gerrard (he's looked great all preseason). Torres looked good, strong, fast. Kuyt looked sharp. Babel made a huge impact when he came on. Should have killed the game off earlier, but a deserved win overall.

As for the free kick - it was 100% a free kick. Trailing leg, blocked Gerrard. Sour grapes from those accusing Gerrard of cheating.

• Advertisement

I will guarantee you that if ye got a pen that way ye would not be complaining and looking at it the same way as people who saw a player hang his leg out. Now again if Petrov was not smart enough to get his bloody leg back out of the way after missing the challenge by so much then he deserved the free given and TBH if Gerrard had not doen all of the hard work in sticking that cracking free kick I doubt any of ye would be complaining.

LOL hang out his leg, since when was that a free, Gerrard was pulling Petrov's shirt to make it look like he was falling over him. Look I said the Pool deserved the 3 points it just Riley helped them make sure they got what they deserved, if Villa had won the game in a simalar fashion I'm sure many Pool fans would say the same and I'm sure the Villa player would say the same as Gerrard did.

He cheated and got away it I'm sure Villa players will do the same throughout the season its whether the ref will fall for it or not is the question. I don't see anyone saying the linesman was right to give Carew offside which is something I suppose.

irish1 wrote:
    LOL hang out his leg, since when was that a free, Gerrard was pulling Petrov's shirt to make it look like he was falling over him. Look I said the Pool deserved the 3 points it just Riley helped them make sure they got what they deserved, if Villa had won the game in a simalar fashion I'm sure many Pool fans would say the same and I'm sure the Villa player would say the same as Gerrard did.

He cheated and got away it I'm sure Villa players will do the same throughout the season its whether the ref will fall for it or not is the question. I don't see anyone saying the linesman was right to give Carew offside which is something I suppose.
    Was definitely a soft free and Gerrard played for it but it wasn't cheating, his progress was impeded by the leg of the player he had just slipped the ball past who either made a conscious effort to block him or was just not good enough to get his leg out of the way. Either way having already beaten the man Gerrard took full advantage of the situation that presented itself and called on the ref to give Gerrard the free that he duly deserved for getting the better of an inferior player and then being blocked by that player when he saw that he was beaten.

I am not disputing the fact that you said Liverpool deserved the three what I am taking issue with is you saying that Gerrard has cheated in this situation (I know he has done so before but on this occasion it was just clever play). And again do you really think you would be doing all of the whinging you are if he had not scored it ? He scored a brilliant goal and deserves the plaudits for same.

I have yet to see any Villa fans complaining about the soft pen that Villa got, Carragher was on the spin and the ball hit his arm, was no intent really but there was a soft pen given, and yet in all of the furore about Gerrard being good enough to stick a ball into such a tough spot to save this seems to have been missed.

Oh well three points in in a reasonably tough fixture, some decent performances and some positives to be taken. I'll have that anyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

fullstop wrote:
    Petrov won the ball, plain and simple.

Oh dear god.

http://www.letusteachkids.com/images/misc/Stuff/glasses.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Saw the Gerrard incident and wouldn't say he cheated, more fortunate that he got it. Then again Mike Reilly was the official. Nice free kick though.
    fullstop wrote:
    BTW, ever heard of capital letters?

The words of a losing arguement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

and TBH if Gerrard had not doen all of the hard work in sticking that cracking free kick I doubt any of ye would be complaining.

To be honest I probably would be. It's not the first time Gerrard has dug his team out of an opening-day hole with his work-rate and diving combined. I reckon he's just about the most prolific diver in the Premiership over the past year (enough to allow conveniently allow for Drogba's sudden "growing-up", I admit).

• Advertisement

I don't know where the idea that Gerrard dived came from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I don't know where the idea that Gerrard dived came from

The technical term is "won" a free kick, dont see anything wrong it with meself.

If i was a pool fan would be more worried about Gerrard humping it forward to Torres than his winning of free kicks.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

McShane the best player on the pitch in his premiership debut? There's something about him. At 21 he's already top class when it comes to marking a big striker. I'd be worried about him against someone like Bellamy though. That said, Bellamy destroyed Vidic last season and it didn't do his reputation much harm.

McShane and Dunne really complement each other very well too. What a partnership we have at the back for the first time in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

eirebhoy wrote:
    McShane and Dunne really complement each other very well too. What a partnership we have at the back for the first time in a long time.

McShane played on the left of central defence as well, and Dunne was on the right for City. In preseason Dunne played one game on the left, and was marked as being weaker there. Today Richards played on the left for City & Chris Kamara on Sky pointed out several times how well they complimented each other in that formation. Not quite unbelievable though.
    Obviously this makes things easier at international level, if they were both playing on the right of central defence for their club sides, then who would play on the left for Ireland?

The only negative I had for McShane's performance was he seemed to be slow getting back to his own half from corners. It's fairly obvious he's the far post target man from corners, but I think he hasn't realised when the best time to get back into position is yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

City were quality and a fully deserved win. Dunne and Richards at centre half looks like a solid partnership. Onouha's run for the second goal wasn't given the credit it should have been. If Ronaldo or the like had an assist like that every pundit would be drooling over it.

Petrov looked dangerous every time he got the ball and Elano should flashes of brilliance. Stevie Ireland was solid if unspectacular.

Special mantion to Kasper Schmeichel for keeping a clean sheet on his debut. Like father like son.

Chant of the day from City fans:

"You're too good to wear the shirt,
    You're too good to wear the shirt."

I don't know about the Gerrard thing, like he does that sort of thing all the time. Remember the peno he won last season for running into your man during the corner.

Sure it was a foul, no doubt about it, but Gerrard was also looking for it. If Gerrard was on my team I'd want him to do the same, just like most of the Villa fans when it comes down to it.

What a ****ing free kick though, the ball was moving all over the gaff but still ended up in the top corner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

So happy for Chopra. His first senior goal for Newcastle was against Sunderland at the Stadium of Light and I'll never forget his celebrations :D I actually meant to post here yesterday predicting him to get the winner, but never got around to it. Spurs were terrible though. They really need to lose that southern softies touch. Delighted to see West Ham lose at home. A club I've really grown to hate. Watched the match live and Man City were excellent. I expect Petrov to light up the EPL this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

The only reason I can think that Keane didn't start Chopra is because he was being realistic and wanted to save him for a game where he thought Chopra would have a real impact, against Birmingham on Tuesday night. If Sunderland win that, it'll be a fantastic start.

I think they need to improve their team further but I think they have enough to stay up, mainly because there are three worse teams in the league than them at least. I'd put Derby, Wigan, Brum, Fulham (unless Sanchez can turn things around but long ball football doesn't tend to work at PL level) and perhaps even Bolton (now that Sam is gone I think they'll be poor) below Sunderland TBH.

It was a game yesterday that no-one expected them to get anything from and I think Keane would have taken the draw at the start which is why he rested Connolly and Chopra, who I think will start on Tuesday.

And what about the performance from the team with the best striking force in the PL? I'm talking about Blackburn of course :)

The team's old achilles heel of poor defending let them down for the Boro goal but its great to see that when our star striker has to go off, we have two players who can come off the bench to make an impact.

Derbyshire's finish was sublime and he'd only been on the pitch 23 seconds or so. I'm expecting big things this season from this lad. I also gave Santa Cruz a bit of flak saying he was needed but fair play to him yesterday. Hopefully its a sign of things to come. And where did the two assists come from: Bentley and Pedersen of course.

Hopefully Benni's injury won't be too serious. It was thought he had swallowed his tongue but he has been sent for tests.

Now if Hughes can just shore up that defence Rovers will be motoring!

eirebhoy wrote:
    McShane the best player on the pitch in his premiership debut? There's something about him. At 21 he's already top class when it comes to marking a big striker. I'd be worried about him against someone like Bellamy though. That said, Bellamy destroyed Vidic last season and it didn't do his reputation much harm.

I hear he's pretty hot out wide too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxBvhokHHx8

:D

Seriously though, he's a fine player, I haevn't seen such commitment and work rate from a player in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Arsenal 0-1 Fulham, 12:00

Mike.

Nice to see Steve Bruce back. Always liked him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Am I seeing this right?

Chelsea involved in an open game...

Just seen Lehmann's Howler OMG what a bad bad mistake to make, shocking.

Ha finally, it's a peno. Well deserved for Arsenal. Van Persie better take it :)

Ohh that looked outside the box to me!!! Good penalty by RVP but should have been a free I think.

Brum 1 nil up Chelsea loosing!!

• Advertisement

Woohoo :)

Playing a 4-4-2 with Lampard as one of the central midfielder is dodgy enough in defence, but without Terry it's suicide :)

Advertisement