Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Weekend 11 & 12th Aug Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

good point for Reading.

United just didn't look threatening - easpecially once Rooney went off.

We need Tevez match fit fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

even with reading down to 10 men and the ref making some questionable decisons to say the least in favour of united,they could not put away a poor reading team today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Tauren wrote:
    good point for Reading.

United just didn't look threatening - easpecially once Rooney went off.

We need Tevez match fit fast.
    More importantly we need an out an out striker ,a target man of sort.
    Tevez and Rooney are both deep players.
    Unless United get a top striker they will struggle this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Great defensive performance from Reading, no doubt about that. I don't see how anyone could say Reading were poor. I thought they were exceptional. They barely put a foot wrong the whole game.

I think it is a straight red, imo, he went for Evra, his studs were showing, he was nowhere near the ball, he connected. He went into that tackle to do Evra, and deserved to go off.

Once Rooney went off we just couldn't score. If you're up against 11 men behind the ball and you have no strikers on, you'll be lucky to get anywhere. The game did show our lack of depth in the striking department, with really only 3 strikers (yes Saha is still at the club, meant to be back training within the week) and three of them injured.

I think Nani showed tonight why he isn't going to play a huge role this season, although I still think Anderson may.

Disappointing start but what can ya do. We gotta see what the story is with Rooney now, cause if he's injured, we're in a spot of bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

even with reading down to 10 men and the ref making some questionable decisons to say the least in favour of united,they could not put away a poor reading team today.
    Reading were excellent today. They came to defend - and they did it brilliantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

LOL I wonder sometimes do people here play football, that tackle is seen every week, its a yellow card for a late tackle with studs showing never a red, honestly I bet you will see that tackle every week and it will be a yellow card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

irish1 wrote:
    One foot to block the ball which was there, Tauren if thats a red you will see 10 of them every weekend.

it was a red because it was at old trafford, if that was in reading no red
    rob styles isnt the best ref in the world either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Chelsea for the title then? ;)

Mike.

Nah the Pool of course mike. Oh wait Rafa will change the winning team and ..... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Disappointing, but it's still only the first game. With Liverpool playing Chelsea next weekend, one of them has to lose points so neither is gonna start running away with it straight away.

Just praying that Rooney's injury isn't serious. Was it the same foot?

they said rooney cant put weight on it
    doesnt sound too good to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

irish1 wrote:
    LOL I wonder sometimes do people here play football, that tackle is seen every week, its a yellow card for a late tackle with studs showing never a red, honestly I bet you will see that tackle every week and it will be a yellow card.

agree with you in that tackle usually gets away with a yellow. however i do think referee's should get tough on those studs showing tackles and show more straight reds for them, as it should be by the book i believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

And some people where wondering why I expressed surprise at the departure of Smith.....A totally lame performane by Manu. Ronaldo was terribly poor, as was Giggs, and probably does not deserve his place at this stage of his career.

Reading did what they had setup themselves to do, and frustrated United inside the box. Still, Manu had enough chances to win the game, but just could not, even when Reading did go down to 10 men. A different Ref would have given a yellow card in that instance, no question about it.

Nani was, at times, laughable, and his play was poor at best. Johno had probably the best chance of the game, but showed why his best position is not centre forward. Carrick wasted a lot of ball, and really once Rooney went off, united had zero idea's.

Poor start for them against a Reading team that were not great. They can only improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Hehnaman is gonna get some insane points total in fantasy football this week!!

10 points. Clean Sheet + 8 saves +2 Bonus.
    I thought he'd get the 3 bonus points, but that went to Duberry who was solid. Utd players got no bonus points and deservedly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Hobart wrote:
    Nani was, at times, laughable, and his play was poor at best.
    Slightly harsh I think. He's obviously not ready to be in the first team, but I wouldn't call his contribution laughable. A few inches the right side of the post and we'd be praising an unbelievable goal.

I agree that Smith would've been a terrific option today, wouldn't have had to play O' Shea up front, but with Saha and Solskjaer to come back with Tevez to come in, United's options won't always be that bare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

not a terrible display by united by any means. Another day one of those chances might have gone in. The fact that Rooney was the only recognised forward in the squad is a little worrying though....

Hairline Fracture probably a couple of weeks out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Poor performance from United. The players just seemed too casual and didn't seem to really want to go for it. It was like they were thinking: ah sure it's grand, we're all over them and have loads of time left. We'll get a goal sooner or later. The United squad has been heavily affected by injuries but hopefully Hargreaves and Tevez will be ready to play soon.

This is very worrying though.

Portsmouth midweek is going to be another tough test. We always have trouble at Fratton Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

irish1 wrote:
    He was above ball height and his studs were showing. It's a potential leg-breaking tackle. That's why it's a red. If he was ball height it's a yellow. End of

• Advertisement

He was above ball height and his studs were showing. It's a potential leg-breaking tackle. That's why it's a red. If he was ball height it's a yellow. End of
    Yea yea and we see them every day of the week and they get yellow cards. But don't let what happens every week get in the way of your point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Every tackle has the potential to break a leg. A totally legal tackle break a leg.

That was never a red card, shocking decision by a shocking referee. Nearly ruined the game for Reading

irish1 wrote:
    Yea yea and we see them every day of the week and they get yellow cards. But don't let what happens every week get in the way of your point.
    You don't see an above-ball-height tackle like that every month let alone every day or weekend

You don't see an above-ball-height tackle like that every month let alone every day or weekend
    Oh I do but then again I actually play the game and watch more than the top 4 in action.

You see tackles like the one Kitson made at least every month, that go without a red card.

Even according to Lee Dixon, they happen week in week out and are not deserving of a red card. I'm sure he'd probably have a better idea than you?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

How can anyone dispute that that wasn't a red card? He was showing studs, leg was high and nowhere near the ball.

irish1 wrote:
    Oh I do but then again I actually play the game and watch more than the top 4 in action.
    Which you know isn't the case for me? I'd appreciate it if you'd stop being condescending. We can chat away, but there's no need for it

Which you know isn't the case for me? I'd appreciate it if you'd stop being condescending. We can chat away, but there's no need for it
    Well you told me what I don't see?

Look its about opinion, I just happen to think that people who think that was a red card don't actually play the game or really watch it every week because if they did they would know how often it happens. If you believe think otherwise fair enough but I think you need to watch a bit more football.

irish1 wrote:
    Well you told me what I don't see?

Look its about opinion, I just happen to think that people who think that was a red card don't actually play the game or really watch it every week because if they did they would know how often it happens. If you believe think otherwise fair enough but I think you need to watch a bit more football.
    I watch plenty and not just the top four. And not just the English league. Bad tackles happen all the time. Studs showing and high foot where they catch the player are deserving of a yellow. The reason I think that one deserved a red is because it was high up the leg and above ball height. Had he made contact with Evra's foot then I'd be saying yellow

If you look at it again it wasn't that high up at all.

• Advertisement

It's all about intent for me. I think he was going for Evra. If thats the case, it was a straight red. If he was going for the ball, it was just an extremely mis-timed tackle which was dangerous. You could easily get either a yellow or a red.

He was in no way going in to 'do' Evra. Totally accidental, he wasn't that far from getting the ball, and Mr Anderson, the way you're going on about how 'high' it was makes it sound like a Keane/Essien type tackle-Which it was nothing like. Didn't think it was high at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

It was a kind of in-between tackle. I think 90% of the time it would get a yellow.

He was in no way going in to 'do' Evra. Totally accidental, he wasn't that far from getting the ball, and Mr Anderson, the way you're going on about how 'high' it was makes it sound like a Keane/Essien type tackle-Which it was nothing like. Didn't think it was high at all.
    He didn't do a keane/Haaland tackle but he caught him just below the knee. That's a very dangerous challenge to me and deserves a red. I don't think he intended to do him but the tackle was bad either way. Think we'll just agree to disagree

I'd prefer to just agree that you're wrong ;)

I think the only reason for the straight red was because the ref thought it was intentional. I don't think he was necessary concerned about the height or the studs showing.

The ref was quite a bit away if i remember correctly.

Styles is an awful ref who loves the limelight.

It was a straight red because it was Reading against Man Utd at Old Trafford and Utd were being held to a draw

(imo anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It was a straight red because it was Reading against Man Utd at Old Trafford and Utd were being held to a draw

(imo anyway)

*ahem*

From the ManYoo thread
    Good work lads. Ya don't sound like paranoid nuts or anything! ;)

Pot-->Kettle tbh

My Christ millersangel, stop embarrassing yourself.

Seansouth,

There is a massive difference between Utd fans saying the PL was delaying the transfer of Tevez because they were busy trying to help Liverpool sign Heinze (which was said on the Utd thread, hence my paranoid comment)
    and me saying here that the reason it was a red card was because Utd were at home and got a massive decision in their favour?!

heaven forbid, not like its ever happened before. Happens all the big teams, home crowd and all that.

You on a mission to get me cause i don't like the Eircom League? :)

• Advertisement

So, who tells the refs to make the decisions in favour of the TOP4 side then?

The FA? The Premierleague? The Refs Society?

Do you not think if a ref was shown to favour certain teams ahead of others that he'd be demoted?

Or is it a conspiracy between two or three of the bodies I mentioned above?

Is it in anyone's interest other than the teams themselves to keep the TOP4 as a status quo, because, you know, if another team broke into the TOP4 they'd be hyped just as much as the current TOP4 teams are.

Or is it some kind of conspiracy to keep the 'smallerteams' down? If so, how do you explain Readings position last season?

Come on man, if you're going to make silly assertions like this, you need to back them up.

What do you really think here?

And no, I'm not out to get anyone:)

I'm not claiming there is a conspiracy at all.

Simply claiming that in an enviroment like Old Trafford, St James Park, Anfield etc etc a decision such as Kitsons sending off on Sunday will happen whereby normally it wouldn't. Refs will always be influenced by crowds. Its not fair, but thats the way it is.

I'm not claiming there is a conspiracy at all.

Simply claiming that in an enviroment like Old Trafford, St James Park, Anfield etc etc a decision such as Kitsons sending off on Sunday will happen whereby normally it wouldn't. Refs will always be influenced by crowds. Its not fair, but thats the way it is.
    Games in Old Trafford involving ManYoo, St James' involving Newcastle, Anfield involving Liverpool etc etc are a fairly 'Normal' part of Premiership life, I would have thought.

What is 'normal', in your opinion? Fulham vs Birmingham at Craven Cottage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Give it a rest FFS. This feud is becoming tedious. Agree to disagree, build a bridge......yada yada yada...

Its fairly obvious wat i'm saying is that home teams will always get an advantage that they wouldn't get in normal circumstances, ie. in a neutral venue.

This advantage is increased IMO when the likes of Utd and Liverpool are involved because these clubs have intimidating grounds and such a stigma attached to them (United success since the premiership started, Liverpool being the most successful club in English club history).

I could go futher and say that i feel the advantage United recieve sometimes can go way above anything recieved by any other clubs, but that'd be controversial as hell ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I don't believe there's a conspiracy in favour of the top 4.

But I do believe the more you attack, the luckier you get. Generally, but not always.

Colin Doyle was terrible for two of Chelsea's goals - but if Chelsea hadnt been hitting the target it wouldnt hve mattered.

Liverpool got a jammy free-kick, still took a marvellous shot by Gerrard to take advantage.

Arsenal had 4 or 5 penalty appeals before getting one. If Fulham had been attacking that much, been in the box that often, they probably would have got the luck.

Reading had a guy sent off for feck all, and were wrongly penalised in the last second for a free kick - but they were under severe pressure and getting and looking desperate. But United, for once, were the only one team who couldnt take advantage of their luck.

However, I do believe ManU get more luck than any other team because of their association with the dark side, and I fear for anybody who often wears a representation of the devil close to their heart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Why wasn't Campo playing for Bolton at the weekend? Is he injured or something?

However, I do believe ManU get more luck than any other team because of their association with the dark side, and I fear for anybody who often wears a representation of the devil close to their heart.

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

PHB wrote:
    lol
    You have been warned.

Abandon your team or abandon all hope of a happy after-life or abandon religious belief.

The choice is yours :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

The ref was quite a bit away if i remember correctly.

Styles is an awful ref who loves the limelight.

(imo anyway)
    I'm someone who doesn't really like United and was quite happy to see them drop points. That was a sending off though. It was the sort of lunge that could have put a player out for quite a while.

Just call it a difference of opinions, but all ex pros i've seen commenting on it (with the exception of the soft foreigner Gullit :)) said it was never a red card that it happens week in week out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement