Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling a UK Import

Options
  • 09-08-2007 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

A few peeps in work were having a discussion recently regarding importing and selling vehicles bought in from the UK. I was wondering from a legal perspective, does the car have to be owned for 6 months before you can sell it on? or does the car have to be VRT'd before its sold on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

If you owned the car for six months in the UK and you brought it in without paying VRT (Owner exemption) then you must keep the car for 12 months before you can sell it on.

If you have brought the car into Ireland and paid the VRT you can do what you like with the car. The government have got their money (don't get me started on that!!:mad: ) so the car is yours to do as you please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

If you own the car in the UK for 6 months and bring it into ireland you still have to pay the VRT. You have to live and drive the car over there for 1 year. Its recently changed afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

If you own the car in the UK for 6 months and bring it into ireland you still have to pay the VRT. You have to live and drive the car over there for 1 year. Its recently changed afaik

The FCUKERS!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 25 SDK

I know man, BREAKING EU LAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭pa daly

how many cars are you allowed to import a year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

pa daly wrote:
    how many cars are you allowed to import a year
    As many as you like :D Just be sure to keep receipts for when the taxman comes calling :)

I will rephrase the question just for you.

Does anyone know how many cars you are allowed to import before you are liable to pay income tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

These days everytime you pay VRT on an import the VRO now request your PPSI number, so they pass details onto the PAYE department. I don't think there is any definitive number of cars you can import and sell on before you are liable tax but you can bet if you are VRTing imports quite regularly then you are more than likely on the taxman's radar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭ctc_celtic

you should be paying vat on any sale, if the tax people think the car is being sold purely for profit and not personal use at all. its still worked out on your taxable income and unless your earning less than your taxable income, you would be expected to pay tax on earnings from car sales.
    but i doubt they would make any inquires if your only buying a couple of cars a year.

i think alot people are advertising the cars as Price includes VRT, then the seller VRT's it in the buyers name once the sale has gone through.
    seen it quite a bit in Donegal, but i wouldn't sell or buy a car like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭kyote00

another recent change (to clamp down) is that you now give your PPS number when registering an import....

I guess they can now find out all cars that an given person has brought in....

AFAIK, there no limit on what you can bring in once the VRT is paid....

My experience in buying a UK reg car that had been here for a year was that the revenue guys were pissed and wanted to know where I got it....

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies lads. I thought there was a set number of cars you could import a year, thanks for the clarification.

Advertisement