Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any telephone engineers around?

Options
  • 09-08-2007 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

have been trying to get eircom to resite my dsl access point from a back room to the hall. i've had no joy and they tell me to do it myself as it's easy. so i open the white box and see a load of wires:confused::confused::confused:
    On looking closer it looks like the only wires connecting to the dsl acces point are orange. So i go look into the telephone point in the hall and see that the orange wires are connected here also but the dsl will not work from that point. has anyone any idea what i should do? is this even the right forum to be asking in?

thanks

tin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Eircom are talking some crap there. They do that sort of work as outlined in their USO telecommunications provision seen here: http://www.eircom.ie/About/Activities/sn1_pt1.pdf

The problem is that it would cost at least over €100. Your best bet would be to get some sort of sparks to get it working.

I'm wondering why the socket won't work with the orange/white wires connected. Assuming the phone connected to the hall socket works, make sure there's no filter in place. Just connect the modem directly into the socket with no extensions, filters or splitters.

Try unplugging any device connected to the line (digiboxes have caused issues at times)

Do you have eircom phonewatch, and more importantly, was there any special socket fitted somewhere in the house? Do you know which socket is the master socket?

Finally, is that socket in the back room an extra socket or the master socket for the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I take it you want to relocate your wireless router? To do so, install a new socket in the new location.

The two coloured wires connected to the main socket should either be [a] red and green or a mainly blue and white wire as well as a mainly white and blue wire. Different colours can be used no problem but it wouldn't be standard.

Do you have the newer eircom phone socket -- white with the eircom symbol and a removeable part on the bottom? This makes putting in an extension even easier.

You could also leave the wireless router where it is and use something like this to connect your PC and router using a wired connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

hi,

thanks for your reply,

the socket in the backroom is the master socket. tbh the eircom man told me that it would be the only connectable point when he installed it.

ethernet wrote:
    I take it you want to relocate your wireless router? To do so, install a new socket in the new location.

The two coloured wires connected to the main socket should either be [a] red and green or a mainly blue and white wire as well as a mainly white and blue wire. Different colours can be used no problem but it wouldn't be standard.

Do you have the newer eircom phone socket -- white with the eircom symbol and a removeable part on the bottom? This makes putting in an extension even easier.

You could also leave the wireless router where it is and use something like this to connect your PC and router using a wired connection.

thats what i'd like to do. The new eircom splitter box is connected to the master socket i can see the orange wires and the blue white. do i just connect them to my excisting point in my hall? what do i do with the wires once i have disconnected them in the master box?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

What do you mean by "splitter box?. Normally your line will come in on the blue's, both blues, this should be going into your master socket. If your house is newish, there should be more wires in behind the master socket going to each of the different points in the house. Screw it out from the wall and connect up all the blues to the blues already connected to the socket. Keep dark blue to dark blue and stripped blue to stripped blue.

Is it the orange or blue wires connected into your master socket?

• Advertisement

If there are no wires in behind the master socket check the ETU box outside. It is the plastic box nearest your ESB box.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

What do you mean by "splitter box?.
    I think he means the new type master sockets that Eircom install when the DSL is installed by an Eircom engineer and has the filter built in. It's normally done for an amber install that requires an engineer visit.
    It has 2 connection points on the faceplate. The BB modem plugs into 1 (unfiltered) and the phone plugs into the other (filtered). All the extensions around the house are then wired into the filtered side of the socket so you don't need to use the external filters that come with the modem.

thanks kaizersoze,

that's what i have. It is connected to my master socket in the back room by the orange wires and light blue/white blue wires. My other telephone socket in the hall is connected by orange wires only and has two sets of blue wires as described above unconnected to anything. i need to know if i disconnect the blue wires in the back room do i just leave them or do i need to connect them together or something.

tinner777 wrote:
    thanks kaizersoze,

that's what i have. It is connected to my master socket in the back room by the orange wires and light blue/white blue wires. My other telephone socket in the hall is connected by orange wires only and has two sets of blue wires as described above unconnected to anything. i need to know if i disconnect the blue wires in the back room do i just leave them or do i need to connect them together or something.

Obviously your electrician had no idea about color coded standards when wiring the telco socket. The orange wires will do just fine, just connect them up to the blue ones in the back of your Eircom socket and you will be flying it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Do you have eircom phonewatch, and more importantly, was there any special socket fitted somewhere in the house? Do you know which socket is the master socket?

That splitter box is the special socket i was talking about (I think). The hall socket should work if it's connected to the wires that aren't going through the filter in that "splitter box". Did you get the broadband working on the hall socket in the end?

It sounds like eircom were the ones who did the wiring work, but it seems very peculiar.

• Advertisement
Advertisement