Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which Windows?

• 09-08-2007 5:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, so i'm gonna be buying a new Dell Vostro laptop tomorrow, buying it through work so by default it would be set up for Vista Business, but I can change that to Home Premium (but not Ultimate, some technical reason)

My question is, which do I choose? The laptop is for college, i do software development, so i'll be programming and stuff... I'll also use it for fun stuff too, a small bit of gaming, music, videos stuff like that...

I had planned on going with Ultimate (for the sake of it) but alas, I cannot, unless I switch to a 15" version (Vostro 1500, I'm buying a 17" Vostro 1700)

So which suits better? Is it worth it to try and get Ultimate? Would the business version have any goodies that Home Premium doesn't have? Or vice-versa? Does the Home Premium version come with anything that Business doesn't have??

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Here is a basic comparison from Microsoft. I'd say go for either Home Premium or Ultimate. No Media Centre in Business although this might not bother you if you use other media software, like iTunes for your music.

Anything above Home Basic is fine in all honesty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Here is a table outlining core features of each version. I'd probably go for Home Premium if there is nothing in the business column that takes your fancy and you get Windows media centre in Home Premium which is nice for music, videos, DVD's etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

it probably won't apply to you, but the Business version has downgrade rights to allow you to install XP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

it probably won't apply to you, but the Business version has downgrade rights to allow you to install XP.

XP Pro only though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Soundman wrote:
    XP Pro only though.
    That's a hell of a lot better than home edition!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ya I was looking at my buddy's laptop last night (he has Home Premium) and had a look around for stuff that I use @ work (where i have business) that might not be available... Everything that i use is there, plus the media centre thing looks good too...

Advertisement