Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car privately in Ireland with N.I. Registration

Options
  • 09-08-2007 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi,

I have been offered a good deal on a Northern Ireland car.

The seller told me that she bought the car in the North but moved to the south recently and wishes to sell it.

It still has the northern registration.

Will I be okay to buy this and register it myself and just pay the VRT / NCT fees.
    I did a check on the plate with www.carcheck.com and all seemed fine (not stolen, correct milage etc) although there is only one listed "registered keeper".

Sorry, know these questions have probably been answered here a thousand times but I'd really appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Tommy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Hi Tommy,

Yeah as long as you pay the VRT and get it NCT it's yours. I would strongly suggest that you keep a copy of the UK logbook as the nice folk at the VRT office will take this off you and it is part of the history of the car.

You will be able to prove to people how many UK owners the car had before you bought it when you sell it on (the new Irsh logbook will just have you down as the only owner)

Just for your info Tommy

Registered keeper = owner

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hi,

I have been offered a good deal on a Northern Ireland car.

The seller told me that she bought the car in the North but moved to the south recently and wishes to sell it.

It still has the northern registration.

Will I be okay to buy this and register it myself and just pay the VRT / NCT fees.
    I did a check on the plate with www.carcheck.com and all seemed fine (not stolen, correct milage etc) although there is only one listed "registered keeper".

Sorry, know these questions have probably been answered here a thousand times but I'd really appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Tommy

I'm not sure how comprehensive the checks are that the above company provide but definately make sure it is a full UK HPI check which includes service history, mileage verification, MOT failures and insurance claims if any. Get the service history from the owner and ring the garages to verify it.

If all checks out and you buy it then you go to the VRO office and pay the VRT on it. Just remember that you pay VRT on the price that Revenue value the car to be worth in the Republic, not the price you paid for the car. Once you pay the VRT, the VRO office will issue you an Irish reg number and you will be able to tax the car here. You should then be able to book the car in for the NCT test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ballinasloe

Thanks for that info lads, think that clears things up for me now.

Basically, the morst important thing here is to make sure I get all documentation and that it check out I suppose.

Advertisement